LBJ vs Lindale Complaint was filed to UIL

LCMAlumtiger32

The local NAACP has filed a complaint with the UIL following Friday's state semifinal game between the Lindale Eagles and the Austin LBJ Jaguars. 

The Eagles won the game 31-28, but the NAACP believes it was because of unfair officiating. 

The president of the Austin NAACP asked the UIL to postpone Friday's state championship game until an investigation can be completed, but the UIL said that's not going to happen. 

It was after the Friday Night lights turned off in Humble, that LBJ Jaguar coach Jahmal Fenner had a chance to look over video of his team's loss during the state semifinal game.

"It just drove it home for me that what I felt during the game, that something wasn't right. It just confirmed it for me," Fenner said. 

After the first half of the game, the Jaguars led 28 to 7.
In the second half, Fenner said officials called 16 penalties on the Jaguars, while ignoring all but two penalties made by the Eagles.
The Eagles went on to win by a field goal after an LBJ touchdown was called back. 

"I don't feel like my players and my team lost that game solely because we played bad or we made bad calls. Yes, some of that did take place, but the officials had took part in some of that as well," said Fenner. 

Dozens of parents and players are also convinced something was up. Austin NAACP President Nelson Linder said he received about 60 calls and letters regarding officials at the game.
Although the NAACP doesn't usually get involved in high school football, Linder said this time he felt it was necessary.

"It was definitely a racial issue. I got some calls about racial slurs, people being ugly, nasty, no doubt about it," said Linder. 

"I don't like being a sportscaster. I'm not good at that, but I do understand what's right, what's wrong, what's fair, what's unfair. This to me is very, very clear. This was ugly. It should never have occurred in any sport for these young people. These kids, their spirits have been broken," he added. 

Linder asked the UIL to take action prior to the state championship game, which the Eagles play in on Friday night.

"Look at the tapes. Look at some of the complaints. Check out the referee's background, make a decision. Postpone tomorrow night's game, replay the game, come up with a fair solution where the best team, the deserving team, plays in the state championship," Linder said.

The UIL responded in a statement to Fox 7 Austin that reads, "All officials are agreed upon by both parties in advance of a game and per the UIL Constitution and Contest Rules section 1204, a protest based on a game or contest official’s decision will not be considered.  

While the UIL will not be formally investigating this matter, The Texas Association of Sports Officials has a process for reporting rule misapplication by an official and investigating such reports."

The NAACP has since responded, "We will definitely pursue this process further. Of course, we were intent upon filing the complaint before tomorrow night's championship game. It was important to let the students know that we knew they were treated unfairly. We will now take our concerns to the Texas Association of Sports Officials.

It’s important that these kinds of incidents are exposed to the public. We will also consider possible legal actions."

Lindale athletics did not respond to requests for comment.

47 minutes ago, LC-M said:

The local NAACP has filed a complaint with the UIL following Friday's state semifinal game between the Lindale Eagles and the Austin LBJ Jaguars. 

The Eagles won the game 31-28, but the NAACP believes it was because of unfair officiating. 

The president of the Austin NAACP asked the UIL to postpone Friday's state championship game until an investigation can be completed, but the UIL said that's not going to happen. 

It was after the Friday Night lights turned off in Humble, that LBJ Jaguar coach Jahmal Fenner had a chance to look over video of his team's loss during the state semifinal game.

"It just drove it home for me that what I felt during the game, that something wasn't right. It just confirmed it for me," Fenner said. 

After the first half of the game, the Jaguars led 28 to 7.
In the second half, Fenner said officials called 16 penalties on the Jaguars, while ignoring all but two penalties made by the Eagles.
The Eagles went on to win by a field goal after an LBJ touchdown was called back. 

"I don't feel like my players and my team lost that game solely because we played bad or we made bad calls. Yes, some of that did take place, but the officials had took part in some of that as well," said Fenner. 

Dozens of parents and players are also convinced something was up. Austin NAACP President Nelson Linder said he received about 60 calls and letters regarding officials at the game.
Although the NAACP doesn't usually get involved in high school football, Linder said this time he felt it was necessary.

"It was definitely a racial issue. I got some calls about racial slurs, people being ugly, nasty, no doubt about it," said Linder. 

