Getting Back to Following the Rules in the Political Forum

bullets13

Alright ladies and gentleman, we're going to get back to being respectful and following site rules.  It's perfectly acceptable to have debates, even to criticize someone's position, without name calling and insults.  When a topic is started, sometimes they can move in different directions, but people should not be bringing up arguments from other threads and intentionally derailing topics.  There are a few members on here who like to start it, but several more who get drawn into it (it's happened to me from time to time myself).  I don't care if you start it or not, I'm going to start issuing warnings, and if need be, bans.  I don't care if it's a new member or someone who's been on the site for 10 years and has 20,000 posts.  Words like moron, snowflake, dingleberry, idiot, etc. etc. etc. are going to start getting warnings.  If someone calls you one, bite your tongue and let me handle it.  Or don't, and get a warning yourself.  I've really tried to let a lot of this slide because I think it's good for the site to have people from both sides of an argument talking and debating, but it's only good when people are respectful (or at least trying to make a point beyond calling someone stupid).  Thanks in advance for your cooperation!

26 minutes ago, bullets13 said:

Alright ladies and gentleman, we're going to get back to being respectful and following site rules.  It's perfectly acceptable to have debates, even to criticize someone's position, without name calling and insults.  When a topic is started, sometimes they can move in different directions, but people should not be bringing up arguments from other threads and intentionally derailing topics.  There are a few members on here who like to start it, but several more who get drawn into it (it's happened to me from time to time myself).  I don't care if you start it or not, I'm going to start issuing warnings, and if need be, bans.  I don't care if it's a new member or someone who's been on the site for 10 years and has 20,000 posts.  Words like moron, snowflake, dingleberry, idiot, etc. etc. etc. are going to start getting warnings.  If someone calls you one, bite your tongue and let me handle it.  Or don't, and get a warning yourself.  I've really tried to let a lot of this slide because I think it's good for the site to have people from both sides of an argument talking and debating, but it's only good when people are respectful (or at least trying to make a point beyond calling someone stupid).  Thanks in advance for your cooperation!

Probably a good thing…

I will ask some objective clarification questions though.

1. How many warnings before you get some time off?

2. Can these warnings result in banishment?

3. Will this be the entire site or just the Political Forum?

4. Is there a list of bad words to go by? I know the F bomb is bad, but what about words like bunghole?

Thanks. 

7 hours ago, SmashMouth said:

Probably a good thing…

I will ask some objective clarification questions though.

1. How many warnings before you get some time off?

2. Can these warnings result in banishment?

3. Will this be the entire site or just the Political Forum?

4. Is there a list of bad words to go by? I know the F bomb is bad, but what about words like bunghole?

Thanks. 

1.  Depends on how bad the infraction is.

2. if it’s persistent 

3.  It’ll be the entire site, but I’ll be watching this forum closely because it accounts for the majority of these things.

4. Use common sense.  I’m not going to get worked up over certain words not used in attacks.  Idiot isn’t a bad word, but if you call another member that, it’s breaking site rules.  Bunghole is probably okay, but again, not in a personal attack.  F-word is one of those bad infractions listed in #1

1 hour ago, bullets13 said:

1.  Depends on how bad the infraction is.

2. if it’s persistent 

3.  It’ll be the entire site, but I’ll be watching this forum closely because it accounts for the majority of these things.

4. Use common sense.  I’m not going to get worked up over certain words not used in attacks.  Idiot isn’t a bad word, but if you call another member that, it’s breaking site rules.  Bunghole is probably okay, but again, not in a personal attack.  F-word is one of those bad infractions listed in #1

I appreciate your efforts, but I don’t think the other forums (football) will get the same scrutiny. No matter to me, just making an observation. 

10 hours ago, SmashMouth said:

I appreciate your efforts, but I don’t think the other forums (football) will get the same scrutiny. No matter to me, just making an observation. 

I'm going to help him.  I think the main thing is when two members start insulting each other and get completely off the topic discussed. There is one poster that is an EXPERT at getting people off topic and attacking him, and vice versa...... That is unproductive and adds no value to the topic or conversation....I honestly do not see much of that in the other forums 

1 hour ago, thetragichippy said:

I'm going to help him.  I think the main thing is when two members start insulting each other and get completely off the topic discussed. There is one poster that is an EXPERT at getting people off topic and attacking him, and vice versa...... That is unproductive and adds no value to the topic or conversation....I honestly do not see much of that in the other forums 

I totally agree. I don’t see as much in other forums either. But it is present.