New Vidor Coach

I am not from Vidor, so I am not emotionally involved with this issue.  I am a girls basketball fan though. At the end of last season I posted that I thought Coach Jacks would leave, but didn't elaborate because I knew this would end up right where it has.  I honestly thought this had about a 90% chance of happening.  If you take away the emotion... things are MUCH more clear.  Here are a few of the facts to consider and you could have recognized before if you had been paying closer attention.

1.  Coach Jacks does what is best for his daughters above everything else.  (What dad is going to blame him for that?)
2.  Even though Vidor had the best year in school history, they lost a great player in Blair Richmond, and a good role player in Torry Biddle.  I don't see anybody of that cailiber waiting to step in.  The Vidor girls would not have made a run in the playoffs even WITH the Jacks girls this coming year.  No supporting cast.  Even though I'm sure Vidor would have some "good" players. The Jacks family is looking to go deep into the playoffs in Allison's last season. Ain't happening with "good" players.
3. Coach Jacks does what is best for his daughters above everything else.
4. Coach Jacks produces winning seasons.  When you are a winner, other schools are going to come knocking.
5. Coach Jacks does what is best for his daughters above everything else.
6. Even prior to the best season in Lady Pirate history, Coach Jacks was being courted by other schools in the area and he was weighing his options. He didn't go. Guess why? (Check #7 for the answer)
7. Coach Jacks does what is best for his daughters above everything else.
8. The coach has a history of moving. Guess why? (check #9 for the answer)
9. Coach Jacks does what is best for his daughters above everything else.

Coach Jacks did a lot to raise the interest in girls basketball in Vidor, but sometimes just being in the gym isnt enough.

Ashley, even though we have met before and seen each other on several occasions you don't really know who I am.  I hope you find some peace in knowing that not all are ragging on your dad.  Although I never had the opportunity to see you play, I have a sneaking suspicion that the moves from Blue Ridge and Gary high school had YOUR best interest in mind just like he's doing now for your sisters.

Good luck to Vidor and Lumberton. 

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Slam14 you are right! I thank you for that. And coachmark thank you as well. $MTC-28$, as for you I really don't care what you have to say, you will just keep coming up with reasons to get angry. All I can tell you is just because you are there doesn't mean you are the best. I am done arguing. But I will say every coach seeks PERFECTION. I will leave you with a quote "Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence," Vince Lombardi said that. Everyone in the world, no matter their profession is looking for the perfect hair, perfect shoes, perfect shot, perfect pass, the perfect LIFE. Tell me how is this any different? Slam14 you are right my dad makes every decision with the best interest for my sisters and I.  This happened to be the best decision. And if people get mad along the way, oh well! Cause we are chasing our perfection, not everyone else's perfection.

[quote name="Set It Straight" post="1422465" timestamp="1375932520"]
So you put a jab in at him then tell me to let it go? Everyone started acting like idiots before he could talk to all of them. And he did speak to some. The kids he was closest to graduated this year. Not to mention most of the ones left aren't very serious about basketball. But you're right I should let it go. He's in a better program now and it is what's best for our FAMILY. People aren't going to understand. They just hide and point fingers. No one out there knows exactly what happened except for my dad, my sisters, and myself. To all the people who want to keep hating on him, go ahead. He is obviously better off out of Vidor. True colors show in adversity. Oh and the majority of coaches don't speak to the kids before they leave unless it is during the school year when they announce it. If he would have gathered a huge meeting to tell everyone they would all still be mad and still be throwing him under the bus.
[/quote]
Okay, obviously I am a Vidor parent and yes, I have a daughter on the basketball team.  First of all, let me say that the reason people are upset here is because of the way your father left, not because we don't understand doing what's best for your family.  Any true good parent will put the needs of their children before ANYTHING else.  Your father spent an entire summer running a daily workout that quite a few players showed up to because of their desire to be the best athlete they could be.  These girls were led to believe by your father that he was close to them, yet you say he spoke to the ones he was closest to and they were all 2013 graduates.  That tells me that either you are doing your own "molding" of the "truth" or he was very good at lying to his players.  Those girls felt betrayed by his refusal to face them with the truth.  And as far as your statement that "the majority of coaches don't speak to the kids before they leave", I guess I wouldn't know too much about that because all of the coaches that I've dealt with over the years (my daughter is not my only athletic child) that have left for better positions most certainly told their players in person.  So I definitely call you out on your statement that we would still be mad and throwing him under the bus.  We are simply holding him accountable for his "decision".  As you said, "true colors show in adversity."  Finally, I have to address your statement that "the ones left aren't very serious about basketball".  Any teenage girl that will in essence give up their entire summer to work out in pursuit of becoming the best basketball player they can be CANNOT have their seriousness questioned.  You should stop saying things about girls you obviously know nothing about.