"I don't like being a sportscaster. I'm not good at that, but I do understand what's right, what's wrong, what's fair, what's unfair. This to me is very, very clear. This was ugly. It should never have occurred in any sport for these young people. These kids, their spirits have been broken," he added. 

Linder asked the UIL to take action prior to the state championship game, which the Eagles play in on Friday night.

"Look at the tapes. Look at some of the complaints. Check out the referee's background, make a decision. Postpone tomorrow night's game, replay the game, come up with a fair solution where the best team, the deserving team, plays in the state championship," Linder said.

The UIL responded in a statement to Fox 7 Austin that reads, "All officials are agreed upon by both parties in advance of a game and per the UIL Constitution and Contest Rules section 1204, a protest based on a game or contest official’s decision will not be considered.  

While the UIL will not be formally investigating this matter, The Texas Association of Sports Officials has a process for reporting rule misapplication by an official and investigating such reports."

The NAACP has since responded, "We will definitely pursue this process further. Of course, we were intent upon filing the complaint before tomorrow night's championship game. It was important to let the students know that we knew they were treated unfairly. We will now take our concerns to the Texas Association of Sports Officials.

It’s important that these kinds of incidents are exposed to the public. We will also consider possible legal actions."

Lindale athletics did not respond to requests for comment.

So Austin ISD allowed this to happen.   

7 minutes ago, BMTSoulja1 said:

It said there were reports of several racial slurs being used.  That don’t sound like BS to me.  THAT is definitely grounds for an investigation.  

Pretty sure racial slurs during a football game has happened before. From both sides.

Not excusing the language, but I don't think it's worth investigating or postponing the championship game.

Now if it were the officials using that language, then I see cause.

5 minutes ago, BMTSoulja1 said:

It said there were reports of several racial slurs being used.  That don’t sound like BS to me.  THAT is definitely grounds for an investigation.  

How you going to investigate that ?  You get your ares kicked so play the race card  - I'm sure LBJ's team was full of Angels if they would of won nothing would of been said . BS calls happens to any and all teams that step on the field.

19 minutes ago, AggiesAreWe said:

Pretty sure racial slurs during a football game has happened before. From both sides.

Not excusing the language, but I don't think it's worth investigating or postponing the championship game.

Now if it were the officials using that language, then I see cause.

I took it as there were racial slurs from the officials. If that’s the case, that’s not cool at all... really it’s not cool if it was a player or an official, but you’d expect professionalism from Refs vs the opposing football team...

12 minutes ago, jayhawk said:

How you going to investigate that ?  You get your ares kicked so play the race card  - I'm sure LBJ's team was full of Angels if they would of won nothing would of been said . BS calls happens to any and all teams that step on the field.

Apparently, according the article, there are ways to investigate this...

2 minutes ago, BMTSoulja1 said:

I took it as there were racial slurs from the officials. If that’s the case, that’s not cool at all... really it’s not cool if it was a player or an official, but you’d expect professionalism from Refs vs the opposing football team...

You would think that’s what they meant, but it is not clearly identified. They need some clarification before making such a broad statement. 

47 minutes ago, BHFAN said:

Good lord, when will this BS ever stop! I’m so sick of race being brought into everything and only one sided. I guess we will just keep teaching another generation if something goes wrong just play the card.

Seems to be the norm these days, if you do not get the results YOU want.........geez, it IS getting very old....

9 hours ago, BMTSoulja1 said:

Do we really believe there are officials, who are working games for pennies, for the sole intent of ensuring one race of kids wins over another race of kids? And even if those guys are out there (which, for clarity, I do not believe they are), do we really believe they would be throwing racial slurs around exposing their nefarious intent during games? Come on man. 

9 hours ago, BMTSoulja1 said:

So, I watched the video of the link attached in LC-M's post. The man representing the NAACP specifically said "people" were saying racial slurs. He did not say officials. In a complaint based mostly on the way the game was officiated, one would have to think if the officials were the "people" throwing out racial slurs, this would have most certainly been mentioned.

10 hours ago, oldman said:

So Austin ISD allowed this to happen.   

Just to be clear Austin ISD doesn't have to let it happen as, the aggrieved party in this instance would be the students and thus it could be rolled out in any of their names. I have no info on if Austin ISD allowed or agreed to the lawsuit tho. It doesn't necessitate that they agreed to it for the NAACP to bring a case.