Ask MrUmp1 your rules question.

1 hour ago, MalakoffMan said:

Obstruction is needed when there has been contact before a runner has been declared "out." Follow closely now, if a runner is hung up between 1B and 2B and gets hit by a fielder on his way back to 1B in the process of being tagged out, he is awarded 1B because that is THE base he has not yet acquired. Same scenario if a runner is tripped up by 3rd basemen rounding 3B and falls down then is tagged out @ home, he gets home. If a runner is tripped up by 3rd basemen rounding 3B and falls down but then stops and goes back to 3B, he stays at 3B because there was no runner tagged out because of obstruction. The key word here is if a runner is out, then obstruction applies... I don't need to quote a paragraph, this is the way it's been since beginning of time.

WRONG......

2 minutes ago, MalakoffMan said:

Guy I grew up with is in AA as we speak. He was in my wedding. When I asked him about this, just to double check myself, he said he thought he might be in AAA by the end of the month. 

So you are not an umpire in any sense of the word, you just play one on the message board.

You don't have to collect money as an umpire to know more than an umpire...? I'm speaking the EXACT words of a real professional. Here's an example of 2 different obstructions. Example A; runner on 1B takes off on a ball hit to right center field wall, he is tripped up by 2nd basemen and stumbles, eventually he is thrown out at home plate but it is a bang bang play. Obstruction should be called and the baserunner should be awarded home because of not for stumbling, the play isn't even close, baserunner is awarded 2 bases...

Example B; runner caught in a run down between 1B and 2B and runner turns to head back to 1B and a fielder clips his shoulder, runner makes a mad dash for 1B to beat the throw and is tagged out. What y'all are saying is he is awarded 2B, but that is not right, unless high school is different from pro ball. The runner is awarded the base he was attempting upon being tagged out.

3 minutes ago, MalakoffMan said:

You don't have to collect money as an umpire to know more than an umpire...? I'm speaking the EXACT words of a real professional. Here's an example of 2 different obstructions. Example A; runner on 1B takes off on a ball hit to right center field wall, he is tripped up by 2nd basemen and stumbles, eventually he is thrown out at home plate but it is a bang bang play. Obstruction should be called and the baserunner should be awarded home because of not for stumbling, the play isn't even close, baserunner is awarded 2 bases...

Example B; runner caught in a run down between 1B and 2B and runner turns to head back to 1B and a fielder clips his shoulder, runner makes a mad dash for 1B to beat the throw and is tagged out. What y'all are saying is he is awarded 2B, but that is not right, unless high school is different from pro ball. The runner is awarded the base he was attempting upon being tagged out.

Sorry to tell you this but guys like MrUmp1 ARE real professionals as they choose to ply their trade, not to make a living but to help the youth of the area and do so in close proximity to folks, well like you.  Specifically, MrUmp1 has forgotten more than you and I combined know about baseball at the high school level.  He has quoted you the rule governing this situation and yet you still just wish to assail his knowledge, and even more heinously, his ability.  I gathered from your posts in the softball section that you are not the sharpest knife in the drawer, but in this exchange your stupidity has reached new heights.     

21 hours ago, MalakoffMan said:

Dude you are so wrong it is painful.....Here is a scenario for you Runner on first with a lead, pick off attempt by pitcher, first baseman has his foot between runner and bag therefore obstructing the runner attempting to dive back to first.... Obstruction is called guess what runner is awarded 2nd base and he never acquired it

Straight from "The Umpire Helper" manual: 

If no play is being made on the runner at the time he is obstructed, the play continues. The tough part comes when the play stops. The umpire will award the runner the base to which the umpire believes he would have reached had he not been obstructed. For example: the batter hits a ball in the gap for what looks like an easy double. No play is being made on him. As he rounds first the fielder is in his path and they collide. The batter stops at first. The umpire will award the runner second base if he believes the runner would have made it there had he not been obstructed.

It does not matter where the obstruction occurs. If a runner is obstructed at first base and the umpire believes he could have made it to third base, he will be awarded third. The umpire must be the judge. If, in the umpire's judgment, a runner is slowed down by one step at first and then is thrown out by five steps at third, the out should stand.

The guy is from Malakoff....... give him a break.    Nahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  when your wrong your wrong.........Malakoff Man is so WRONG he is ridiculous....

Hope the best man in his wedding doesn't have this come up if he gets moved to AAA........they will quickly demote him to the rookie league.. :) 

This medicine the Dr has me on really does work, this hasn't upset me at all. Thanks for the backing guys. Many "high school" umps have and many still do call at levels higher that HS. None of us are perfect and we learn things every year. Next year is number 24 of HS baseball for me. 

Local league tournament play question.

Game starts both official lineups have been turned in and a rain delay postpones the game until another day. One player was not in the lineup for the original game . Would that player b allowed to play when the game resumed?

• 1 month later...

Question? You have a runner on 3rd the pitcher throws a wild pitch and the runner from 3rd goes home. The catcher gets the ball and throws the ball to the pitcher covering home. The pitcher arrives at the plate and catches the ball at the same time the runner from 3rd gets there. The runner superman dives over the pitcher. There is a descrepency in wether the tag was made or not but that's not the question. The question is should the runner he ejected from the game????? No contact was made other than if the pitcher did get the tag in.

14 minutes ago, Baseball05 said:

Question? You have a runner on 3rd the pitcher throws a wild pitch and the runner from 3rd goes home. The catcher gets the ball and throws the ball to the pitcher covering home. The pitcher arrives at the plate and catches the ball at the same time the runner from 3rd gets there. The runner superman dives over the pitcher. There is a descrepency in wether the tag was made or not but that's not the question. The question is should the runner he ejected from the game????? No contact was made other than if the pitcher did get the tag in.

If you are using high school rules.

NFHS rule 8.4.2. Any runner is out when he:

“d. dives over a fielder; or

PENALTY: The runner is out and the ball remains live unless interference occurs and is declared.”

“e. initiates malicious contact;

1. Malicious contact always supersedes obstruction. Runner(s) will be awarded appropriate base(s) per umpire’s judgment.”

• 9 months later...

Not sure how this ruling translates to softball, but maybe you can help.  This happened during our softball game today.  Batter gets hpb in the leg.  Ump says her hands were in the strike zone, so he calls dead ball strike.  I know if it had hit her hands in the strike zone,  it is a dead ball strike.   The only rule I found, baseball, says ump could call it a dead ball(ball)if batter makes no attempt to get out of the way.  I think in softball, you no longer have to attempt to move out of the way.  I do not see how a strike could be called, since ball was not in zone.  Batter should have been awarded first, or a ball called and batter made to stay at the plate.  If there is no rule about getting out of way of the pitch, batter should be awarded first, imo.

• KF89 unpinned and pinned this topic