CRT Hoopla

UT alum

Get ready, folks. I know this is gonna explode some heads, but I done said on here when I see something I perceive as racist, I’m speaking out. Following is the text of a letter I wrote to the Houston Chronicle, and was published last Saturday:

All the white people who are made “uncomfortable” hearing about what our ancestors did to African Americans during our country’s history are snowflakes to the tenth magnitude.  I’m going to spit if I hear another one say ”my daddy didn’t own slaves, or my granddaddy. Why should I be made to feel guilty?”

I have only this to say to that convoluted self-absolving logic:  Your daddy and granddaddy didn’t fight in the American Revolution either. What right have you to celebrate the Fourth of July? You had nothing to do with the the battles or the other trials concomitant to the struggle.

Until we whites as a group understand that generation after generation, throughout history, have not only benefitted from the trials of the fathers, they have also unwaveringly had to pay for the sins of the fathers, not much progress will be made. It’s on us.

We have to live together. To did that we must understand one another.  Forbidding our children to discuss race in an educational setting is such a giant step back, such a closing of minds, it makes me fear for the world my grandchildren will inherit. For what sins will they have to pay?

I close with a quote from somewhere in the past:  The mind is like a parachute. It only works when it’s open.

2 hours ago, UT alum said:

Get ready, folks. I know this is gonna explode some heads, but I done said on here when I see something I perceive as racist, I’m speaking out. Following is the text of a letter I wrote to the Houston Chronicle, and was published last Saturday:

All the white people who are made “uncomfortable” hearing about what our ancestors did to African Americans during our country’s history are snowflakes to the tenth magnitude.  I’m going to spit if I hear another one say ”my daddy didn’t own slaves, or my granddaddy. Why should I be made to feel guilty?”

I have only this to say to that convoluted self-absolving logic:  Your daddy and granddaddy didn’t fight in the American Revolution either. What right have you to celebrate the Fourth of July? You had nothing to do with the the battles or the other trials concomitant to the struggle.

Until we whites as a group understand that generation after generation, throughout history, have not only benefitted from the trials of the fathers, they have also unwaveringly had to pay for the sins of the fathers, not much progress will be made. It’s on us.

We have to live together. To did that we must understand one another.  Forbidding our children to discuss race in an educational setting is such a giant step back, such a closing of minds, it makes me fear for the world my grandchildren will inherit. For what sins will they have to pay?

I close with a quote from somewhere in the past:  The mind is like a parachute. It only works when it’s open.

I have a few questions for you.

How many White people said that you will not own other people in my state? How many White people came together in unity to pass legislation to end the practice? Answer this question before you preach from your high hobby horse.

How many White people have given the ultimate sacrifice to free slaves? How many White people have fought to their last breath to end the oppression? We actually have a name for that battle. Do you know what it is? Name that war before you preach from your high hobby horse.

How many White people have sacrificed their own advancement and that of their children to end inequality? We have a name for it. Martin Luther King was prominent, but how much success would he have had without the prominence of White people? Name that movement before you preach from your high hobby horse.

How many laws have been passed by the majority (White people) to give the oppressed trillions of dollars? Answer this before you preach from your high hobby horse.

How many rulings by courts, including the Supreme Court of the United States, have permitted/stayed the practice of blatant discriminatory practices to benefit the Black man? Answer this question before you preach from your high hobby horse.

How many trillions of hard earned tax dollars has the Government (Fed, State, Local) confiscated from mostly the majority (White taxpayers) to be unfairly redistributed to the Black man in the name of equality? Answer this before you preach from your high hobby horse.

How many White owned corporations have taken their profits to contribute to "urban" (you know the translation) causes in the name of equality? Answer this before you preach from your high hobby horse.

I purposely worded some of these questions in the form of (perceived) anger to watch you attempt to formulate a personal attack in deflection to the criticism. I would love to see how someone espousing this pathetic mindset can defend himself when faced with reality, but you will not respond. You can't respond. You actually tried to use your parents name to take a cheap shot at me in a different thread. I thought that was as pathetic as it gets...until this post. 

6 hours ago, tvc184 said:

it is interesting that the author uses convoluted logic as an explanation.

Logic according to the author:

You didn’t fight in Revolutionary War but celebrate July 4th, it is the same as owning slaves. 

No, history is history. If you own the good, you have to own the bad. 

9 hours ago, UT alum said:

You expect my innocent grand daughter to attend school with a mixed student body and have a teacher tell the class how bad a person she is? How dare you. I will fight you at every turn. Who the hell you think you are anyway?

10 hours ago, UT alum said:

I think this great radio interview from a couple of weeks ago on the Michael Berry Show of a 72 year old black man addresses your post. 
But I am sure you want take the time to listen to it. It’s about 16 minutes long.

6 minutes ago, Unwoke said:

I think this grew radio interview from a couple of weeks ago on the Michael Berry Show of a 72 year old black man addresses your post. 
But I am sure you want take the time to listen to it. It’s about 16 minutes long.

Surely he'll consider the other side, remember, his mind is like a parachute.