[quote name="proudpiratemom" post="1423300" timestamp="1376195688"]
[quote author=Set It Straight link=topic=113109.msg1422465#msg1422465 date=1375932520]
So you put a jab in at him then tell me to let it go? Everyone started acting like idiots before he could talk to all of them. And he did speak to some. The kids he was closest to graduated this year. Not to mention most of the ones left aren't very serious about basketball. But you're right I should let it go. He's in a better program now and it is what's best for our FAMILY. People aren't going to understand. They just hide and point fingers. No one out there knows exactly what happened except for my dad, my sisters, and myself. To all the people who want to keep hating on him, go ahead. He is obviously better off out of Vidor. True colors show in adversity. Oh and the majority of coaches don't speak to the kids before they leave unless it is during the school year when they announce it. If he would have gathered a huge meeting to tell everyone they would all still be mad and still be throwing him under the bus.
[/quote]
Okay, obviously I am a Vidor parent and yes, I have a daughter on the basketball team.  First of all, let me say that the reason people are upset here is because of the way your father left, not because we don't understand doing what's best for your family.  Any true good parent will put the needs of their children before ANYTHING else.  Your father spent an entire summer running a daily workout that quite a few players showed up to because of their desire to be the best athlete they could be.  These girls were led to believe by your father that he was close to them, yet you say he spoke to the ones he was closest to and they were all 2013 graduates.  That tells me that either you are doing your own "molding" of the "truth" or he was very good at lying to his players.  Those girls felt betrayed by his refusal to face them with the truth.  And as far as your statement that "the majority of coaches don't speak to the kids before they leave", I guess I wouldn't know too much about that because all of the coaches that I've dealt with over the years (my daughter is not my only athletic child) that have left for better positions most certainly told their players in person.  So I definitely call you out on your statement that we would still be mad and throwing him under the bus.  We are simply holding him accountable for his "decision".  As you said, "true colors show in adversity."  Finally, I have to address your statement that "the ones left aren't very serious about basketball".  Any teenage girl that will in essence give up their entire summer to work out in pursuit of becoming the best basketball player they can be CANNOT have their seriousness questioned.  You should stop saying things about girls you obviously know nothing about.
[/quote]

As far as I'm concerned you have no clue! I was just as close to all those girls! I was there during summer workouts and I can tell you there was only one parent that showed up for that! Again just because you are there doesn't mean a thing! It's the effort put in, and the summer workouts were not for basketball only, they were for everyone and i can tell you there were few times a player picked up a ball on their own. Summer work out were for conditioning and strength. Also, I said that most coaches don't announce it unless they leave during the year! BEFORE my dad was able to talk to anyone about it, because he was in New Orleans when it all happened, everyone already knew and people already started getting angry. He spent all summer working everyone out because he didn't have ANY intensions of leaving!!! Like I said lumberton came to him with a better offer. But like you said, you wouldn't know anything about that because you aren't a coach! Also I didn't say he wasn't close to the girls that haven't graduated, I said he was closest to the girls who have graduated. If you were an involved parent you should know who I am and you wouldn't question me knowing these girls!! Him taking this job is WHAT WAS BEST FOR OUR FAMILY!! So back off, people move on, things happen, and life goes on! Maybe some of these kids needed to learn that. My dad gave his best to Vidor and COMPLETELY turned that program around. Now that it is his time to move on for something better for him, everyone wants to get mad and get personal. Honestly, if you don't know about the sport or the profession you shouldn't be on here. His decisions were made to better out family, like I'm sure if you are a good mom then yours are as well. Who are you to come challenge my truth or my dads, or anyone's for that matter when this was a personal decision!! Instead of getting mad people should be learning a lesson that you don't get everything you want and everything doesn't happen just like you want it. What does everyone not understand? He took a different job, it was better for him and his family, he did not do this to hurt people's feelings, but if an angry mob of people were mad because you made a decision to better your family, then it's best you aren't around them at all. If you want a coach to treat your children with respect, maybe you parents should also treat the coach with respect. The door swings both ways!

