What Are The Keys To A Successful HS Football Program?

Obviously you have to have talented players. As legendary TCU coach Abe Martin liked to say, “Yew kain’t win without the hosses.â€

That’s fine for the major college programs and for the NFL. They can entice with recruiting pitches or simply draft the talent they want. But high schools generally have to go with the kids that grow up in their back yard. And it isn’t logical to think that for years and decades at a time the kids who grow up in one neighborhood are just naturally going to be more talented than the kids from the neighborhood down the road.

So why does one school produce dominant teams year after year? Why is it that some schools never seem to be competitive? Is it the coaching? Are the dominant schools so successful because they have the coaches and the system that makes better use of whatever talent happens to walk in the door?

What bullets said. Starting the kids out young helps alot. I think there's a few other things as well. As silly as it sounds, school spirit and tradition is a big one. When I was in elementary all i wanted to do was grow up and be a Bobcat, and all of my classmates felt that same way. At a young age we were taught it wasnt' "OK" to lose to Hardin and West Hardin, among other schools. Schools like Nederland, PNG, Newton ect. have great school spirit, pride and tradition.

Athletes staying in the same area is also a big deal for the smaller programs. If Dad, Uncle Joe and Cousin Jim were all great players on the '81 championship team, it helps if they still live in the district, passing on their genes and knowlege of tradition to thier children who will probably be decent players.

The last and most important thing (other than just having crazy atheltes) is a coach that can get in the heads of the players. If you have a head coach that can convince every kid on that team, that they will not lose, they will be successful. Trust me, dealing with 16-18 year boys, it's just as much mental and emotional as it is physical. If a coaching staff can make the guys honestly believe that they cannot and will not be beat, winning teams will come. I have never played for or been around Coach Hooks from WOS, but I believe that is how he produces great teams year in and year out. Coach Barbay at Newton is the same way. They may not be the best X's and O's coaches in the state, but they know how to motivate kids and make them believe in something greater than just playing a game.

That's just my .02 cents.

What bullets said. Starting the kids out young helps alot. I think there's a few other things as well. As silly as it sounds, school spirit and tradition is a big one. When I was in elementary all i wanted to do was grow up and be a Bobcat, and all of my classmates felt that same way. At a young age we were taught it wasnt' "OK" to lose to Hardin and West Hardin, among other schools. Schools like Nederland, PNG, Newton ect. have great school spirit, pride and tradition.

Athletes staying in the same area is also a big deal for the smaller programs. If Dad, Uncle Joe and Cousin Jim were all great players on the '81 championship team, it helps if they still live in the district, passing on their genes and knowlege of tradition to thier children who will probably be decent players.

The last and most important thing (other than just having crazy atheltes) is a coach that can get in the heads of the players. If you have a head coach that can convince every kid on that team, that they will not lose, they will be successful. Trust me, dealing with 16-18 year boys, it's just as much mental and emotional as it is physical. If a coaching staff can make the guys honestly believe that they cannot and will not be beat, winning teams will come. I have never played for or been around Coach Hooks from WOS, but I believe that is how he produces great teams year in and year out. Coach Barbay at Newton is the same way. They may not be the best X's and O's coaches in the state, but they know how to motivate kids and make them believe in something greater than just playing a game.

That's just my .02 cents.

So the coaching is a crucial element. Is it possible for the coaching impact to come from the assistant coaches and not necessarily from the head coach? Meaning that for a few years a school fields excellent teams because the assistant coaches are so good. But then when those coaches go elsewhere, moving onward and upward in their own careers, the school quickly goes downhill, even though they have the same head coach.

And how important can the psychological element be? If a school has been everyone’s favorite Homecoming opponent for the last several years do the kids there develop a mindset that they are inevitably going to lose? Do boys who could have played simply not bother to go out for the team?

And what if one school comes to think of another school as being their big rival? The team they wish more than anything else that they can beat. If that other team most always wins, do the kids at the losing school become so obsessed that every year they’re halfway beaten before they even walk out on the field? Because deep down they just don’t believe they can win? When one school constantly beats another school, does this kind of thing figure in and help explain why?

