Fight At Beaumont West Brook

Hagar

Just heard on Ch 6 there’s been another fight at West Brook.  The way it was reported, it’s not the first recently.  Hard enough for kids to get an education without this type of behavior going on.  Anyone have an idea how to curtail this?

Been 16 views but no comments.  Perhaps I misconstrued what Ch 6 was saying?  Is there anyone personally aware that it’s a problem?  Schools have always had fights, but back in my prehistoric days it was one on one.  Is that what’s happening here or are more involved?  Saw a study many years ago.  Schools on Military bases scored higher than public schools.  The conclusion as to why was discipline.  There was discipline when I went to school.  Then the school administration believed a pat on the back did wonders, as long as it was low enough and hard enough and often enough.  😂🤣😂

19 hours ago, Hagar said:

Just heard on Ch 6 there’s been another fight at West Brook.  The way it was reported, it’s not the first recently.  Hard enough for kids to get an education without this type of behavior going on.  Anyone have an idea how to curtail this?

The list is long and it will never be done.

Parents have given the authority over their children to the school to act like babysitters.

Schools have abdicated authority to the police. When you were in school, did you have any policeman in the hallways issuing citations for acting up in class? Did you even see a policeman at school?

Schools are in fear of losing money so they will not get rid of students who do not need to be there for discipline or danger reasons.

Corporal punishment is legal under Texas law but try to find a school district using it.

Not allowing teachers to protect themselves against assaults by students.

The federal government in the early to mid 1960s making it lucrative to have children out of wedlock.

Do you want to keep going with the problems that will not be corrected?

2 hours ago, tvc184 said:

Parents have given the authority over their children to the school to act like babysitters.

Schools have abdicated authority to the police. When you were in school, did you have any policeman in the hallways issuing citations for acting up in class? Did you even see a policeman at school?

Schools are in fear of losing money so they will not get rid of students who do not need to be there for discipline or danger reasons.

Corporal punishment is legal under Texas law but try to find a school district using it.

The federal government in the early to mid 1960s making it lucrative to have children out of wedlock.

No cops in school.  Our Principal, Mr. Matthews was 6’7” about 280.  He was the “head cop”.  Mr. Garland, who taught Geography I think, looked like an axe murderer (intimidating), and had a Mickey Mantle swing, and don’t even mention the Coaches who’s idea of a workout was dispensing corporal punishment.  Nope tvc, I’m from a totally different era.  My hats off to teachers who can stand to put up with classes of undisciplined children.  My group, other than the occasional wild child, was well minded, as were my kids.  But while coaching LL Baseball/Football, I realized things were changing, drastically.  Well beyond my ability to tolerate.  I’ll admit, like the German Capt said about Patton, I’m an anachronism.

3 hours ago, tvc184 said:

This is a major problem another area school too.

To answer the question, yes we did have police at school. Started with DARE officers in elementary and escalated to the campus cop in HS.

This reminds me of the first time we were introduced to a K9 officer. Parker Thompson brought his partner, Ali. And they staged a demonstration where he found COCAINE in a girl's bag. We were in elementary school, but that made a lasting impression on many of us.

14 minutes ago, WOSdrummer99 said:

This is a major problem another area school too.

To answer the question, yes we did have police at school. Started with DARE officers in elementary and escalated to the campus cop in HS.

This reminds me of the first time we were introduced to a K9 officer. Parker Thompson brought his partner, Ali. And they staged a demonstration where he found COCAINE in a girl's bag. We were in elementary school, but that made a lasting impression on many of us.

Ummm. What happened to the cocaine?

1 hour ago, SmashMouth said:

I had a mom at home that would light me up quicker than a duck on a June bug. Principal and coaches were the least of my worries. Lol. 

Same here……lol

While I don’t support violence, school yards fights taught some valuable lessons about what comes out your mouth and life!!

53 minutes ago, thetragichippy said:

Same here……lol

While I don’t support violence, school yards fights taught some valuable lessons about what comes out your mouth and life!!

A couple of generations ago we were told that corporal punishment was not the answer. Over 5,000 years of human history of raising children was all wrong. What they need is being put in timeout, on campus suspension, have their cell phones taken away for 30 minutes, etc.

That way they will not learn violence and will not use violence against other people. They will only learn to be pacifist.

It has worked out so well…… 

It's the parents.  I saw a post recently where Silsbee Parents were INCENSED that their kids wouldn't be allowed to have the cellphones in class because Mama NEEDS to be able to reach Johnny, and there isn't a any old school that's gonna tell her child any different. 

I'm of the opinion that is the instance where administration should dis-enroll Johnny and let Mama get down to homeschoolin'.  

You know, "I don't beat my child and I'll sue the pants off anyone that dares to harm a hair on his head."  There's something about getting drug out into the hall at a young age and trying to hide hot tears when you rejoin your classmates that will alleviate 95% of the behavioral problems that we have in classes today.  

1 hour ago, CardinalBacker said:

It's the parents.  I saw a post recently where Silsbee Parents were INCENSED that their kids wouldn't be allowed to have the cellphones in class because Mama NEEDS to be able to reach Johnny, and there isn't a any old school that's gonna tell her child any different. 

I'm of the opinion that is the instance where administration should dis-enroll Johnny and let Mama get down to homeschoolin'.  

You know, "I don't beat my child and I'll sue the pants off anyone that dares to harm a hair on his head."  There's something about getting drug out into the hall at a young age and trying to hide hot tears when you rejoin your classmates that will alleviate 95% of the behavioral problems that we have in classes today.  

I have to say AMEN on that. 

On 5/14/2022 at 3:08 PM, tvc184 said:

I currently work for one that does.  Coincidentally (or not), our behavior is excellent.  Also, due to our male principal being promoted, it appears I will be our school's dispenser of justice next school year.  

1 hour ago, 5GallonBucket said:

Google “dads on duty”

I believe this notion has been shot down by Allen and board.

several dads have came forward with offering their time in past school board meetings

I saw a new story or an exposé on that a few months ago. It seemed like a pretty good deal but you would need some dedicated men to be involved and also some serious safeguards and training in place.