Manvel mavericks vs crosby cougars

lcm93

10 hours ago, Mr. Buddy Garrity said:

This!! It tells me they don't have a QB2 right now. They better develop one ASAP just in case. 

We have a QB2. He's the one that did most of the damage against Angleton in the scrimmage. He has a beautiful stroke but he can't run like Myles. Played jv last week against New Caney but has been moved up to backup Myles this week in Manvel. Throws the deep ball like almost like Jaiden Howard did but he's about 6'/145lbs so durability is a concern. 

As far as the personnel Crosby will be lining up with, it's typical Manvel:

Receiver: Andre Thompson - small, but extremely fast guy. Probably the next Jaylen Waddle/Jojo Earle type kid. Already holds SEC, ACC and PAC 12 offers after his freshman year. Isiah King plays on the outside and is your typical X, already hold multiple SEC and power 5 offers going into his junior year

Linemen: OT Tevin Shaw goes about 6-5/285lbs and is committed to UH. Defensive tackle goes about 6-4/265 and is committed to Purdue. DE/Edge is 6-4/220 and committed to Boston College

Defensive back: One safety is committed to Stanford and the other one is committed to Colorado State. I guess we get break this year since they don't have their normal shutdown corners like Trent Gordon last year?

Linebacker: Justin Medlock is committed to Miami and they have a '24 kid who doesn't hold any notable offers but looks like he's going to be just as good as Brian Johnson when he was there. 

Running backs: Starter doesn't hold any power 5 offers but it looks like about half the Ivy League has offered him. Backup transferred from Shadow Creek last year and ran for over 1,000 yards also. He's a smaller, quicker guy who I think might actually be the most trouble for Crosby. 

Quarterback: He's a junior and just played a pretty much flawless game against Dickinson in his first varsity start. Completed 15 passes to 8 different receivers. Don't see any dropoff at all from that position vs last year with Gabe Larry. Very good chance you see Malik Hornsby type play out of him his next couple of years under center. 

Other than that though, we shouldn't have any issues. 

14 hours ago, CougarCal said:

I think they ran #5 side to side for 3 1/2 qtrs and that could’ve been why the run was successful late in the 4th.  The QB from Crosby went down awkward right before the end of the half then the cramps came.  Without him being able to run the offense was worse than it was in the 1st half.  You can’t get 5 turnovers and only score 17 points especially when one of those was a scoop and score, I agree with that.  Personally I’m hoping the run game is going to be solid to give the D some time off the field, but this week is going to be tough!

This is what the biggest issue was. When he went down before the half we thought he pulled his hamstring or did something to his ankle. Didn't realize it was cramps until he started cramping more in the second half. I think Coach P saw that and ran a very generic offense to try to protect him and keep him from having to run. You could see Cyrin rushing throws because he couldn't avoid anybody. At that point I think Coach P still thought playing with a limping Myles was better than trying to play Smith. 

You're right though. Can't score 17 points in the first half after you force four turnovers. Especially when you have the ball and a chance to make that 24-0/20-0. You heard the majority of the fans in our section screaming to take the three at the end of the first half but we work at refineries and revisionist history is always more accurate. 

1 hour ago, Cougar14.2 said:

As far as the personnel Crosby will be lining up with, it's typical Manvel:

Receiver: Andre Thompson - small, but extremely fast guy. Probably the next Jaylen Waddle/Jojo Earle type kid. Already holds SEC, ACC and PAC 12 offers after his freshman year. Isiah King plays on the outside and is your typical X, already hold multiple SEC and power 5 offers going into his junior year

Linemen: OT Tevin Shaw goes about 6-5/285lbs and is committed to UH. Defensive tackle goes about 6-4/265 and is committed to Purdue. DE/Edge is 6-4/220 and committed to Boston College

Defensive back: One safety is committed to Stanford and the other one is committed to Colorado State. I guess we get break this year since they don't have their normal shutdown corners like Trent Gordon last year?

Linebacker: Justin Medlock is committed to Miami and they have a '24 kid who doesn't hold any notable offers but looks like he's going to be just as good as Brian Johnson when he was there. 

Running backs: Starter doesn't hold any power 5 offers but it looks like about half the Ivy League has offered him. Backup transferred from Shadow Creek last year and ran for over 1,000 yards also. He's a smaller, quicker guy who I think might actually be the most trouble for Crosby. 

Quarterback: He's a junior and just played a pretty much flawless game against Dickinson in his first varsity start. Completed 15 passes to 8 different receivers. Don't see any dropoff at all from that position vs last year with Gabe Larry. Very good chance you see Malik Hornsby type play out of him his next couple of years under center. 

Other than that though, we shouldn't have any issues. 

Lol , they don’t want none of your kicker though!

22 minutes ago, Mr. Buddy Garrity said:

Damn kicker could probably hit from 60 yds out. Im not kidding either. 

There's actually a video of him hitting from 60 in one of his workouts. I believe it was 47 yards he hit from easily earlier in the game. 35 yards would've been a chipshot for him. I commend coach for believing in what he had on the field though. Kid that dropped the open 4th down play is our best receiver and catches that ball 99/100 times. As long as everybody can stay upright I think you'll learn more about Crosby this week than you did last Thursday. 

31 minutes ago, Cougar14.2 said:

There's actually a video of him hitting from 60 in one of his workouts. I believe it was 47 yards he hit from easily earlier in the game. 35 yards would've been a chipshot for him. I commend coach for believing in what he had on the field though. Kid that dropped the open 4th down play is our best receiver and catches that ball 99/100 times. As long as everybody can stay upright I think you'll learn more about Crosby this week than you did last Thursday. 

