Ask MrUmp1 your rules question.

ok here ya go, confirmed from casebook. First, the runner on 3rd did not attain home before the TIME OF THE PITCH. So it doesn't matter when the ball hit him. Since it was a legal pitch it is called what it is, in this case a strike which is strike 3 on the batter. Since this is the third out, no run is scored since this is not a timing play. It is a dead ball. 

If this had happened with less than 2 outs, all runners on base advance one base on a runner hit by a pitched ball. Then the run would have scored and the batter would still be out on the pitch. 

• 1 year later...
On 7/28/2020 at 9:56 PM, MrUmp1 said:

ok here ya go, confirmed from casebook. First, the runner on 3rd did not attain home before the TIME OF THE PITCH. So it doesn't matter when the ball hit him. Since it was a legal pitch it is called what it is, in this case a strike which is strike 3 on the batter. Since this is the third out, no run is scored since this is not a timing play. It is a dead ball. 

If this had happened with less than 2 outs, all runners on base advance one base on a runner hit by a pitched ball. Then the run would have scored and the batter would still be out on the pitch. 

Do you train all the umpires at ford park and in the area?

• 4 weeks later...

Mr. Ump,

I have a question that was told to by a umpire and wanted to check:

batter is in the box calls time and steps out of the box.... home umpire does NOT grant time and a legal pitch is thrown...

I was told it is a automatic strike... I was also told that if the pitch is a strike it counts as 2 strikes... so if the batter has 1 strike already called on him.. and the pitch is in the strike zone.. it counts as strike 2 and 3 and the batter is out...

IS THIS THE RULE??

7 hours ago, hitman009 said:

Mr. Ump,

I have a question that was told to by a umpire and wanted to check:

batter is in the box calls time and steps out of the box.... home umpire does NOT grant time and a legal pitch is thrown...

I was told it is a automatic strike... I was also told that if the pitch is a strike it counts as 2 strikes... so if the batter has 1 strike already called on him.. and the pitch is in the strike zone.. it counts as strike 2 and 3 and the batter is out...

IS THIS THE RULE??

per NFHS rules

“6.2.4 SITUATION I: With R3 on third base, F1 starts his pitching motion and B2 requests "Time," but the umpire does not grant "Time." B2 steps out of the batter's box with both feet and (a) F1 delivers a pitch, (b) does not deliver the pitch or (c) throws a wild pitch. RULING: (a) The umpire shall call two strikes on B2, one on the pitch, and one for stepping out of the box. In (b), the umpire shall call a strike on B2 for stepping out of the batter's box. The balk is nullified. In (c), two strikes shall be called on B2, one on the pitch and one for stepping out. The ball remains live. (7-3-1 PENALTY)”

“7.3.1 SITUATION 😧 B1 steps out of the batter’s box (a) without requesting time, or (b) after he has requested time, or (c) fails to enter batter’s box within 20 seconds. RULING: In (a), the umpire shall call a strike if he feels B1 delayed the game. In (b), if the umpire grants time, the 20-second count will begin again as soon as the ball is declared “live.” If time is not granted by the umpire and B1 steps out of the batter’s box, a strike shall be called on B1 if he delays the game. In (c), the umpire shall call a strike. The pitcher does not have to throw a pitch.”

If the pitch is thrown it will called a strike no matter where it goes. The second strike is not automatic but can be called if the umpire judges the batters actions to have delayed the game.

So yes a batter with one strike on him will be called out on strikes if he steps out of the box, a pitch is thrown and he is judged to have delayed the game.

13 hours ago, deuces said:

per NFHS rules

“6.2.4 SITUATION I: With R3 on third base, F1 starts his pitching motion and B2 requests "Time," but the umpire does not grant "Time." B2 steps out of the batter's box with both feet and (a) F1 delivers a pitch, (b) does not deliver the pitch or (c) throws a wild pitch. RULING: (a) The umpire shall call two strikes on B2, one on the pitch, and one for stepping out of the box. In (b), the umpire shall call a strike on B2 for stepping out of the batter's box. The balk is nullified. In (c), two strikes shall be called on B2, one on the pitch and one for stepping out. The ball remains live. (7-3-1 PENALTY)”

“7.3.1 SITUATION 😧 B1 steps out of the batter’s box (a) without requesting time, or (b) after he has requested time, or (c) fails to enter batter’s box within 20 seconds. RULING: In (a), the umpire shall call a strike if he feels B1 delayed the game. In (b), if the umpire grants time, the 20-second count will begin again as soon as the ball is declared “live.” If time is not granted by the umpire and B1 steps out of the batter’s box, a strike shall be called on B1 if he delays the game. In (c), the umpire shall call a strike. The pitcher does not have to throw a pitch.”

If the pitch is thrown it will called a strike no matter where it goes. The second strike is not automatic but can be called if the umpire judges the batters actions to have delayed the game.

