what is sooo great about wos ?

why do i hear people talk about wos like its the best place in texas when it come s to football?

Their record speaks for itself but I think the main thing about WOS is Coach Dan Hooks.  He has some outstanding athletes to work with certainly, but where he is smart is knowing where to put these athletes to make the TEAM the best it can be and that puts him heads and shoulders above alot of coaches in the area.  I don't think he plays any political games with his boys and from what I hear, the dicipline he demands from his players makes them more of a well put together unit than most.  Just my take on WOS!

why do i hear people talk about wos like its the best place in texas when it come s to football?

Their record speaks for itself but I think the main thing about WOS is Coach Dan Hooks.  He has some outstanding athletes to work with certainly, but where he is smart is knowing where to put these athletes to make the TEAM the best it can be and that puts him heads and shoulders above alot of coaches in the area.  I don't think he plays any political games with his boys and from what I hear, the dicipline he demands from his players makes them more of a well put together unit than most.  Just my take on WOS!

Acctually, it was like being in the Marines over there. I remember my first college workout and was thinking...what in the $*$* is this? We even got more than two water breaks a practice?? ??? :D

We know we are not the best but we are proud of our record and school.

WO-S...32 seasons

One loosing season

1983...3-7 ( 5A )

Five win seasons

1977...5-4 ( first season to play ) 5A

2001...5-5 (4A )

Six win season

1982...6-4 (5A )

Seven win seasons

1978...7-3 ( 5A )

1981...7-3 ( 5A )

1984...7-3 ( 5A )

1991...7-4 ( 4A ) District champs

1996...7-5 ( 4A ) Bi district champs

1999...7-3 ( 4A )

2004...7-3 ( 3A ) District champs

Eight win seasons

1979...8-2-1 ( 5A ) District champs

1992...8-2 ( 4A )

1994...8-2-1 ( 4A ) District champs

2002...8-2 ( 4A )

2003...8-2 ( 4A )

Nine win seasons

1980...9-1 ( 5A )

1990...9-2 ( 4A ) District champs

Ten win seasons

1989...10-1 ( 4A ) District champs

1993...10-2 ( 4A ) District champs

1998...10-1 ( 4A ) District champs

2008...10-1 ( 3A ) Area champs

Eleven win seasons

1985...11-1-1 ( 5A ) Area champs

2006...11-1 ( 3A ) Bi district champs

2007...11-2 ( 3A ) Area champs

Twelve win seasons

1988...12-3 (4A ) State finalist

1995...12-2 ( 4A ) Area champs

1997...12-1 ( 4A ) Area champs

2005...12-1 ( 3A ) Quarter finalist champs

Thirteen win seasons

1986...13-2 ( 4A ) State champs

Fifteen win seasons

1987...15-0 ( 4A ) State champs

2000...15-1 ( 4A ) State finalist

Talent, Athletes and Coaching!!!!!!

Winning programs BUILD better athletes and UTILIZE their talent better. That is why they win. Coach Hooks at West Orange and Coach Barbay at Newton are both masters at this. For years I have heard about how Newton year after year "has" better athletes than their competition and implies that they are naturally so. The reason is not "breeding" or genetics. It's in the program that the athletes Newton has are put through. I think West Orange has the same work ethic for their program. Other districts could learn from these two programs.

Winning programs BUILD better athletes and UTILIZE their talent better. That is why they win. Coach Hooks at West Orange and Coach Barbay at Newton are both masters at this. For years I have heard about how Newton year after year "has" better athletes than their competition and implies that they are naturally so. The reason is not "breeding" or genetics. It's in the program that the athletes Newton has are put through. I think West Orange has the same work ethic for their program. Other districts could learn from these two programs.

Very well said!!!  An athlete will be an athlete no matter what program he is in, but a PROGRAM will make the athlete a better athlete.

Very well said!!!  An athlete will be an athlete no matter what program he is in, but a PROGRAM will make the athlete a better athlete.

GOOD POST !  186_indian.gif.jpg

Guest ECBucFan

For years I have heard about how Newton year after year "has" better athletes than their competition and implies that they are naturally so. The reason is not "breeding" or genetics.

Oh come on now!!!  ::)  Newton fans themselves talk at great lengths of the athletes in Newton! Newton and WOS has athletes on top of athletes! Be realistic, please!

