SETX Player Rankings

Cardinal 1

1 hour ago, Hooohead.com said:

If he is or isn't a residence of Cheeks then all they can do is appeal to UIL and hope for the best. I hate it for the kid tho. Never been in the situation with my daughter but I do know UIL doesnt like stepping on the toes of DEC. There in a place where you scratch my back and I'll have yours.

That's the thing, the residency was never in question. I've heard from a good source that his residency was never brought up or questioned that it was solely on the transfer for athletic reasons. Which is crazy if he's a resident of HF coming from a private school and going to HF high school, then it should have never been brought up to the DEC at all and definitely not voted against. Sounds like a coordinated action from some district foes who are running from competition. Remember only 4 teams can move into the playoffs and adding HJ and HF bumps two teams who would normally go to the playoffs out! It also makes the title between 3 teams instead of just two and with Ardoin, HF would have the slight advantage over Huffman the defending champs who lost to HF last year in the first round. They might split like last year with HJ again. They are pretty solid/well coached and return their key guys. 

28 minutes ago, Southeastxsports2020 said:

What it seems like to me is Fannett has 3 new kids from last year and a new one this year they put 2 and 2 together and figured something  isn’t adding up and there  is recruiting going on here and it needs to stop. That’s what it seems like is happening but who knows maybe there is more to it. 

Doesn't matter if the kids live in the district and HF are following UIL rules. They are an open enrollment school and as along as the players who aren't in the district sit out a year, then there's no violation. As far as the kid in question he's from that area and was going where his father worked which is a private charter school, not UIL or ISD affiliated. So him going to HF was perfectly within guidelines. Like I said in a previous comment. It seems as if some folks got together from other schools and decided they were going to vote no regardless of the facts. That's chicken shit and cowardly in my eyes that adults would attempt to hamper and kids career for a better opportunity at their school winning. The kid has every right to go and play where he's zoned too don't you agree?

Yeah I don’t know the story, what I do know you can’t recruit kids to come to your high school maybe they have proof of that but I have no clue but it’s kinda of suspicious that all these new players have came to Fannett in the last year. Big uil no no is recruiting so something else must be out there. These kids just don’t come to Fannett without talking to someone. Move ins happen all the time but 4 good players in a year span doesn’t add up. 

4 minutes ago, Cardinal 1 said:

Doesn't matter if the kids live in the district and HF are following UIL rules. They are an open enrollment school and as along as the players who aren't in the district sit out a year, then there's no violation. As far as the kid in question he's from that area and was going where his father worked which is a private charter school, not UIL or ISD affiliated. So him going to HF was perfectly within guidelines. Like I said in a previous comment. It seems as if some folks got together from other schools and decided they were going to vote no regardless of the facts. That's chicken shit and cowardly in my eyes that adults would attempt to hamper and kids career for a better opportunity at their school winning. The kid has every right to go and play where he's zoned too don't you agree?

I agree and it does seem like someone or someone's are working behind a closed door for the betterment of there school or Alma mater. If all the facts are as stated hopefully UIL can see thru the burning door if an appeal has been filed. I say again I feel bad for the kid whom I recently seen some video footage of playing ball. The kid can hoop. 

1 minute ago, Southeastxsports2020 said:

Yeah I don’t know the story, what I do know you can’t recruit kids to come to your high school maybe they have proof of that but I have no clue but it’s kinda of suspicious that all these new players have came to Fannett in the last year. Big uil no no is recruiting so something else must be out there. These kids just don’t come to Fannett without talking to someone. Move ins happen all the time but 4 good players in a year span doesn’t add up. 

I understand after watching alot of basketball lastyear. I know of the 2 kids from Beaumont United that went there and I would say they may not have played if they stayed at BU in front of last year's Freshman duo not to mention BU was stacked. 

1 minute ago, Hooohead.com said:

I understand after watching alot of basketball lastyear. I know of the 2 kids from Beaumont United that went there and I would say they may not have played if they stayed at BU in front of last year's Freshman duo not to mention BU was stacked. 

You can’t recruit kids for athletic reasons, 4 kids in a year don’t you think that seems fishy? 

I think it’s important to know who makes up the DEC. It’s not comprised of basketball coaches. The voting members of a DEC are Superintendents and Athletic Directors. To think school Superintendents got together to intentionally deny eligibility for one basketball player would be a stretch to say the least. I never understood why anyone would want to play basketball or any other sport anywhere in high school where he didn’t live. If a kid isn’t good enough to start in the BU program he probably isn’t going to get a scholarship to play college basketball by transferring to HF. I have no idea what the facts of this case are but if someone is denied eligibility there’s more to it than a group getting together and deciding to vote against a kid. The votes usually go in favor of the kids if there’s any doubt. 

