20-AAAA

Javelina

According to Texas High School Baseball

1. Nederland

2. PN-G

3. Lumberton

4. LC-M

Region 3 Top 10 Teams

1. Barbers Hill - 5 returning starters from 34-5 Regional Semifinalist team.

2. Richmond Foster – 7 returning starters from 29-9 Regional Finalist team.

3. Georgetown - 8 returning starters from 27-10 Regional Finalist team.

4. Brenham - 6 returning starters from 26-11 Area Finalist team.

5. Santa Fe - 6 returning starters from 21-11 Area Finalist team.

6. Kingwood Park – 4 returning starters from 25-9 Area Finalist team.

7. Ball - 4 returning starters from 21-10-1 Regional Quarterfinalist team.

8. Stratford - 8 returning starters from 21-13 Area Finalist team.

9. Nederland - 4 returning starters from 17-7-1 Regional Quarterfinalist team.

10. Port Neches-Groves - 4 returning starters from 14-11 Area Finalist team.

According to Texas High School Baseball

1. Nederland

2. PN-G

3. Lumberton

4. LC-M

Region 3 Top 10 Teams

1. Barbers Hill - 5 returning starters from 34-5 Regional Semifinalist team.

2. Richmond Foster – 7 returning starters from 29-9 Regional Finalist team.

3. Georgetown - 8 returning starters from 27-10 Regional Finalist team.

4. Brenham - 6 returning starters from 26-11 Area Finalist team.

5. Santa Fe - 6 returning starters from 21-11 Area Finalist team.

6. Kingwood Park – 4 returning starters from 25-9 Area Finalist team.

7. Ball - 4 returning starters from 21-10-1 Regional Quarterfinalist team.

8. Stratford - 8 returning starters from 21-13 Area Finalist team.

9. Nederland - 4 returning starters from 17-7-1 Regional Quarterfinalist team.

10. Port Neches-Groves - 4 returning starters from 14-11 Area Finalist team.

I can see Vidor slipping into the top 4 

GO DOGS

Is it just me or does it seem like a lot of folks are "sleeping" on Lumberton? They have a really good pitching staff returning along with some other key players. Vidor is another team that IMHO should be higher on the radar than most folks are willing to admit. Sometimes you have to look at talent and not the name of the school in order to be objective.

Rake1

Is it just me or does it seem like a lot of folks are "sleeping" on Lumberton? They have a really good pitching staff returning along with some other key players. Vidor is another team that IMHO should be higher on the radar than most folks are willing to admit. Sometimes you have to look at talent and not the name of the school in order to be objective.

Rake1

Lumberton is picked 3rd place behind perennial playoff and district champ teams from Nederland and PNG and ahead of LCM who has the same kind of history. I don't see how anyone is sleeping on them. 

Normally the standard guess at the playoffs and championships in 20-4A baseball is LCM, Nederland or PNG with the order swapped from year to year. To be included in that mix seems like they are getting a good bit of respect. 

Lumberton is picked 3rd place behind perennial playoff and district champ teams from Nederland and PNG and ahead of LCM who has the same kind of history. I don't see how anyone is sleeping on them. 

Normally the standard guess at the playoffs and championships in 20-4A baseball is LCM, Nederland or PNG with the order swapped from year to year. To be included in that mix seems like they are getting a good bit of respect.

So basically what you are saying is the history of the team is more important than returning starters, losses to graduation, depth, or any other factors. Just like I stated in the previous, sometimes you actually have to look at the talent and not just the name of the school. It will be interesting to see how it all shakes out.

Rake1

So basically what you are saying is the history of the team is more important than returning starters, losses to graduation, depth, or any other factors. Just like I stated in the previous, sometimes you actually have to look at the talent and not just the name of the school. It will be interesting to see how it all shakes out.

Rake1

The same teams are usually at the top for a reason!

The same teams are usually at the top for a reason!

Mind blowing remark for sure. Let's graduate the world, it's okay! The name on our uniform will be enough. Call me when you want to talk rationally. This is in no way directed at any particular school, it's merely a statement to say the "year after year" picks that are always based on nothing but history are IMHO misguided. Realistic expectations along with an honest look at rosters and experience have to play a part. I can't make it any more simple than that. If you can't understand or appreciate the point then I respectfully bow out of the conversation.