11 hours ago, UT alum said:

The African slave trade was global. Sure you don’t want to see what the Portuguese could pony up? Were the real bad people the buyers or the sellers? You really have no case and there will never be a teacher allowed to teach this garbage to any of my kinfolk. I can promise you that. 

So because some folks, white Europeans and black Africans, were slave traders, and mostly white farmers used black slaves, every white person should feel guilty.  How cognizant are you with history?  Start naming all the ethnic groups that were never involved or used slaves.  Whites, Blacks, Yellows, Browns and Reds have all had slaves (or there any other colors?).  That being the case, why in your opinion are whites the only group that should carry the burden of guilt?  If it’ll make you feel better, hit your own head with a hammer, but stay away from my head.

5 hours ago, UT alum said:

Now you are spinning.  It was not said nor implied. In fact that would have made sense. While looking at history, let’s look at both sides.

But who doesn’t own history or look at both sides? Who denies slavery was wrong or didn’t happen? I remember in 7th grade history learning (it was a test question) on who wrote Uncle Tom’s Cabin and the part it had on the anti-slavery movement… and that was so in the late 1960s. 

The author said (with a rhetorical question) that Whites should feel guilty. That is the nonsensical part and what makes it comical.

6 hours ago, UT alum said:

Also, therein lies part of the problem, the history of the west African slave trade.

The Africans were sold by other Africans. The Europeans had the relatively new technology to sail across the world. That opened to trade routes all over the world in the Columbian era. That ability is what brought tomatoes and corn to the world from the Americas and horses to the Americas from Europe and possibly Asia. (Which is why cultural appropriation today is such a silly argument)

At that time, what did sub Sahara Africans have to sell or trade? Hmmm… other Africans perhaps? Basically Africans were captured by other Africans and sold as a product. Blacks in Africa captured other Blacks and held them for slaves themselves and started selling them when there was found to be a profit in them.

So how much history in this country today is taught that African slaves in the Americas were sold by other Africans basically like cattle? Without those Africans capturing and selling their own race of people, there would be virtually no history of slaves in America. Who is more responsible, the buyer or the seller? 

Does the author take that into consideration or just celebrating July 4?

So does everyone look at good and bad history or is that only relegated to White Europeans….. who don’t deny or make excuses for the horrible practice of slavery? I have read of holocaust deniers. I have never heard of American slave deniers. 

6 hours ago, UT alum said:

THEN, if you own the bad if you need to own the good.

Stop hating America. If America was nearly as racist as you want to believe, why do so many non whites want to break and enter here?   

Stop hating America, or feel free to move to non racist Somalia or Venezuela or something.  

18 hours ago, tvc184 said:

Now you are spinning.  It was not said nor implied. In fact that would have made sense. While looking at history, let’s look at both sides.

But who doesn’t own history or look at both sides? Who denies slavery was wrong or didn’t happen? I remember in 7th grade history learning (it was a test question) on who wrote Uncle Tom’s Cabin and the part it had on the anti-slavery movement… and that was so in the late 1960s. 

The author said (with a rhetorical question) that Whites should feel guilty. That is the nonsensical part and what makes it comical.

It’s the denial that 300 years of bondage and treatment of a race as animals has no effect on society today. I can name at least 10 people by name right now who I grew up with, childhood friends, who at ten and twelve years old were saying “I hate n***ers”. They still do today, they’ve just had to be a little more accepting due to full integration. Guilty was the wrong word. I should have used responsible.

16 hours ago, Separation Scientist said:

THEN, if you own the bad if you need to own the good.

Stop hating America. If America was nearly as racist as you want to believe, why do so many non whites want to break and enter here?   

Stop hating America, or feel free to move to non racist Somalia or Venezuela or something.  

Saying non whites want  to “break and enter” shows your stripes. I love America, warts and all. We are not a perfect union, but the founders expected us to strive to be one. 

57 minutes ago, UT alum said:

It’s the denial that 300 years of bondage and treatment of a race as animals has no effect on society today. I can name at least 10 people by name right now who I grew up with, childhood friends, who at ten and twelve years old were saying “I hate n***ers”. They still do today, they’ve just had to be a little more accepting due to full integration. Guilty was the wrong word. I should have used responsible.

What will make it go away? 

45 minutes ago, UT alum said:

Atonement. But I can’t tell you what that looks like.

Of course you can’t, because no matter what happens, 1000 years from now someone will say, “You remember hearing (I won’t say reading) about back in the 18th century, black people were sold into slavery and the white Americans owe us for how they treated our ancestors.”

1 hour ago, LumRaiderFan said:

Atonement from who?  Be specific.

Sitting down and listening to each other with empathy. Not judgement. With the Congress doing some sort of official recognition that centuries of considering a race of people, who’s forced labor helped launch the industrial revolution as chattel property, not human, has had deleterious effects that remain to this day. With voluntary reparations, not forced. A black family in Manhattan Beach CA had their beachfront property seized in 1924 using eminent domain by the city of Manhattan Beach after being harassed by the Klan and others, but not leaving.  Last year, the city council voted 5-0 to return the property, worth millions, to the family. No one forced the city. It was a voluntary return. Things like that. Compassion, not disdain.