20 minutes ago, whsalum said:

I think it’s important to know who makes up the DEC. It’s not comprised of basketball coaches. The voting members of a DEC are Superintendents and Athletic Directors. To think school Superintendents got together to intentionally deny eligibility for one basketball player would be a stretch to say the least. I never understood why anyone would want to play basketball or any other sport anywhere in high school where he didn’t live. If a kid isn’t good enough to start in the BU program he probably isn’t going to get a scholarship to play college basketball by transferring to HF. I have no idea what the facts of this case are but if someone is denied eligibility there’s more to it than a group getting together and deciding to vote against a kid. The votes usually go in favor of the kids if there’s any doubt. 

Even if the kid doesn't get a scholarship doesnt mean he doesnt want to play. Playing is on the court and not just being on the team. Theres only so many scholarships available every year. 13 in whole on the D1 level and being Beaumont is considered the greater Houston area of teams it only averages about 28 D1 scholarships a year. Theres alot more D2 , D3 and so forth scholarships available that require more money than some parents have the tendency to pay for so most end up at local colleges or go the other route and end up home in less than a year or a year at the most. Think about it...In the last 5 years how many D1 scholarships were awarded to kids in the Golden Triangle alone that doesnt have academic ties to them which is the way you would want for your child cause they understand the commitment to the studies that goes along with wanting to bounce a ball.

1 minute ago, Hooohead.com said:

Even if the kid doesn't get a scholarship doesnt mean he doesnt want to play. Playing is on the court and not just being on the team. Theres only so many scholarships available every year. 13 in whole on the D1 level and being Beaumont is considered the greater Houston area of teams it only averages about 28 D1 scholarships a year. Theres alot more D2 , D3 and so forth scholarships available that require more money than some parents have the tendency to pay for so most end up at local colleges or go the other route and end up home in less than a year or a year at the most. Think about it...In the last 5 years how many D1 scholarships were awarded to kids in the Golden Triangle alone that doesnt have academic ties to them which is the way you would want for your child cause they understand the commitment to the studies that goes along with wanting to bounce a ball.

I think we’re saying the exact same thing . In this most recent case the kid isn’t being denied the right to play. He can still play where he did last year and the year before.

From what I've read on here...Dad either was a Coach or teacher at Tekoa but not sure if he is still. The kid resides in Cheeks which is about I'm guessing 30 minutes or so from there and the DEC isn't allowing the kid to play Varsity at HF but eligible to attend school and play JV. There denying residency but saying the mi e was for athletics. Who's to say but the Dad that the kid would have been on Varsity since Basketball season just officially started Wednesday. Theres something spoiled in the fridge and DEC says it's not the fridge but something on the inside so instead we will throw it all out to stop the smell and refill the fridge nextyear If you get my drift cause 4 neighbors downwind smell it but 3 neighbors upwind dont.

It’s real simple you can’t recruit kids for athletics, Fannett has had 4 new players in a year because of recruiting, they are putting a stop to it, I mean most schools don’t get 4 good move ins in a year that play basketball. It’s not hard to see what’s going on here so it seems like the sups are putting a stop to it. 

2 hours ago, Southeastxsports2020 said:

It’s real simple you can’t recruit kids for athletics, Fannett has had 4 new players in a year because of recruiting, they are putting a stop to it, I mean most schools don’t get 4 good move ins in a year that play basketball. It’s not hard to see what’s going on here so it seems like the sups are putting a stop to it. 

I'm not defending no one. Zion Williamson said it a couple years back on why he didnt go to a powerhouse prep school. Not saying that's what HF has by no means " If you can Ball...they will find you". I'll say it again school ball is for the fans and community cause scholarships are earned thru summer ball unless theres a Hot ticket at the school your attending.

It's my understanding that the DEC found some discrepancies in the young man's PAPF. The DEC did their due diligence and found some things in the PAPF to be false.

DEC denied eligibility based on this info.

I honestly think the UIL will rule the same.

I have no clue about what school folks in Cheek is zoned to. I do know that some attend Hamshire-Fannett and some attend West Brook.

Also, some folks that reside in the HF school zone have Beaumont zip codes. But zip codes mean nothing when speaking of residency and school districts.

2 hours ago, AggiesAreWe said:

It's my understanding that the DEC found some discrepancies in the young man's PAPF. The DEC did their due diligence and found some things in the PAPF to be false.

DEC denied eligibility based on this info.

I honestly think the UIL will rule the same.

I have no clue about what school folks in Cheek is zoned to. I do know that some attend Hamshire-Fannett and some attend West Brook.

Also, some folks that reside in the HF school zone have Beaumont zip codes. But zip codes mean nothing when speaking of residency and school districts.

What is PAPF?