Rake1

Year after year results matter. Those 3 have been the consistent teams and even during "down" years they win. PNG hasn't missed the playoffs since 1995 or 1996 and that year they tied for 3rd in 5A when only 3 teams made it. You're right it has zero to do with the name on the jersey but it does have a lot to do with the talent coming up through an area. I like Lumberton and being picked 3rd in 20-4A despite not having a ton of success in their history is actually giving respect to the Raiders.

Rake1

I can't see where I said that history is more important than starters, depth, etc. I must have missed that part of my post.

And no, I am not looking into the talent, I didn't make the predictions. I was only responding to your apparent displeasure that Lumberton was predicted at anything short of first place. 

History means nothing on the field but it sure means something when people are picking favorites. I still fail to see where Lumberton being picked at third place in a preseason poll is overlooking them. Maybe you thought the statewide pollsters should have picked Lumberton higher in the region. Maybe so as time will tell. 

Remember that this is nothing but a preseason guess and in that scenario, yes prior records matter. 

A general statement regarding teams always at the top of their district...The talent pool will come and go but the commitment by community, youth sports, schools. teams, coaches is hard to erase.  Yes, their will be a dip in talent at any time but schools like PNG, NED, BC, LCM (just to name a few) keep winning and are competitive most year and year out in baseball.  It is a reflection of what is put into the little leagues, youth baseball and summer ball.  Larger schools with top heavy varsity rosters (with players who will graduate) have younger players, who at other schools may have started earlier on varsity.  Look at current 5A schools and their rosters, very few underclassman bust the varsity roster but when under sound coaching and community support excel.  No disrespect for Lumberton but the winning tradition is not there, baseball is not the only sport in which they don't have the lower level support that perhaps other cities in our area do.  Senior Babe Ruth is in Nederland just for example and that says a lot about the community support for baseball.

Mind blowing remark for sure. Let's graduate the world, it's okay! The name on our uniform will be enough. Call me when you want to talk rationally. This is in no way directed at any particular school, it's merely a statement to say the "year after year" picks that are always based on nothing but history are IMHO misguided. Realistic expectations along with an honest look at rosters and experience have to play a part. I can't make it any more simple than that. If you can't understand or appreciate the point then I respectfully bow out of the conversation.

Rake1

why so bitter?......................sounds like jealousy!

A general statement regarding teams always at the top of their district...The talent pool will come and go but the commitment by community, youth sports, schools. teams, coaches is hard to erase.  Yes, their will be a dip in talent at any time but schools like PNG, NED, BC, LCM (just to name a few) keep winning and are competitive most year and year out in baseball.  It is a reflection of what is put into the little leagues, youth baseball and summer ball.  Larger schools with top heavy varsity rosters (with players who will graduate) have younger players, who at other schools may have started earlier on varsity.  Look at current 5A schools and their rosters, very few underclassman bust the varsity roster but when under sound coaching and community support excel.  No disrespect for Lumberton but the winning tradition is not there, baseball is not the only sport in which they don't have the lower level support that perhaps other cities in our area do.  Senior Babe Ruth is in Nederland just for example and that says a lot about the community support for baseball.

So hard to understand for some...............great post

why so bitter?......................sounds like jealousy!

Not bitter at all, simply asking a question and engaging in a discussion. Jealous? Of what? I don't have a horse in the 20-4A race, I'm much more interested in a 21-3A team that looked mighty good on Monday against the team from 20-4A who is predicted to win it all.

My point in this whole conversation is not that I think Lumberton is not picked high enough or anything like that, it's just reminding people that they should be in the conversation when the best teams in 20-4A are discussed. That is all, nothing more nothing less.

One more little bit of info for all the folks who continue to cling to the notion of "always there, perennial, etc etc". If the team or program is what the prediction is based on how come Major League Baseball came up with W.A.R. stat? You know the one, Wins Above Replacement, the one that calculates how many more games a team would win or lose with or without certain players? Same thing can be said about graduation, injuries, or grades in high school correct? Kind of makes you think doesn't it?

