candidates for the HF basketball Job

On 5/4/2021 at 5:30 PM, The Dragon said:

Those three guys mentioned have really good resumes.  Who's the best basketball coach of the three?  I'm talking about Saveat, Travis, and Walter Yates...let's not make this about Mitchell!  Two of those guys should be able to keep the Beaumont connections open.

Next question is who is transferring?  Back to United or maybe West Brook?  East Chambers has some cap space available I hear.

Let’s be real though. This influx of kids to HF is really actually hurting HJ. Those are the kids they usually get. I think it’s good for HF to be competitive. 

46 minutes ago, Cougar1999 said:

I personally like the current assistant coach. Coach Cam is young and already has the relationship with my son and the other players. Of 3 named here, only Coach Saveat would fit the makeup of the school and players. Hopefully they keep Coach Cam. I'd like to see that preferably.

Ok, that's fair enough, but what does "fit the makeup of the school and players" mean, exactly? Just curious.

46 minutes ago, JayBilas said:

Ok, that's fair enough, but what does "fit the makeup of the school and players" mean, exactly? Just 

Personality wise Coach Saveat is similar to Coach Rideaux and would fit that of the kids and parents coming in from the outside. Many of the kids would be familiar with his name and face being he's the former head coach at Ozen. But like I said the protect fit for the job would be the current assistant Coach. Young and very knowledgeable about the game. Was the JV coach so he's also familiar with all the young talent. He would also be looking to start his own legacy I believe and would be at HF for some years. Coach Knowles, who coached him in high school and is also on the coaching staff, is about as good as it gets as far as wisdom and knowledge to draw from. 

7 minutes ago, Cougar1999 said:

Personality wise Coach Saveat is similar to Coach Rideaux and would fit that of the kids and parents coming in from the outside. Many of the kids would be familiar with his name and face being he's the former head coach at Ozen. But like I said the protect fit for the job would be the current assistant Coach. Young and very knowledgeable about the game. Was the JV coach so he's also familiar with all the young talent. He would also be looking to start his own legacy I believe and would be at HF for some years. Coach Knowles, who coached him in high school and is also on the coaching staff, is about as good as it gets as far as wisdom and knowledge to draw from. 

Ok, I get it. You are aware that Yates and Williams were also Ozen assistants under Boutte, when Rideaux was a player there, before becoming head coaches right? They have VERY similar approaches and have all been effective as head coaches.  They did interviews with those guys today, so I guess it won't be long now. 

41 minutes ago, JayBilas said:

Ok, I get it. You are aware that Yates and Williams were also Ozen assistants under Boutte, when Rideaux was a player there, before becoming head coaches right? They have VERY similar approaches and have all been effective as head coaches.  They did interviews with those guys today, so I guess it won't be long now. 

I've seen Coach Williams coach when he was at Memorial and unless he has changed his style of coaching, he not going to work there at all. All that yelling and cursing? Them boys will walk off first week of practice. Rideaux got on they butts, but never cursed at them like I've seen and heard about some of these coaches. That's not going to fly there at all. They are use to being coached hard, but these kids aren't in no way form or fashion use to being cursed at. It's not just about Xs and Os, you have to fit the personalities and culture of the school and players.  Parents not going for that either, I can promise you that 🤣

On 5/7/2021 at 7:20 PM, Cougar1999 said:

I've seen Coach Williams coach when he was at Memorial and unless he has changed his style of coaching, he not going to work there at all. All that yelling and cursing? Them boys will walk off first week of practice. Rideaux got on they butts, but never cursed at them like I've seen and heard about some of these coaches. That's not going to fly there at all. They are use to being coached hard, but these kids aren't in no way form or fashion use to being cursed at. It's not just about Xs and Os, you have to fit the personalities and culture of the school and players.  Parents not going for that either, I can promise you that 🤣

Great post

The times I saw the JV Coach Knowles was running the club. If they are looking for someone who knows the game he would be a great choice. Coach Williams would also be a great choice. If you’re worried about the team walking off the floor the first time someone gets on them they’re not going to be successful no matter who is on the bench. I’ve watched Coach Williams for years and while he is always animated I’ve never seen him belittle the kids. I would think HF would want a coach in place ASAP to give the new guy the chance to learn his club over the summer.

15 hours ago, whsalum said:

The times I saw the JV Coach Knowles was running the club. If they are looking for someone who knows the game he would be a great choice. Coach Williams would also be a great choice. If you’re worried about the team walking off the floor the first time someone gets on them they’re not going to be successful no matter who is on the bench. I’ve watched Coach Williams for years and while he is always animated I’ve never seen him belittle the kids. I would think HF would want a coach in place ASAP to give the new guy the chance to learn his club over the summer.