Last kick on this video is from 63!!! I know it's practice, but the kid is special.

This is the hidden content, please

18 hours ago, bullets13 said:

Not an unreasonable response.  I will say that if he wasn’t worried about winning the game as much as working on the things you say, I don’t know why he had the qb in risking injury when he could barely walk.  

It seemed like we did not have a backup QB. I do not know why that's the case but they put a wide receiver in at QB that i've never seen play QB. 

Also, if your medical staff is sure it's just cramps then I don't think the risk of injury is particularly high. 

I also, noticed we said similar things last year, Prieto seems to treat pre-district as a pre-season not the reason we lost that would be not scoring on 5 turnovers, however this wasn't a throw the sink at them moment either. I'm sure Carthage was pretty vanilla as well. That TE play is hard to stop if they don't stop themselves. 

8 hours ago, Cougar14.2 said:

We have a QB2. He's the one that did most of the damage against Angleton in the scrimmage. He has a beautiful stroke but he can't run like Myles. Played jv last week against New Caney but has been moved up to backup Myles this week in Manvel. Throws the deep ball like almost like Jaiden Howard did but he's about 6'/145lbs so durability is a concern. 

So he was ineligible for the game because he played jv correct. 

On 8/30/2021 at 9:18 AM, Cougar14.2 said:

Your defense isn't that great dude, at least it wouldn't be in 5A. It should've been 31-7 at a minimum at halftime. It was poor offensive execution on our part just like y'all feel it was poor execution on Carthage's part in the first half. Jones rushed for 102 yards on 14 carries so it's not like y'all played the run great. If Myles is healthy and can take off and run the whole game it's a different story. There was virtually no RPO game with him limping around like that.

You're infatuated with trying to prove what y'all are but just needed a late game kick return to beat the #12 team in 5A-D2. We lost to Manvel by 33 points last year and still went to the D2 finals, even inside of 5A it's a whole different level of competition. In 2016 Crosby played Manvel in week 2 and lost by 14 points. The next week Manvel played North Shore and only beat them by 13 points. Not in anybody's wildest dream did they think Crosby was only one point worse than NS.  

If I'm not mistaken. All 17 offensive points was in a short field. 5 turnovers, 17 points. Don't talk about if so and so is healthy. 2nd online and 3rd running back. If we had our first offense, yall may not have scored. 

30 minutes ago, ctown81 said:

If I'm not mistaken. All 17 offensive points was in a short field. 5 turnovers, 17 points. Don't talk about if so and so is healthy. 2nd online and 3rd running back. If we had our first offense, yall may not have scored. 

The pass to Kirkwood was with the short field however after the missed tackles nobody was going to run him down even if we played on 150 yrd fields. 

34 minutes ago, ctown81 said:

You can play both 

Someone else may have a difference of opinion on what this says, but I do not believe you can play both. Scrimmages, yes because that is practice. Here is what I found.

(1)   Maximum Number of Regular Season Games. No team or student shall participate in more than 10 games during the 11-week regular season, prior to bi-district play. Exception: See below for ten-team districts that zone. Some districts do not play bi-district games and have 12 weeks to play 10 regular season games.

(3) Minimum Time Between Regular Season Games. Up to and including the final district game, no team or student in any conference shall be permitted to take part in more than one game within five calendar days. Example: A team playing Saturday night cannot play again until the following Thursday night. A team playing Monday night could play any time on Saturday.

1 hour ago, ctown81 said:

No, only the field goal was on the short field. Lol, you just said don’t say “if” and then said “if”. Y’all needed a kick return to win and we “may not have scored”. Lol, I got you though bro. Good win. We’ll see how well Crosby plays the rest of the year to see how good a team y’all actually beat. 

14 minutes ago, Cougar14.2 said:

No, only the field goal was on the short field. Lol, you just said don’t say “if” and then said “if”. Y’all needed a kick return to win and we “may not have scored”. Lol, I got you though bro. Good win. We’ll see how well Crosby plays the rest of the year to see how good a team y’all actually beat. 

I hope Crosby does VERY well. Talk about a special team's td to win, heck I thought we would lose bc we were undermanned. Yall lost to an average offense. 17 points to show for 5 turnovers, 2 classification difference and you talk about how we needed a kick return to win? Lol we shouldnt have won. 

1 hour ago, ctown81 said:

I hope Crosby does VERY well. Talk about a special team's td to win, heck I thought we would lose bc we were undermanned. Yall lost to an average offense. 17 points to show for 5 turnovers, 2 classification difference and you talk about how we needed a kick return to win? Lol we shouldnt have won. 

I agree with everything you said. Judging from the way Nederland and PNG were able to beat their 4A-D2 opponents you would probably have to say Crosby is projected to finish no better than third in the district right now. 

7 hours ago, Cougar14.2 said:

I agree with everything you said. Judging from the way Nederland and PNG were able to beat their 4A-D2 opponents you would probably have to say Crosby is projected to finish no better than third in the district right now. 

Pretty sure you would have beat those teams too remember there is a large gap between carthage  and everyone else in 4ad2

10 hours ago, ctown81 said:

Carthage might be 4AD2 in enrollment, but everyone knows their football numbers are WAY higher than the average 4AD2. Athletes flock to places like Carthage. 2 classification difference doesn't hold water in this case.

Highlights from the Dickinson vs Manvel game last week. Looks like special teams cost them in the kicking game. Gave up a td on a blocked kick return, gave up two points on a blocked XP attempt and missed a chip shot field goal at the end of the game to tie and send it to overtime: 

This is the hidden content, please