Super Gold Team

11 minutes ago, whsalum said:

I’m amazed no one has mentioned Barrett from Huffman in the COY discussion. Guy lost 2 games all season and one was the state championship. He beat some clubs with more talent. He did all this with one really good player and about 6 guys who bought in to a system. 

Huffman doesn't qualify for Beaumont Enterprise awards. Out of their coverage area.

57 minutes ago, JayBilas said:

I'm even MORE amazed that the UNDEFEATED 5A state championship coach is not coach of the year....THAT IS RIDICULOUS.  Congrats to David Green from Beaumont United on a perfect season, because its obvious that people in SE Texas think that all you did was roll the balls out and won state! Utterly RIDICULOUS.

Correction. Some people.

3 hours ago, whsalum said:

I’m amazed no one has mentioned Barrett from Huffman in the COY discussion. Guy lost 2 games all season and one was the state championship. He beat some clubs with more talent. He did all this with one really good player and about 6 guys who bought in to a system. 

He’s from the Houston area, that dude is a heck of a coach. I think United was pre-season ranked number 2 and 1 in some polls, they will prob win it against next year green did a great job job, you had about 4 coaches in the area that could have gotten it, all 4 great coaches but I’m not mad that Mitchell got it over those 4...can’t go wrong with Green, Mitchell, Sutherland, or Prouse they all had great years and 2 out 4 of those coaches really had seasons that nobody expected they would have, United and EC they were expected to make a run at winning it all this year.. just like every year they are expected to have a shot.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Anyone who gets an award from Beaumont Enterprise has earned the accolade.  I will however never agree to how the decisions are made, emotional with questionable analytical stats to back up those decisions once the list has been made.  

Congrats to the recipients but it is pointless to argue about them because it will be the same thing next year.

jmo

On 4/29/2021 at 6:07 AM, 5GallonBucket said:

Lumberton preseason ranked 6th in district

Lost 4 starters and the 6th man to graduation.

Won district for 1st time ever

Ranked in Tabc poll for 1st time ever 

Went 3 rounds deep 

Not sure what United s preseason rank was but I’m sure it was top 5

And was ranked at the top most the year.

Picked to win their district

They have what.....4 .....5 d1 players.

They were suppose to win it....had they lost it would ve been a let down.

Not taking away from green and staff ......they did a great job.

I respect your opinion but givin the WHOLE picture enterprise got it right.

Lumberton fans feel they won state by beating Silsbee last year😂😂😂😂😂. A team made mostly of 9th nd 10th graders. 

1 hour ago, BADSANTA said:

Lumberton fans feel they won state by beating Silsbee last year😂😂😂😂😂. A team made mostly of 9th nd 10th graders. 

I’m not a Lumberton alumni, I don’t live in Lumberton, my kids don’t attend Lumberton, and I don’t work for Lumberton

im not taking away from green s coaching....but 

why didn’t Phil Jackson win coty every year during Jordan/pippin years and Kobe/Shaq years.....Phil won it once 

givin the whole picture id have sigler before green as coty.

Sigler doesn't get the credit he deserves from a lot of people. Even back when Silsbee was in the middle of their title runs, some folks were acting like he just went in to his office and took a nap while the kids sorted things out.

Based on the really early preview from what little I've seen, next year could be a whole lot of fun for the Tigers. Gonna have to wait till football is over though. That's just how it is now.

I get why Green should be coach of the year though. Winning a title ain't ever easy, even for a team as good as United.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/29/2021 at 4:39 PM, Tigers94 said:

Sigler doesn't get the credit he deserves from a lot of people. Even back when Silsbee was in the middle of their title runs, some folks were acting like he just went in to his office and took a nap while the kids sorted things out.

Based on the really early preview from what little I've seen, next year could be a whole lot of fun for the Tigers. Gonna have to wait till football is over though. That's just how it is now.

I get why Green should be coach of the year though. Winning a title ain't ever easy, even for a team as good as United.

One of the most impressive things about Sigler to me is that he is still doing it.  He’s done it long enough, he could have ridden into the sunset with his rings and a full retirement.  Kudos to him for continuing to impact young men’s lives for the love of the game.  

The enterprise needs to give out awards in small and big school divisions, but they won't, it's too much work.  To only have ten spots for kids from however many local schools (50? 100?  Not sure what their coverage area is), they're clearly trying to avoid giving out 3-4 awards to one school. they easily could've done that with United this year, and Silsbee in years past.  The Super Gold teams have never been done well.  In high school I was a 4-year first team all-district soccer player, was offensive MVP of the district twice, and set season and career school records in goals and points that haven't been broken 17 years later, and I never even made second team.  One year two players from my district who scored less goals and had less assists than me both made the team ahead of me in the same position.  It's a cool honor for those who receive it, but those that are left out shouldn't put any stock in it.