Coach Knowles coached the 9th grade team, Coach Cam coaches the JV. You might had been at a game when Coach cam was out sick for a week. Understand I'm a head coach myself and know the coaching styles of all the local coaches as players and coaches talk. He's a great coach not doubt, but not everyone's style and personality fits the culture and students of a school. I know every single one of those players. When you're coaching kids with various options for going to college, you have to find balance. It's not basketball or bust for the overall majority of this team at all. Many of them will get academic scholarships or family has the means to pay for college. They playing for the love of the game and/or the attention from girls lol. Rideaux was a special coach and person who had a way of getting a lot of these guys to play well above their level in many cases. His shoes will be very hard to fill. That team no doubt has a lot of potential. Will have at least 4 players averaging double digits with two averaging at least 15-20pts 10rebs 

6 hours ago, Cougar1999 said:

Coach Knowles coached the 9th grade team, Coach Cam coaches the JV. You might had been at a game when Coach cam was out sick for a week. Understand I'm a head coach myself and know the coaching styles of all the local coaches as players and coaches talk. He's a great coach not doubt, but not everyone's style and personality fits the culture and students of a school. I know every single one of those players. When you're coaching kids with various options for going to college, you have to find balance. It's not basketball or bust for the overall majority of this team at all. Many of them will get academic scholarships or family has the means to pay for college. They playing for the love of the game and/or the attention from girls lol. Rideaux was a special coach and person who had a way of getting a lot of these guys to play well above their level in many cases. His shoes will be very hard to fill. That team no doubt has a lot of potential. Will have at least 4 players averaging double digits with two averaging at least 15-20pts 10rebs 

The biggest challenge a young coach would face at HF would be actually coaching the team. I know you know this team very well but sometimes I think you give them more credit than they deserve. Looking at them from a fan’s standpoint you see a club that finished their previous season tied for the 3-4 playoff spot. They were supposed to have a loaded JV club but finished either 2nd or 3rd at that level. I could be wrong but I didn’t see the ability to put up the scoring numbers you predict. I hope for the kids sake they get their coach hired pretty quick where they can all get on the same page.

46 minutes ago, whsalum said:

The biggest challenge a young coach would face at HF would be actually coaching the team. I know you know this team very well but sometimes I think you give them more credit than they deserve. Looking at them from a fan’s standpoint you see a club that finished their previous season tied for the 3-4 playoff spot. They were supposed to have a loaded JV club but finished either 2nd or 3rd at that level. I could be wrong but I didn’t see the ability to put up the scoring numbers you predict. I hope for the kids sake they get their coach hired pretty quick where they can all get on the same page.

An HF team that a very young Silsbee team handled fairly easily in the first round of the playoffs. Tigers won that game by 25.

8 minutes ago, AggiesAreWe said:

An HF team that a very young Silsbee team handled fairly easily in the first round of the playoffs. Tigers won that game by 25.

Hamshire Fannett's best player not able to play varsity last season, correct? Would he have not made somewhat of a difference in that game?

1 hour ago, whsalum said:

I don't know that this job is tailor made for a young coach at this juncture, as previously thought.  A young coach could do well here, but its a lot of moving parts going on in HF right now, and a new coach will have to somehow hold all of this together which could be challenging on an inexperienced guy.  Gotta figure out how to get and keep their kids at HF first and foremost, then compete with experienced wining programs like HJ and Silsbee in the playoffs.  Williams has been there, and so has Yates. I hear Savaet has decided not to interview for this one, but that has not been confirmed.

2 hours ago, JayBilas said:

Hamshire Fannett's best player not able to play varsity last season, correct? Would he have not made somewhat of a difference in that game?

I don't know that this job is tailor made for a young coach at this juncture, as previously thought.  A young coach could do well here, but its a lot of moving parts going on in HF right now, and a new coach will have to somehow hold all of this together which could be challenging on an inexperienced guy.  Gotta figure out how to get and keep their kids at HF first and foremost, then compete with experienced wining programs like HJ and Silsbee in the playoffs.  Williams has been there, and so has Yates. I hear Savaet has decided not to interview for this one, but that has not been confirmed.