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="1423301" timestamp="1376196438"]
Lumberton also have a good youth basketball program to feed into their system. With a good coach, Lumberton  might make some noise in the coming years. They already have a step up for this year.
[/quote]

I completely agree, which is why is was a good move for a good coach.

This is beginning to sound like Dwight Howard leaving the lakers to come to Houston  ;) I can see both sides of the argument; on one hand you have people who are upset because they just lost the best coach in their programs history to a rival school. It didn't help that it was a here one day gone the next type of situation but on the other hand I completely agree with Jacks. My loyalty lies with the best offer. Lumberton will have more to offer in the long run; an undefeated incoming freshman class, an established D1 caliber player who is only a JR to complement his daughters plus other young players with experience and talent, an established little league program which will feed into the high school program for years to come. You have to do what's best for you and your family. (Also on a side note the average time spent with one particular job for a man is 3 years). Just food for thought.

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="1423301" timestamp="1376196438"]
Lumberton also have a good youth basketball program to feed into their system. With a good coach, Lumberton  might make some noise in the coming years. They already have a step up for this year.
[/quote]
Did you get lost Dove? For one this is the girls thread and another this this has nothing to do with Ozen.  ;D

[quote name="Set It Straight" post="1423305" timestamp="1376198103"]
[quote author=proudpiratemom link=topic=113109.msg1423300#msg1423300 date=1376195688]
[quote author=Set It Straight link=topic=113109.msg1422465#msg1422465 date=1375932520]
[/quote]
[/quote]

As far as I'm concerned you have no clue! I was just as close to all those girls! I was there during summer workouts and I can tell you there was only one parent that showed up for that! Again just because you are there doesn't mean a thing! It's the effort put in, and the summer workouts were not for basketball only, they were for everyone and i can tell you there were few times a player picked up a ball on their own. Summer work out were for conditioning and strength. Also, I said that most coaches don't announce it unless they leave during the year! BEFORE my dad was able to talk to anyone about it, because he was in New Orleans when it all happened, everyone already knew and people already started getting angry. He spent all summer working everyone out because he didn't have ANY intensions of leaving!!! Like I said lumberton came to him with a better offer. But like you said, you wouldn't know anything about that because you aren't a coach! Also I didn't say he wasn't close to the girls that haven't graduated, I said he was closest to the girls who have graduated. If you were an involved parent you should know who I am and you wouldn't question me knowing these girls!! Him taking this job is WHAT WAS BEST FOR OUR FAMILY!! So back off, people move on, things happen, and life goes on! Maybe some of these kids needed to learn that. My dad gave his best to Vidor and COMPLETELY turned that program around. Now that it is his time to move on for something better for him, everyone wants to get mad and get personal. Honestly, if you don't know about the sport or the profession you shouldn't be on here. His decisions were made to better out family, like I'm sure if you are a good mom then yours are as well. Who are you to come challenge my truth or my dads, or anyone's for that matter when this was a personal decision!! Instead of getting mad people should be learning a lesson that you don't get everything you want and everything doesn't happen just like you want it. What does everyone not understand? He took a different job, it was better for him and his family, he did not do this to hurt people's feelings, but if an angry mob of people were mad because you made a decision to better your family, then it's best you aren't around them at all. If you want a coach to treat your children with respect, maybe you parents should also treat the coach with respect. The door swings both ways!
[/quote]
Well apparently, just because you were there doesn't mean a thing either because there were girls there picking up a basketball and working on shooting without being told to.  Yes I know the summer workouts were not just for basketball but for strength & conditioning but after they were over the girls I'm referring to headed to the gym and worked on shooting for another hour.  And since I am an involved parent I know exactly who you are but I'm certainly questioning how well you know these girls!  And I'm not challenging him doing what's best for his family, I believe I made that PERFECTLY clear, I'm questioning how he handled the transition.  I don't need to be a coach to know it was handled badly.  And you certainly have no right to say what some of these kids need to learn!  If you were as close to these girls as you claim to be you would know some of them have been through things in their young lives that people twice their age haven't experienced.  And finally, the reason we're so upset is BECAUSE your dad was treated with respect, and we don't feel that respect was reciprocated in the way he left.  If you choose to reply to this, you might should check yourself before saying things that you know not of.

