My my how the mighty have fallen

AggiesAreWe

I know it's been said many times but I just can't get over how the once and proud mighty LaMarque Cougar football program has fallen so far. I would say they are not even a shell of what they used to be.

Lost last night to my Silsbee Tigers 50-6.

I know there are a lot of factors involved but dang.

It really is sad.

16 minutes ago, AggiesAreWe said:

I know it's been said many times but I just can't get over how the once and proud mighty LaMarque Cougar football program has fallen so far. I would say they are not even a shell of what they used to be.

It really is sad.

The same La Marque that was just 3A ---couple years ago (2017) that got thumped by EC, lost to Hitchcock and barely squeezed past Hardin?  They fell off a while ago Mr. AAW.

Guest ECBucFan

Yes, the district was / is a trainwreck, and people were fleeing like crazy. They have dropped in classification and still haven't recoverd. The team is a joke and the fans are almost non existant. LaMarque has not been Lamarque recently at all. 

20 minutes ago, Makemineaconvertible said:

1990-2006 they were a powerhouse won 5 state titles and played for 3 others. Weren’t the on the verge of getting shut down and having to merge with Texas City?

La Marque ISD was shut down by the TEA (I believe in 2016) and La Marque HS is now a Texas City ISD school.

1 hour ago, AggiesAreWe said:

It really is sad.

I was thinking the same thing. When I was in high school LaMarque was #1 in what is now 5A, and as far as I know they stayed a major state force until at least 2011. They aren't even close to what they used to be. 

1 hour ago, AggiesAreWe said:

It really is sad.

Exactly wh I said I felt sorry for them I tag post last night.  Just hard to wrap my head around it.

I may be showing my age, but I remember when La Marque was a pretty stout (what is now) 6A school.  Like many areas, the La Marque area has experienced a steady decline in population.  As Soulja noted, last night, they are also facing the problem of having their talent poached by growing schools in the area (e.g, Dickinson).

I will never forget the 2011-2012 run where Beaumont Ozan upset Brenham who had loads of D1 talent plus New Orleans saints d tackle former longhorn 5 star athlete Malcolm brown at d tackle and tight end lol ... ozan would then play LaMarque in the pouring down rain , they beat ozan and we watched from underneath the bleachers through the cracks because the rain was coming down so heavily but my point is LaMarque was LOADED it wasn’t close , and to see them to from that far up to this far down losing badly to 4A schools when they were a “then 5A” powerhouse . (I do believe If that game wouldn’t of been played in the rain Beaumont ozan would’ve won they had a bad A quarterback who would later on start in college in the SWAC I believe but either way things sure have changed !

6 hours ago, AggiesAreWe said:

Never said how recent the fall has been. Just that they have fallen.

I know when the fall started. Just making an observation that they continue to fall.

I'd argue that they aren't continuing to fall.  They fell hard around 16-17 (rock bottom) and are a little better now.   No longer falling.  Especially with Mike Jackson out, they are definitely in a better spot now.

3 hours ago, burkevillealum98 said:

BURKEVILLE IS ANOTHER EXAMPLE OF A PROUD PROGRAM THAT HAS FALLEN ON HARD TIMES. I PLAYED AT BURKEVILLE FROM 94-97 AND NEVER LOST A DISTRICT GAME AND NOW BURKEVILLE IS IN THE PLAYOFFS AFTER A 10 YEAR HIATUS. 

Burkeville hasn't been relevant for 20+ years?  It just seems like they were winning rings the other day!   Wow