Rake1

P.S. I'm not debating community support, different topic all together as far as I'm concerned. Just looking at this years teams and rosters for comparison. I agree with what's been said about certain communities supporting certain sports, I'm with you on that subject.

Not bitter at all, simply asking a question and engaging in a discussion. Jealous? Of what? I don't have a horse in the 20-4A race, I'm much more interested in a 21-3A team that looked mighty good on Monday against the team from 20-4A who is predicted to win it all.

My point in this whole conversation is not that I think Lumberton is not picked high enough or anything like that, it's just reminding people that they should be in the conversation when the best teams in 20-4A are discussed. That is all, nothing more nothing less.

One more little bit of info for all the folks who continue to cling to the notion of "always there, perennial, etc etc". If the team or program is what the prediction is based on how come Major League Baseball came up with W.A.R. stat? You know the one, Wins Above Replacement, the one that calculates how many more games a team would win or lose with or without certain players? Same thing can be said about graduation, injuries, or grades in high school correct? Kind of makes you think doesn't it?

Rake1

P.S. I'm not debating community support, different topic all together as far as I'm concerned. Just looking at this years teams and rosters for comparison. I agree with what's been said about certain communities supporting certain sports, I'm with you on that subject.e.

Nederland certainly is not predicted to win it all. Never said on this board or anywhere else that I have seem. 

Where did you read this?  I would like to check it out!

Not being the expert that you are. I like to educate myself.

I'm with Rake on this one. Roster and talent on the team should be taken into more account than simply past records. Yes some schools are rich in talent every year and are solid every year. But just because a team hasn't done well in the past doesn't mean that the team they CURRENTLY have couldn't come in and beat the teams that have TRADITIONALLY had the best teams. Talent on a team for each individual year SHOULD and NEED to be taken into consideration. Now just my opinion based on this years talent my opinion in this district PNG will be the team to beat. IMO they have the deepest pitching depth in the area. Not just in their district but in the area THIS year. My prediction is 1PNG 2 Lumberton / LCM I can't decide just yet. 4 Nederland. IMO Nederland will have a down year compared to years past due to graduating so many. Their young but will be good especially in a year or two. This is one of the reasons I agree with Rake. Nederland has a tradition of being one of THE teams in 4a but due to graduating so many they will have a down year.One thing that we can say is that the baseball around here is awesome. There is talent across the whole area and in all district's. Our area is truly blessed to have some great coach's to get the kids prepared for high school ball. I would also like to congratulate Rake and his family for his son's accomplishments. Great family who has a kid with an incredible work ethic who is a great example for the underclassmen.

I'm with Rake on this one. Roster and talent on the team should be taken into more account than simply past records. Yes some schools are rich in talent every year and are solid every year. But just because a team hasn't done well in the past doesn't mean that the team they CURRENTLY have couldn't come in and beat the teams that have TRADITIONALLY had the best teams. Talent on a team for each individual year SHOULD and NEED to be taken into consideration. Now just my opinion based on this years talent my opinion in this district PNG will be the team to beat. IMO they have the deepest pitching depth in the area. Not just in their district but in the area THIS year. My prediction is 1PNG 2 Lumberton / LCM I can't decide just yet. 4 Nederland. IMO Nederland will have a down year compared to years past due to graduating so many. Their young but will be good especially in a year or two. This is one of the reasons I agree with Rake. Nederland has a tradition of being one of THE teams in 4a but due to graduating so many they will have a down year.One thing that we can say is that the baseball around here is awesome. There is talent across the whole area and in all district's. Our area is truly blessed to have some great coach's to get the kids prepared for high school ball. I would also like to congratulate Rake and his family for his son's accomplishments. Great family who has a kid with an incredible work ethic who is a great example for the underclassmen.

20-4A is going to be a shoot out.

Thanks for the kind words XDOG, very much appreciated.

Rake1

Maybe the Beaumont Enterprise should take notice to Rake's comments when opening the baseball season with their previews. ;)

Those 22 district titles should not matter this year. ;) :D

(just giving ya a hard time, Rake)

AAW! I would expect nothing less! In fact I would be disappointed if you didn't. Nothing like knowing you are "loved"......

Rake1