Blown Call Ends Perfect Game Bid With Two Outs in 9th

Did anyone else just see that?  Armando Gallaraga just got screwed!  On a grounder between 1st and 2nd, 1st baseman Miguel Cabrera makes a nice play in the hole, turns, throws to Gallaraga @ 1st, and Gallaraga beats the runner by a full step, but the 1st base ump inexplicably called him safe!  I'm speechless!  If that call's close, don't you have to give him the out regardless?  The thing is, it wasn't close!  He was out!!!

DETROIT -- Armando Galarraga of the Detroit Tigers lost his bid for a perfect game Wednesday night with two outs in the ninth inning on a disputed call at first base. Replays appeared to show Cleveland hitter Jason Donald was out.

Tigers manager Jim Leyland immediately argued the call with first base umpire Jim Joyce, and was joined by several Detroit players who surrounded the ump after the Tigers beat the Indians 3-0.

Galarraga (2-1) was in complete control throughout the night and on track for the third perfect game of the season.

Copyright by STATS LLC and The Associated Press

I saw it too, that is just plain garbage and another umpire this season trying to get his name in the paper.  Even if he was not sure just call him out, I'm sure Cleveland would not have argued the call.  Somebody get that man a voucher for TSO or Lenscrafters!!!

I got to see the 9th inning of Braden, Halladay, and Jimenez this year, and this game seemed to have all the makings of a perfect game/no hitter with the great catch in the 9th by Austin Jackson.  You figure on a close call, like Anibal Sanchez's no hitter on the final play of game a few years back, they would give him the benefit of the doubt.  He just blew it.  I wonder now with all this recent umpire controversy, if the talk of instant replay will come back.  With today's technology, it's hard to argue against it now...

[quote name="the_real_deal" post="808642" timestamp="1275567627"]
He blew the call.  Everyone makes a mistake, and at least he admitted to it after the game.  He apologized to gallaraga and leyland.  Think about how bad the umpire feels when he gets up this morning. 
[/quote]
think about how bad the picture feels

[quote name="westend1" post="808665" timestamp="1275573115"]
You know, I have watched the video several times, and arguably,he got the call right.  Watch the pitcher snowcone the ball, and the, gather it in after the runner crosses first.  Not saying he was safe, but it is at least arguable.
[/quote]

good point...

[quote author=the_real_deal link=topic=70239.msg808642#msg808642 date=1275567627]
He blew the call.  Everyone makes a mistake, and at least he admitted to it after the game.  He apologized to gallaraga and leyland.  Think about how bad the umpire feels when he gets up this morning. 
[/quote]

I agree. He showed a lot of class.

In full speed, that's a difficult call. I would assume it's always tough when the pitcher and runner are sprinting toward the bag with the ball coming from outside your frame of view.

[quote name="westend1" post="808665" timestamp="1275573115"]
You know, I have watched the video several times, and arguably,he got the call right.  Watch the pitcher snowcone the ball, and then, gather it in after the runner crosses first.  Not saying he was safe, but it is at least arguable.
[/quote]

So you can't snowcone a ball, and have control of it?

[quote name="rounder17" post="808728" timestamp="1275585630"]
[quote author=westend1 link=topic=70239.msg808665#msg808665 date=1275573115]
You know, I have watched the video several times, and arguably,he got the call right.  Watch the pitcher snowcone the ball, and then, gather it in after the runner crosses first.  Not saying he was safe, but it is at least arguable.
[/quote]

So you can't snowcone a ball, and have control of it?
[/quote]

I believe the point westend is trying to make is that the gathering in of the ball could possible deem the runner safe.

[quote name="adminbaberuth" post="808735" timestamp="1275586626"]
ESPN MLB - Tigers P Armando Galarraga presented lineup card, shook hands with Jim Joyce before Thursday's game
[/quote]

i thought that was pretty cool, and also seeing the emotion that the umpire showed.  a lot of class shown by both of them.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Aprileighteen
    Newest Member
    Aprileighteen