I asked in another thread a hypothetical question when a similar topic came up: What if HOOKS had spent his entire career at (for example) BRIDGE CITY? What if BARBAY had always been at (for example) WARREN? 

Anyone want to venture guesses? Please do!

THEY CHEAT!!!!!!!!

;D (just kidding)

Great program over there.

lol  ;D thanks for the compliment AAW, silsbee has a great program too.  i have a lot of respect for the tigers.  silsbee and wos always play a great game.  im really looking forward to this years game, it will probably be another close one. 

For years I have heard about how Newton year after year "has" better athletes than their competition and implies that they are naturally so. The reason is not "breeding" or genetics.

Oh come on now!!!  ::)  Newton fans themselves talk at great lengths of the athletes in Newton! Newton and WOS has athletes on top of athletes! Be realistic, please!

I asked in another thread a hypothetical question when a similar topic came up: What if HOOKS had spent his entire career at (for example) BRIDGE CITY? What if BARBAY had always been at (for example) WARREN? 

Anyone want to venture guesses? Please do!

if these two coaches would have coached at these two programs for as long as they have at the schools they are at now i believe that these two schools would be better than what they are now and on thier down years they wouldnt really be down years just average years but no i do not think that either school would be top 10 teams in the state year in and year out like newton and WOS are now

Guest ECBucFan

if these two coaches would have coached at these two programs for as long as they have at the schools they are at now i believe that these two schools would be better than what they are now and on thier down years they wouldnt really be down years just average years but no i do not think that either school would be top 10 teams in the state year in and year out like newton and WOS are now

You are exactly right. Hooks & Barbay are smart enough to be at schools where:

A) athletes abound, each & every year, and

B) Football is regarded above anything & everything else.            :)

what is so great? i gots lots of friends and the Wos buds always got your back. Plus their fans DO NOT ACCEPT LOOSING that well and they are vocal in the stands. I go to their games bc they are so knowledgeable about the game and luv the sport. To many to name but their fans are the best buds you can ever have. Huffman is one and one against Wos and hope we never face them again.

PS Who the heck is Skipper? I asked all of my buds from Wos and no one knows or not talking.

You are exactly right. Hooks & Barbay are smart enough to be at schools where:

A) athletes abound, each & every year, and

B) Football is regarded above anything & everything else.            :)

When Coach Barbay came to Newton in 1968 the Eagles last winning season had been in the 50's. He was an assistant under Lidney Thompson and the current type program of weights and running was begun. The system builds average into better than average. The scat play that has been Newton's bread and butter was ran during the early days and ever since. It's not brain surgery. You put hard work and the want to win mentality in and that goes a long way when the going gets tough. I can only surmise that it is the same in West Orange. Coach Hooks and Coach Barbay have proven themselves year in and year out with this type of mindset and it trickles down to the kids every year. You've got to hate to lose.

ECBucFan,

With your theory in place, why is it that Ozen, Central, Westbrook, Memorial and the list goes on and on are not top ten programs year in and year out.  Simple, coaching and the program they run.  These schools all have the same student body make up, but only one is a top ten program year in and year out.  Don't get me wrong WOS does have some athletes, but so do the schools i have mentioned. 

So it takes more than athletes.

ECBucFan,

With your theory in place, why is it that Ozen, Central, Westbrook, Memorial and the list goes on and on are not top ten programs year in and year out.  Simple, coaching and the program they run.  These schools all have the same student body make up, but only one is a top ten program year in and year out.  Don't get me wrong WOS does have some athletes, but so do the schools i have mentioned. 

i totally agree it takes more than athletes but no matter how good a coach is if you dont have any athletes it doesnt matter how good of a coach you are your never going to be a top ten team year in and year out

Guest ECBucFan

ECBucFan,

Easy answer to that! Many of their opponents have at least close to their level of athleticism. Ozen palys Central, WB plays PAM! Lots of "offsetting" here. This is usually the case in larger schools. When you have 1500-3000 students, everybody has some athleticism.

In the 1A, 2A, 3A ranks, athleticism rules. Switch, do you think Hooks @ BC and Barbay @ Warren would have the same track records as they did at WOS & Newton? An honest answer to that illustrates the issue perfectly.  :)   

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    WalterCox
    Newest Member
    WalterCox