14 hours ago, whsalum said:

To quote Michael Corleone, “Now who’s being naive?”   I’ve seen exactly what you claim would be a stretch happen.  I’ve seen a head coach get infuriated with his AD for not voting against a particular player.  And I’ve seen a chicken 💩 school get another one to try and carry the water to get a particular player voted down by a DEC, only to be sorely disappointed when they found out that kid’s parents weren’t going to lay down and let an eligibility decision be made based upon the other school’s “athletic purposes.”  (I.E., not wanting to have to play that kid.).  As I once heard a local superintendent eloquently put it, “if he was a 5’8” kid from Fred, we wouldn’t be having this conversation.”

56 minutes ago, TxHoops said:

To quote Michael Corleone, “Now who’s being naive?”   I’ve seen exactly what you claim would be a stretch happen.  I’ve seen a head coach get infuriated with his AD for not voting against a particular player.  And I’ve seen a chicken 💩 school get another one to try and carry the water to get a particular player voted down by a DEC, only to be sorely disappointed when they found out that kid’s parents weren’t going to lay down and let an eligibility decision be made based upon the other school’s “athletic purposes.”  (I.E., not wanting to have to play that kid.).  As I once heard a local superintendent eloquently put it, “if he was a 5’8” kid from Fred, we wouldn’t be having this conversation.”

You may have seen it happen. I haven’t seen it but then again I’ve never sat in one of these meetings. I have however had close dealings with many superintendents over the years and eligibility requirements of athletes wasn’t high on their list of priorities. I can assure you I’m not naive. I also think that if you aren’t going to hold people accountable for the rules you need to do away with the rules. 

23 hours ago, whsalum said:

The kid that was denied didn't come from BU or any UIL school and he lives in the district. There was no residency challenge and no discrepancies on the PAPF. They voted against him purely on rumors despite letters from prior and current schools stating why he made the switch. This is the information I was given and knowing that Dr. Augustine is an honorable/respectable man and does his do diligence, it would seem that some schools did hand together and vote against this kid. UIL would lose some credibility if it allows the DEC decision to stand. What you have to understand is by those schools voting against this kid, they are calling Dr. Augustine, this kids family, and the administrators from the prior school liars. And from what I've been told his residency was proven as he went to HF elementary school and both parents worked for HF at one point in time. Those who voted against this have some explaining to do. Doesn't matter what happened last year with other players. This kid is a former HF student who lives in the district and was returning to finish his high school there period! I don't know the make-up of the superintendents from the other districts who voted against this, but I do know all those who verified and submitted letters on this kids behalf are African American. Tekoa is an African American owned school, Dr. Augustine is African American, and the family is African American and they were all called liars. I would hope the UIL overturns this for their sake because this can get ugly quick

9 hours ago, TxHoops said:

The kid is a Texas top 100 ranked player who averaged 27pts 10 rebs and played against some top UIL schools last year at Tekoa. The only teams from that district that would even be competitive with HF is Huffman and HJ. HF beat Huffman last year in the playoffs without the best player at the school on varsity, he was playing JV due to UIL rules averaging over 30pts a game Lol! So he'll be on varsity this year and Ardoin coming over would make them very hard to beat. 

On 10/30/2020 at 10:26 PM, Hooohead.com said:

One of the two didn't play at BU at all. He just went there. He was basically a park baller who decided to play last year and apparently was coachable.

9 hours ago, Cardinal 1 said:

The kid that was denied didn't come from BU or any UIL school and he lives in the district. There was no residency challenge and no discrepancies on the PAPF. They voted against him purely on rumors despite letters from prior and current schools stating why he made the switch. This is the information I was given and knowing that Dr. Augustine is an honorable/respectable man and does his do diligence, it would seem that some schools did hand together and vote against this kid. UIL would lose some credibility if it allows the DEC decision to stand. What you have to understand is by those schools voting against this kid, they are calling Dr. Augustine, this kids family, and the administrators from the prior school liars. And from what I've been told his residency was proven as he went to HF elementary school and both parents worked for HF at one point in time. Those who voted against this have some explaining to do. Doesn't matter what happened last year with other players. This kid is a former HF student who lives in the district and was returning to finish his high school there period! I don't know the make-up of the superintendents from the other districts who voted against this, but I do know all those who verified and submitted letters on this kids behalf are African American. Tekoa is an African American owned school, Dr. Augustine is African American, and the family is African American and they were all called liars. I would hope the UIL overturns this for their sake because this can get ugly quick

I think these boys shut discussions down when race gets brung up.  I hope that wasn't a factor.

30 minutes ago, Elvis Presley said:

I think these boys shut discussions down when race gets brung up.  I hope that wasn't a factor.

I don't think it was main factor or even running acrosssome of their minds, but they definitely went on rumors and not facts presented. The optics don't look good and apparently weren't thought about at all. That's what I'm saying