You're right about the possibilty of it being the entire staff, not just the head coach. If a program doesnt' have that "winning tradition", it takes a special coach to bring that along. That has happened to numerous schools in our area. Teams that weren't used to winning, and one coach comes along and the rest is history. A history of losing can take a toll on the kids psychologically, but it can be turned around. As far as the rivalry you're talking about I'll give you a good example. Hull-Daisetta vs. West Hardin is a big rivalry, and if you're not from around here, you really dont' know. It's our little version of midcounty madness every year. For years HD dominated the rivalry. From 1980 to 2000, I believe HD lead the series something like 17-3. I think a point came where WH didnt' know if they could win that game, they still played hard, probably the hardest they played all year to win, but mentally, a block was there. The coaching staff that is now in placed has turned that around. West Hardin has won 3 years(maybe 4) in a row if I'm not mistaken. The WH kids now not only feel that they can win the game, but that they should win the game. It may have been a couple years of great athlete classes coming through WH, down years at HD, or just gettin out there a leaving it all on the field, but the bottom line is that the coaching staff there either created that momentum or has kept it going. Now they dont' have that mental intimidation factor. HD is still a big rivalry, but now they're just another team that the Oilers feel they should beat. Every school can do that, but it takes something special. Most of the time it's a special coach or coaching staff that comes along and changes everything. What coach Haynes is doing at Hardin is a perfect example. Last year Deweyville beat Hardin 53-14, and this year Hardin won 48-6. Last year Hardin was 2-8, this year they are 5-0. I don't think pure athleticism on the field can change things around that quickly. It's their mental outlook that has changed how they perform on the field. The Hornets are playing with mental toughness and not intimidated by anyone. East Chambers will be a real test for them, to see if they can come out confident, but not cocky. It's a fine line that a great coach knows how to teach.

The best coach I ever had taught us to respect everyone, but fear no one.

Program success is a difficult thing to put your finger on.  If it was easy to have a successful football program, then everyone would do it.  I believe coaching is a factor, but quite frankly, I also believe that most of the coaches in Texas are at least capable and seldom are games won or lost on coaching alone.  I believe there must be a true committment within the school district to be successful at football.  It has to be important from the Superintendent all the way down to the guy who washes the jockstraps at the field house.  The school needs to be supportive of the program from top to bottom. The community has to be supportive from top to bottom.  All of your truly great programs have tremendous school and community support.  Unfortunately at some schools, Athletics and Football are just an afterthought that the top brass would like to eliminate if they could so they could go home early on Thursday and Friday nights.  Great Programs have an atitude oif doing everything better than their opponents, no matter what it takes to do that.  At some schools, coaches who are new to the district miss football time attending "New Teacher Orientation", at other places, this would be unheard of.  At some schools, coaches do not have to attend in service meetings during two a days, at other schools, coaches have to plan their two a days around teacher inservice.  At some schools they have 4 Jr High Coaches for the same amount of boys that other schools have 1 or 2 coaches for.  There are always differences on many levels and the great programs practice winning at every angle.

Just my take on it!

You're right about the possibilty of it being the entire staff, not just the head coach. If a program doesnt' have that "winning tradition", it takes a special coach to bring that along. That has happened to numerous schools in our area. Teams that weren't used to winning, and one coach comes along and the rest is history. A history of losing can take a toll on the kids psychologically, but it can be turned around. As far as the rivalry you're talking about I'll give you a good example. Hull-Daisetta vs. West Hardin is a big rivalry, and if you're not from around here, you really dont' know. It's our little version of midcounty madness every year. For years HD dominated the rivalry. From 1980 to 2000, I believe HD lead the series something like 17-3. I think a point came where WH didnt' know if they could win that game, they still played hard, probably the hardest they played all year to win, but mentally, a block was there. The coaching staff that is now in placed has turned that around. West Hardin has won 3 years(maybe 4) in a row if I'm not mistaken. The WH kids now not only feel that they can win the game, but that they should win the game. It may have been a couple years of great athlete classes coming through WH, down years at HD, or just gettin out there a leaving it all on the field, but the bottom line is that the coaching staff there either created that momentum or has kept it going. Now they dont' have that mental intimidation factor. HD is still a big rivalry, but now they're just another team that the Oilers feel they should beat. Every school can do that, but it takes something special. Most of the time it's a special coach or coaching staff that comes along and changes everything. What coach Haynes is doing at Hardin is a perfect example. Last year Deweyville beat Hardin 53-14, and this year Hardin won 48-6. Last year Hardin was 2-8, this year they are 5-0. I don't think pure athleticism on the field can change things around that quickly. It's their mental outlook that has changed how they perform on the field. The Hornets are playing with mental toughness and not intimidated by anyone. East Chambers will be a real test for them, to see if they can come out confident, but not cocky. It's a fine line that a great coach knows how to teach.