So yes a batter with one strike on him will be called out on strikes if he steps out of the box, a pitch is thrown and he is judged to have delayed the game.

I see it says steps out with both feet. what about steps out with one foot?

2 hours ago, hitman009 said:

I see it says steps out with both feet. what about steps out with one foot?

One strike called for not being in the box (one foot outside of the line) and out if he his it?

Not an umpire but coached Little League for a few years… about 40 years ago. :) 

Just taking a wild guess for fun. 

Stepping out of the box without time and a ball is thrown it is an automatic strike. As far as a second strike not in this instance. A strike can be called if a batter leaves the box for no reason. There are reasons why a batter can legally step out between pitches. Very rare situation. In 28 years of high school ball I can maybe think I called this 2 or 3 times. 

I think it is a good rule. If a batter was allowed to jump back out of the box when a pitch is being made, it would be distracting to the pitcher. 

The keeping one foot in the box is a speed up rule put in place many years ago. It is currently a rule in college. If a batter keeps stepping out of the box in between pitches, I just quietly tell him to stay around the box. If he wants to give me attitude about it, maybe the next close pitch is a strike, just sayin. 

• 1 month later...

A few weeks ago we had an ump call a balk for not coming set with no runners on base. 

Weak ground ball to the pitcher for an out.  Delayed balk called and got a redo.  Smoked a double next pitch.  

Everything I’ve found says you can’t balk with no one on.  You can throw an illegal pitch, but if the batter is in the box you don’t have to come set.  Is that correct? 

2 hours ago, PhatMack19 said:

A few weeks ago we had an ump call a balk for not coming set with no runners on base. 

Weak ground ball to the pitcher for an out.  Delayed balk called and got a redo.  Smoked a double next pitch.  

Everything I’ve found says you can’t balk with no one on.  You can throw an illegal pitch, but if the batter is in the box you don’t have to come set.  Is that correct? 

per NFHS rules if the pitcher in in the stretch position he has to come set no matter if their are runners on base or not.

if he does don't come set this a illegal pitch (immediate dead ball) and a BALL will be awarded to the batter. with runners on this is a (illegal pitch) balk and a immediate dead ball.

I know PG has some modifications to the NFHS pitching rules, was this a high school game or PG

16 hours ago, deuces said:

per NFHS rules if the pitcher in in the stretch position he has to come set no matter if their are runners on base or not.

if he does don't come set this a illegal pitch (immediate dead ball) and a BALL will be awarded to the batter. with runners on this is a (illegal pitch) balk and a immediate dead ball.

I know PG has some modifications to the NFHS pitching rules, was this a high school game or PG

PG.  Kid was 9 which makes the call that much more ridiculous.

A balk is a delayed dead ball.  The other team chose a redo over taking the play which was an out. 

4 hours ago, PhatMack19 said:

PG.  Kid was 9 which makes the call that much more ridiculous.

A balk is a delayed dead ball.  The other team chose a redo over taking the play which was an out. 

Yes PG is a delayed ball but not in NFHS.

Also I believe PG allows the hybrid stance which means the pitcher would not need to come set with no-one on.

• 2 months later...
  • KF89 unpinned and pinned this topic

Just finished year 29 of HS Baseball. Taking it one year at a time now. The disrespect from fans and players was the worst I have seen in a long time. Most coaches do a great job of controlling their players but some seem to let their players do and say whatever they want to umpires. The parents feed off all the taunting. I actually had to eject a fan at a small school this year and I don't recall ever doing that before. 

This is the hidden content, please

Read this article I can relate.

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

no clock but the rule has always been a pitcher has 20 seconds to start his delivery after he receives the ball. If a pitcher is just stalling and not completing a pitch, I have said lets go, you have 20 seconds to throw the ball. Work with a pace and everybody plays better and Granny doesn't fall asleep in her lawn chair.

10 hours ago, MrUmp1 said:

no clock but the rule has always been a pitcher has 20 seconds to start his delivery after he receives the ball. If a pitcher is just stalling and not completing a pitch, I have said lets go, you have 20 seconds to throw the ball. Work with a pace and everybody plays better and Granny doesn't fall asleep in her lawn chair.

That is not how the coach described it.

I have never heard of an umpire referencing that rule and neither had the coach.

When does the 20 seconds start and are you using a watch of some type to time it.

Is there a clock for batters also and what happens if he is not ready by a certain time?

Is this a point of emphasis this year from TASO since the MLB has a pitch clock?

Well I have referenced that rule a number of times. 

If you read my post I said the 20 seconds start from the time the pitcher receives the ball.

There are speed up rules on the batter that have been around for over 20 years. Ever see an umpire tell the batter or motion for him to get in the box? There are a few reasons a batter can step away but for the most part they have to be there near the box. 

It is not a point of special emphasis.

And as far as a coach knowing the rule, they only know the rules they want to exploit. 

Maybe you should get the digital copy of the NFHS rules book and then you can search key words and easily find the rules you want to understand. It's all there in print.