Ask MrUmp1 your rules question.

Tonight I was calling a little league game, the pitcher started to pitch the ball but never finished through.  He was pitching from the stretch and I called a balk and awarded the batter a ball.  The coach protested the call saying you cannot call a balk with no runners on...Am I wrong here, the coach protested the game and we are awaiting a ruling from the league.

Never a balk without runners. Another rule allows a ball call.

I have one for you MrUmp:

(If something like this has already been posted, sorry, but I saw this play a Texas A&M/Mizzou game and was questioning the call)

The score is tied 0-0.There are runners on first and third with 1 out.  The batter hits a deep fly to right and the right fielder catches the ball.  Runner on 3rd tags and crosses the plate, while the runner on 1st never tags up and get thrown out at first.  Runner on 3rd crosses the plate before the runner from 1st gets doubled up.  The scoreboard now reads 1-0. Does this run count?

Is it just as if the bases are loaded and the defense turns two in the middle, so the run doesn't count whether the runner on 3rd crosses home before the ball gets the last out?  I thought that's what it would be, but at this particular game, the run counted.

Tonight I was calling a little league game, the pitcher started to pitch the ball but never finished through.  He was pitching from the stretch and I called a balk and awarded the batter a ball.  The coach protested the call saying you cannot call a balk with no runners on...Am I wrong here, the coach protested the game and we are awaiting a ruling from the league.

Are you positive? Then what would the ruling be?

Are you positive? Then what would the ruling be?

A no-pitch?

ok just got home from watching Bridge City tonight. No one on pitcher starts to pitch then stops you have nothing. Even if the pitcher drops the ball it must cross the foul line to be a pitch otherwise with no one on you have nothing. As far as the force play. A runner going back to a bag on a fly even though he is out without a tag.. it is not a true force play. A force play is only if a runner is forced to a bag. On a double play,  doesn't matter when the runner crosses home, if the double play lets say 6-4-3 is made then run does not count.

Alright, thanks.

As long as the runner on 3rd crossed the plate before the DP.

Thanks Admin, oh and how are the Angels going to be this year?

As usual, we can't throw it up and hit it, our pitching might be better since I might draft one this year, besides that we're going to have fun and probably compete till all the playoff players return.

Hector.. maybe i'm not getting you here but I don't care where it hits the batter if he is leaning out over the plate and does not make an attempt to move I am not giving him his base.

My apologies...all this with the assumption that the batter make an effort to move out of the way of the pitch.  My point being that a head hit would have pretty much have been outside the strike zone regardless of the batter's stance in relation to the plate.  Agree that if the guy makes no attempt to avoid the pitch, no base. 

• 2 weeks later...

I do not. I have been informed that we are going to have 4 games. Two for underclassman and two for seniors. I think they are going to start around 10 in the morning. Maybe like 10  1  4 and 7. Anyone that would be intresting in volunteering can PM me here and I will give you a number to get in touch with me or one of the committee members. Any money we raise is for our scholarship fund.

Guest Orangeboy

Saw this on the Braves game today. Runner on first, nobody out. Batter lays down sac bunt and gets hit in the back with the ball while running inside the foul line. I know he his out, but they made the runner go back to first as well, seemed kind of odd to me.

Couple of questions MrUmp1

Couple of things that happened at the West Sabine vs McLeod game.

Pitcher pitched more that 10 innings in one day.  Have found out since then that this is a rules violation, West Sabine's coach knew this because it happened to WS in either 03 or 04.  But umpires at the game said it wasn't a rule.  If it is what is the penalty?  Also one of the umpires told a parent that you could not protest a High School game.  Is this true?  Sad part about this is this was WS's chosen umpires from the Beaumont chapter.

If it is a rule it is not something that is enforced by the Umpires. You would need to contact the UIL regarding that. It is correct that there is no protest of a High School game. This is covered under Federation Baseball rules which the UIL uses. So there is no SAD PART about anything the Umpires did. Contact the UIL with your question.

If it is a rule it is not something that is enforced by the Umpires. You would need to contact the UIL regarding that. It is correct that there is no protest of a High School game. This is covered under Federation Baseball rules which the UIL uses. So there is no SAD PART about anything the Umpires did. Contact the UIL with your question.

I have a statement then question. 1st I was at all the WS games against Alto and Mcleod and I thought the 2 Bmt guys (same for each series) did a wonderful job. In the Mcleod series, runner on 1st, in the pitcher's delivery the 3rd base ump called a balk. The pitcher continued w/delivery which runner was going on and batter fouled off. The 3rd base ump walked in to the infield with his hands up and notified the home plate ump he had a balk (pitcher didn't stop) and awarded the runner 2nd base. There was a guy in the stands that was yelling it was a foul ball and the defensive coach should appeal it. He yelled this for about 2 innings. My question is - Mr Ump why is it that the people that know the least, yell the most?

I can't answer about why some people yell. Some folks think it is not a baseball game unless you are giving the umpire grief. Or maybe they do not know the ole saying of, it's better to keep your mouth shut, than to open it and remove all doubt. In High School ball a balk is an immediate dead ball. At all other levels of play it is a delayed dead ball with the team batting having their choice of the balk or result of the play. Example.. Balked called, pitch thrown, hit out of the park for a home run. High School play it is dead no home run, runners advance. Pro or College, the team can choose the home run or the balk. If you have to think about which they would choose... wrong thread for you.

Couple of questions MrUmp1

Couple of things that happened at the West Sabine vs McLeod game.

Pitcher pitched more that 10 innings in one day.  Have found out since then that this is a rules violation, West Sabine's coach knew this because it happened to WS in either 03 or 04.  But umpires at the game said it wasn't a rule.  If it is what is the penalty?  Also one of the umpires told a parent that you could not protest a High School game.  Is this true?  Sad part about this is this was WS's chosen umpires from the Beaumont chapter.

The sad part is that now you know the umps were right but I bet you don't pass that along to all the people that were bad mouthing them last week.

1 out runners on 1st & 2nd, fly ball caught by the CF runner at 2nd fails to tag up takes off for third runner at first makes attempt to make 2nd.  The SS inadvertently touches 2nd in attempt to get the runner coming from 1st.  If i'm correct the at 2nd is out for failing to tag up even though it was by total accident the SS touched the bag...??

• KF89 unpinned and pinned this topic