Yeah Silsbee put it to Fannett in the playoffs 

On 5/10/2021 at 4:15 PM, whsalum said:

You must have seen them after injuries hit the team. Losing your leading scorer and who the offense was ran through hurts, as well as losing a young guard who had cracked the starting line up and was giving them 10pts a game. Both were out a month or more. They basically lost 30 pts and 15 rebounds a game between the two for a month. Then their big man got hurt and was out for a few district games. As far as the JV goes, they were all mostly freshman with the exception of one player who coaches were scared of in that district and got him ineligible. He'll be there next year along with every single key player on varsity from last year. As far as Coach Frank is concerned, he was the JV coach and assistant coach so every player from top to bottom has a relationship with him and was coached by him directly. He ran the training sessions. He also was the assistant coach at Magnolia before coming to HF so he has the experience needed. 

On 5/10/2021 at 5:23 PM, JayBilas said:

No one is leaving HF as they are all HF kids. That transfer nonsense needs to stop as only one player on varsity next year will not be a 3-4 year letterman or underclassman and that particular kid is my son and went to HF elementary school before being homeschooled and then attending the charter school where I work from 5th-1th grade. Some folks just really thought they was smart and that I would transfer him to BU or WB because he couldn't play his Jr. year. Nah bruh he's an academic scholar with a 4.0 gpa who just happens to be great at basketball. All they did was just delay the inevitable. 

On 5/10/2021 at 8:03 PM, Southeastxsports2020 said:

Yeah Silsbee put it to Fannett in the playoffs 

They was playing a limping HF team. No discredit to the kids from Silsbee as they have a few bonafide players for sure, but that wasn't a full powered HF team. Will be a great game next year if they get the opportunity to match up again.

5 hours ago, whsalum said:

The “Real “ HF team?? Come on now. They were all healthy by the last time they played Huffman 

When they played Huffman, that was Denton's first game back after a month off with an ankle and he didn't start or play the whole game. He missed the first game with an ankle injury. He was their leading scorer and missed the previous 8 games which caused them to go 3-5. They were 10-2 before he went down. Now if you know anything about basketball, a player sitting for a month will take almost the same amount of time to get back into shape, especially with an ankle injury that almost end his season. He was averaging 17 and 12 before he got hurt. Not to mention the best player in the school and one of the tops in the area was on JV. So yeah, they weren't playing the real HF team. They will next year though.

7 hours ago, Cougar1999 said:

When they played Huffman, that was Denton's first game back after a month off with an ankle and he didn't start or play the whole game. He missed the first game with an ankle injury. He was their leading scorer and missed the previous 8 games which caused them to go 3-5. They were 10-2 before he went down. Now if you know anything about basketball, a player sitting for a month will take almost the same amount of time to get back into shape, especially with an ankle injury that almost end his season. He was averaging 17 and 12 before he got hurt. Not to mention the best player in the school and one of the tops in the area was on JV. So yeah, they weren't playing the real HF team. They will next year though.

Watched a game or two over the years so I’d like to think I’ve learned a little about the game. HF’s best player wasn’t in great shape in the second meeting against Huffman but foul trouble is what kept him sidelined not conditioning. I think the Longhorns were 2-3 in their last 5 games with their players back. I will admit however those 3 losses were to Huffman, HJ and Silsbee which were better clubs. The young man on the JV is going to be a nice addition but I don’t know if I would rank him as high as you do. I think HF’s JV club was 2nd or possibly 3rd in that district. I hope they get their coach hired soon where they can hit the court running in the fall.

14 hours ago, whsalum said:

Watched a game or two over the years so I’d like to think I’ve learned a little about the game. HF’s best player wasn’t in great shape in the second meeting against Huffman but foul trouble is what kept him sidelined not conditioning. I think the Longhorns were 2-3 in their last 5 games with their players back. I will admit however those 3 losses were to Huffman, HJ and Silsbee which were better clubs. The young man on the JV is going to be a nice addition but I don’t know if I would rank him as high as you do. I think HF’s JV club was 2nd or possibly 3rd in that district. I hope they get their coach hired soon where they can hit the court running in the fall.

lol I don't do rankings, there's enough out there that do and have him ranked high despite not playing last year. As far as SETX goes in his class he would be #3 behind Arceneaux and Sears as those are the only two from SETX that are ranked ahead of him. I would think Jim Hicks and Marcus Sloan know a thing or 2 about scouting as their rankings are always pretty accurate. You are correct in that Denton was not in shape when he came back

39 minutes ago, Cougar1999 said:

lol I don't do rankings, there's enough out there that do and have him ranked high despite not playing last year. As far as SETX goes in his class he would be #3 behind Arceneaux and Sears as those are the only two from SETX that are ranked ahead of him. I would think Jim Hicks and Marcus Sloan know a thing or 2 about scouting as their rankings are always pretty accurate. You are correct in that Denton was not in shape when he came back

What’s your opinion of the new coach?