The best coach I ever had taught us to respect everyone, but fear no one.

Deweyville lost there hosses.

Program success is a difficult thing to put your finger on.  If it was easy to have a successful football program, then everyone would do it.  I believe coaching is a factor, but quite frankly, I also believe that most of the coaches in Texas are at least capable and seldom are games won or lost on coaching alone.  I believe there must be a true committment within the school district to be successful at football.  It has to be important from the Superintendent all the way down to the guy who washes the jockstraps at the field house.  The school needs to be supportive of the program from top to bottom. The community has to be supportive from top to bottom.  All of your truly great programs have tremendous school and community support.  Unfortunately at some schools, Athletics and Football are just an afterthought that the top brass would like to eliminate if they could so they could go home early on Thursday and Friday nights.  Great Programs have an atitude oif doing everything better than their opponents, no matter what it takes to do that.  At some schools, coaches who are new to the district miss football time attending "New Teacher Orientation", at other places, this would be unheard of.  At some schools, coaches do not have to attend in service meetings during two a days, at other schools, coaches have to plan their two a days around teacher inservice.  At some schools they have 4 Jr High Coaches for the same amount of boys that other schools have 1 or 2 coaches for.  There are always differences on many levels and the great programs practice winning at every angle.

Just my take on it!

Well put Fly.

Just my take on it!

Well put, I would agree with you about 100%. You are a coach for sure or you use to be one I can tell.

You have to have kids who want to play football from the time they can walk.  I remember the guys from PNG in the late 70s-early 80s.  They all looked like body builders because they wanted to be an indian so badly.  They were average athletes who overachieved.  I think the tradition makes all the difference.

You guys are right, it's all about tradition and believing. Some schools already have that, but usually the ones that turn things around, it comes from coaches who make the kids believe. I think it has to be a commitment from the entire community, but it starts with the kids on the field. If they believe they can win, and then they produce, the rest will follow and tradition is born.

Quality programs that are associated with quality coaches are usually supported by strong Administrative support.  Schools or districts that are weak administratively rarely have long term football success nor do they succeed in keeping quality coaches.

Quality programs with quality coaches are usually supported by quality administrative support.

The schools mentioned on this forum that frequently change coaches or those we refer to as being "headed in the right direction" every 3 or 4 years will usually lack strong administrations.  IMHO you can't succeed without strong administrative support.  We have quite a few schools in our area that are headed in the right direction every 3 or 4 years but never seem to get anywhere.

If that other team most always wins, do the kids at the losing school become so obsessed that every year they’re halfway beaten before they even walk out on the field? Because deep down they just don’t believe they can win? When one school constantly beats another school, does this kind of thing figure in and help explain why?

A sucessful program is to me, a program that substains a winning attitude year in year out. A program that's solid through to the core. A coaching staff that knows it's team's weakness and stengths. They utilizes these strengths to their advantage and stay a far from their weaknesses. The players believe in the system they are under. They believe in the coaches they play for. They respect the coaches they play for. The community supports the coaches and players. And with all this said, this translates to wins on Friday Night.

Also, some stability is very important. Look at some of these teams around that have had the same coaching staff for 10+ years. The kids starting running a scheme in junior high and it sticks with them til they graduate. They nearly perfect it. That helps a whole lot! These are also the schools that the coach is the almighty when it comes to decisions pertaining to football, not parents, school board, etc.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Kourt1
    Newest Member
    Kourt1