* Russell McDaniel New Deweyville HC!!!!*

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bickham resigns as D'ville AD

Gabriel Pruett

The Orange Leader

DEWEYVILLE — Dwight Bickham is stepping down as athletics director at Deweyville High School and for one reason only — to spend time with his family.

Bickham has spent the last three years as head coach of the Pirates and brought Deweyville to the playoffs in each of his first two seasons.

Now with his wife Chris working more and children Caleb, Beau and Payton growing older, Bickham found staying away from home less desirable.

“I need more time with my family,†Bickham said on Thursday. “Spending time with them is hard to do with being an athletics director but that is the only reason I am stepping down. It was a tough decision but it was one that had to be made. It is time for me to start watching what my kids are doing.â€

Bickham, a 1983 graduate of Deweyville, did say his coaching career is not over and plans to apply around the area to be an assistant coach.

“I will coach and be an assistant somewhere,†Bickham added. “There is a lot of time that is involved with being an AD and now is not the right time for me.â€

The Pirates were 18-13 under Bickham’s direction and made the playoffs for the first time since 1996 when Deweyville reached the postseason in 2005.

“We had some good times during the three years,†Bickham said. “We were fortunate those first two seasons because we had some great players. I am glad to see we got things back on track and I wish nothing but good for these kids. They will be the first thing I look for when I open the papers.â€

I would love to see coach Pachuca get the job. Both my son and daughter really like him and talk about him often. He has a knack with the kids and they respect him. His dad was my coach in Port Neches and he is a great man and I see a lot of him in the young coach. I hope he gets the opportunity to show what he can do!!!!! Good luck coach Bickham ! Wish you all the best and good luck!

May be a good fit for young Pacuhca? Great coach

Very good, young Coach who is a master motivator.  Coach Pacuhca would be a excellent choice to replace Coach Bickham.

I totally agree. Coach Pachuca really cares about the kids. He gives respect and gets alot in return. He is an awesome teacher, person and coach. He knows how to motivate the kids. They also know he means business. I think he would be a tremendous asset as AD because he cares about all the sports, because he cares about the kids. He wouldn't just focus on football only. As AD your responsibility is to all the sports, boys and girls alike, not just about the sports you coach.

I wish Coach Bickham the best. He was a great football coach. Hopefully he can find success wherever he goes. I am sure his wife and kids will love the fact he can become more involved in their lives. Kids grow up to fast.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    payelkhan20
    Newest Member
    payelkhan20