[quote name="Now What?" post="1423309" timestamp="1376204467"]
[quote author=BLUEDOVE3 link=topic=113109.msg1423301#msg1423301 date=1376196438]
[/quote]
Did you get lost Dove? For one this is the girls thread and another this this has nothing to do with Ozen.  ;D
[/quote]Nah, I totally understand where she is coming from with this and support her commitment to her dad. I never met the man and have never seen the Jacks play. But I think I'll make an effort this season to see them play. ;)

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="1423326" timestamp="1376225979"]
[quote author=Now What? link=topic=113109.msg1423309#msg1423309 date=1376204467]
[quote author=BLUEDOVE3 link=topic=113109.msg1423301#msg1423301 date=1376196438]
[/quote]
[/quote]Nah, I totally understand where she is coming from with this and support her commitment to her dad. I never met the man and have never seen the Jacks play. But I think I'll make an effort this season to see them play. ;)
[/quote]
He's a pretty good guy; eccentric when it comes to coaching but pretty nice and down to earth outside of the gym and I'm with Ms. Jacks here. He took a better job outside of the school year and with the way some people were acting, going back could have called more issues then it was worth.
Let me know when you want to come see a game an ill save you a seat. His daughters could teach your boys how to shoot like a pro 😜.

[quote name="Now What?" post="1423341" timestamp="1376233906"]
[quote author=BLUEDOVE3 link=topic=113109.msg1423326#msg1423326 date=1376225979]
[quote author=Now What? link=topic=113109.msg1423309#msg1423309 date=1376204467]
[/quote]
[/quote]
He's a pretty good guy; eccentric when it comes to coaching but pretty nice and down to earth outside of the gym and I'm with Ms. Jacks here. He took a better job outside of the school year and with the way some people were acting, going back could have called more issues then it was worth.
Let me know when you want to come see a game an ill save you a seat. His daughters could teach your boys how to shoot like a pro 😜.
[/quote] I'm going to take you up on that offer ;) I heard about those Jacks girls. I respect for what I hear about them because I know they have respect for the game, while others just "play" the game. Big difference!!!

To "proudpiratemom"
Your first sentence, PERFECT! That's all I wanted you to understand! And just to make this clear, it's not about specific kids, it's about an entire program and school. Lumberton is better for him. Get over it. Move on. And I can tell you that very very very few parents treated him with respect. Maybe you did to his face but it's a different story behind closed doors.

@bluedove3 and @now what? Thanks for the back up! Hope to see you there!

You have defended your father and most understand.  You will not convince all.  I promise you If you quit offending all, this thread will end.  You can and should defend him. But offending all to hurt a few is wrong.    I am a retired coach and I can't imagine your father wanting this to continue.  I agree lets PLEASE move on.  Good luck this season

"Well apparently, just because you were there doesn't mean a thing either because there were girls there picking up a basketball and working on shooting without being told to."  That's my first sentence, not quite sure how it makes your point.  You're the one who made it about specific kids when you said "the ones that are left aren't very serious about basketball".  My daughter happens to be one of those girls.  I understand you feel the need to defend your dad, you need to understand I'm going to defend my daughter.  And I don't know what parents you're talking about that didn't treat him with respect, I can only speak for myself and that was never the case.  "Behind closed doors", what is that supposed to mean?  Pretty sure if doors are closed you don't know what's being said.  I do feel the time for this thread to end is now.  You get to "get over it" & "move on" as well.  I've said my peace.

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="1423350" timestamp="1376235104"]
[quote author=Now What? link=topic=113109.msg1423341#msg1423341 date=1376233906]
[quote author=BLUEDOVE3 link=topic=113109.msg1423326#msg1423326 date=1376225979]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote] I'm going to take you up on that offer ;) I heard about those Jacks girls. I respect for what I hear about them because I know they have respect for the game, while others just "play" the game. Big difference!!!
[/quote]
You will be impressed; they can jack it up (no pun intended) from just about anywhere past half court. They are scary to play against.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    pipi
    Newest Member
    pipi