Addition of shot clock on UIL meeting agenda again

Something else that caught my eye:

G. New Business

1. Written Proposals from the Public

a. A proposal to prohibit freshmen athletes from participating in varsity competitions

I know that these are just proposals but still on the agenda to be discussed next week

6 minutes ago, Bobcatfan4life said:

G. New Business

a. A proposal to prohibit freshmen athletes from participating in varsity competitions

I know that these are just proposals but still on the agenda to be discussed next week

This should be no business of the UIL to decide imo.

On 6/8/2022 at 12:23 PM, Bobcatfan4life said:

G. New Business

Why? I’m not sure I understand the problem with a freshman playing varsity sports. 

Prohibiting freshmen athletes from varsity participation would absolutely hurt small schools. That proposal makes no sense and it's not the 1st time I've seen it on the docket. Seems to me like someone got beat out by a freshman in the past that was better than them and they're bitter about it. 

1 hour ago, 86hawk said:

what caught my eye was the proposal to allow 6th grade at the 1A level??  Am i correct to assume they already allow 7th and 8th grade to participate?  If am misinterpreting this, please let me know.

It's for Middle Schools in 1A ISDs, allowing the 6th graders to now play with the 7th and 8th graders. 

Amendment approved:

The Legislative Council approved an amendment to the reclassification and realignment policy as it relates to the conference placement of UIL member charter schools. The language will allow UIL staff the option to place charter schools as much as one conference above the conference for which their enrollment qualifies

In short, UIL now has the option to force charter schools like Faith Family to play at least one classification up from their enrollment size.

2 hours ago, AggiesAreWe said:

Amendment approved:

The Legislative Council approved an amendment to the reclassification and realignment policy as it relates to the conference placement of UIL member charter schools. The language will allow UIL staff the option to place charter schools as much as one conference above the conference for which their enrollment qualifies

In short, UIL now has the option to force charter schools like Faith Family to play at least one classification up from their enrollment size.

I hope they do something with it.  Having the ability to do it and actually following through are two different things.

1 hour ago, Cherokee88 said:

If schools were going to get help funding the shot clock system, and somebody could work it correctly I think it would help the overall hs game. 

I agree.  That’s the biggest if though.  I love the shot clock.  But it is imperative you have someone competent to operate it.  If not, the whole game is spent with Refs (who let’s face it, are generally not ready for prime time to begin with) consumed with resetting the shot clock to such and such time.  As a result, the device intended to speed up games, actually brings them to a grinding halt. 

I say all that as one of the scoreboard operators of all time.  I am dreadful at it.  Shot clock is a way more tasking job.  You almost need a 4th referee to do it.  

My thought would be to implement it for 6A and 5A, if you are going to do it.  But the other part of me, even though I hate watching teams hold the ball, knows that Milan, Indiana never happens with a shot clock.  

On 6/14/2022 at 6:44 PM, bullets13 said:

I know you guys are against the shot clock, but I’m all for it.  Even if it was something like a minute, just to force SOME action to prevent total stall ball.  That would still be more than enough time for your fundamentally slow offenses to eat clock and get a shot off.

I’m on the fence.. simply because “slow playing” is often used as a means of strategy for high school teams that lack offensive abilities. I do believe a shot clock would help the game in many situations but make not so good basketball teams lose games by even more embarrassing numbers.

Teams that have good teams and/or good players don’t hold the possession for longer than a shot clock period anyway.

34 minutes ago, oldschool2 said:

I’m on the fence.. simply because “slow playing” is often used as a means of strategy for high school teams that lack offensive abilities. I do believe a shot clock would help the game in many situations but make not so good basketball teams lose games by even more embarrassing numbers.

Teams that have good teams and/or good players don’t hold the possession for longer than a shot clock period anyway.

That’s why I say make it a minute.  Teams can still slow it waaaay down, but you won’t see teams holding for the last shot with 3 minutes left in the half, or stuff like the campfire formation that lumberton tried this past season. Also, if it’s an even minute refs can monitor it pretty easily.  Maybe start motioning down from ten seconds like they do in the back court to warn the players.  It wouldn’t be perfect, but if a team held the ball a full 60 seconds I wouldn’t really care if they got screwed on a bad shot clock call once in awhile.