****Diboll looking for a new head football coach/Finalists Named****

This is the hidden content, please

Diboll looking for a new head football coach

Head Coach Gary Martel was named the lone finalist for Diboll schools superintendent after a special school board meeting Monday night. After a required by-law 21 day waiting period, Martel will take over the position.

"I'm ecstatic and excited," Martel said of the new job. "This is an area" -- of his career - "I wanted to be in one day. I just didn't think it would happen this fast."

Board President Trey Wilkerson said Martel possesses to strengths the board valued highly, good communications skills and familiarity with the district, plus "he's shown leadership in previous positions," Wilkerson said.

Martel is more than just a coach, said the board president. "He's served as an administrator. He was a good teacher in this district" before departing for Anahuac for six years. Martel returned to Diboll in 2006.

The vote to hire Martel was 5-0 with two abstentions, Wilkerson said. Andrea Swor and Ronnie Coleman felt they had too many potential conflicts of interest to vote.

"I came back here because I love it," Martel said of Diboll. He and his wife love being in the community, he said.

Jacob Sherman will continue as interim superintendent until the waiting period is over, Wilkerson said. The board had the option of naming Martel as interim but decided keeping Sherman would provide time for Martel to prepare.

Martel said looking for a replacement for himself as coach and athletic director will be "one of the first things on the agenda" when he takes over. "I think a number of people who are highly qualified" are interested in the post. He said he probably will open up the position to applicants and evaluate at that point.

"We're going to move forward and get some stability," Martel said. "That's what we want."

Former Superintendent Brent Hawkins had made curriculum reform a major emphasis. Martel said he was involved in that and believes Diboll now has a great curriculum "and we've got great vehicles for delivering it - our teachers."

"What's important right now is to stay the course," he said, with no immediate shake-up but a thorough evaluation of all aspects of the districts.

The number one thing, he said, "there's 2,000 people looking for some leadership, 1,800 students and 200 employees."

He thanked the school board, calling the seven members dedicated to improving the district. He and the board "want a relationship of trust throughout the district," he said.

"I've got a great community," he said. "I know them and they know me."

Martel is a graduate of Lamar University, where he played football, and holds a master's degree from Stephen F. Austin State University. He is one course away from having his superintendent's certification from the state.

Martel has compiled 9-1 regular season records the last two football seasons since returning from Anahuac, tying for the district title in 2006. The Lumberjacks have not gotten out of the first round of the playoffs in his tenure. He is 51-32 in nine years as a head coach.

His primary goal, he said, is to make Diboll excellent in academics as well as athletics.

"I will work myself ragged to make this the district of choice."

Guest blade_65

not that i heard of but i think martel will try to find someone that wont rock the boat and let season go in the direction he started it.  the person be in control the following year to many high exceptions this year.

The word under the "Tree of Knowledge" (this is a tree in my yard, and those that sit under it seem to think they know everything) is that the Alto AD/HC may be heading south.

Congratulations to Coach Martel. As a  JackBacker, and a former Lumberjack, I truly hate to see him go. As a father with kids in the DISD, I couldn't be happier with the school board's selection.

Just remember though Gary, you'll always be "Coach" Martel. If you don't believe that just ask "Coach" Baker! :)

I can confirm that Coach Gary Martel's brother is not a candidate for the position in Diboll. The job was officially posted June 17 and will be up for 10 days. Candidates are already begining to take shape and one will be named very soon (not today or tomorrow soon). Martel is really excited about his new position and is looking forward to getting the Football Coach in here and then allowing them to hit the ground running. Again I will have complete information for you come Wednesday.

Guest RatedRSuperstar

Nepotism laws prevent administrators from hiring their immediate family members. Looking at Diboll's schedule this year, somebody is going to have their hands full.  Kirbyville, Silsbee, Newton, Jasper , Carthage.  Wow !

That is actually incorrect, and I can tell you that in 1,100 plus Texas ISD's it has happen in one form or another. Wives, Husbands, Sons, Daughters, Brothers and Sisters working under relatives.

Nepotism laws prevent administrators from hiring their immediate family members. Looking at Diboll's schedule this year, somebody is going to have their hands full.  Kirbyville, Silsbee, Newton, Jasper , Carthage.  Wow !

Guest RatedRSuperstar

Hopefully this will give you a better uderstanding.  I never said relatives can't work within the same district.  Most school districts would never allow a Supt. to hire their brother, son, etc. as an administrator.  This would open up to many legalities in today's society.

1. What is nepotism?

Nepotism means the hiring of family or relatives. Anti-nepotism laws prohibit a

governmental entity hiring certain “close relatives†of a public official. The nepotism

laws are contained in chapter 573 of the Texas Government Code.2 The nepotism

statutes prohibit a public official from appointing, confirming the appointment of, or

voting on the appointment of a “close relative†to a paid public position.3 A close

relative under nepotism laws is someone who is related to the official within a prohibited

degree by consanguinity (relationship by blood) or a prohibited degree by affinity

(relationship by marriage).

There were over 40 applicants.

Here are the finalists:

Terry Johnson (Diboll Asst Head Football Coach and former Head Baseball Coach)

Wayne Mahaffey (Former Rusk AD)

Paul Essary (Deer Park)

Glen Tunstall (Palestine)

Paul Walker (Crosby Asst Head Coach)

Tom Shepherd (Tatum defensive coordinator)

Alto Head Coach did apply for the position, but has since removed his name from the conversation.

Look for one of the Paul's to get this one; Paul Johnson or Paul Essary as I am sure both men will receive strong consideration from Superintendent Gary Martel.

I feel strongly that if not staying internally, that it will be one of these two coaches. Most everyone I have talked to is rooting for one or the other.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    jacobmartin
    Newest Member
    jacobmartin