Westerberg to Salado

bferg77

3 hours ago, Mr. Buddy Garrity said:

Welp I know what offense Killeen Chaparral will be running 😂 

Salado ever ran a spread offense?? 

No idea.  I know my cousin is moving from G/T to C because of the change.

Seems like the AD position at a growing district like Hays CISD would be a nice, cushy place to retire from? Makes me wonder if he just took the job at Hays CISD due to some type of contractual language regarding his exit from BH? Makes it really seem like a money-grab at BH while simultaneously using that position as a launch pad for his son which ended up getting the Whitehouse job last year. 

His son Kyle and I were on the same team for a while in college so I know TW has to be getting up there in age which makes the move even more odd unless he's just always wanted to coach his hometown team and this is the first opportunity he's had to do so? 

5 minutes ago, Cougar14.2 said:

Seems like the AD position at a growing district like Hays CISD would be a nice, cushy place to retire from? Makes me wonder if he just took the job at Hays CISD due to some type of contractual language regarding his exit from BH? Makes it really seem like a money-grab at BH while simultaneously using that position as a launch pad for his son which ended up getting the Whitehouse job last year. 

His son Kyle and I were on the same team for a while in college so I know TW has to be getting up there in age which makes the move even more odd unless he's just always wanted to coach his hometown team and this is the first opportunity he's had to do so? 

Imo if he always wanted to coach his hometown team all he had to do was put it out there that he wanted too and they would have forced whoever out to bring him in… 

On 5/10/2022 at 11:19 AM, Cougar14.2 said:

Frankly, Whitehouse was terrible last year. Prospects this year aren’t great. I’m wondering whether the Westerberg name should carry as much weight as it does. BH improved under Westerberg Sr, but that improvement also came during an era of disproportionate growth in BH’s favor, and they only did marginally better than they had done prior to his arrival. Kyler Murray and Allen HS having 7,000 kids is where the Westerberg legacy has to be traced. 

On 5/10/2022 at 11:19 AM, Cougar14.2 said:

Is there anything wrong with a "money grab" or "creating a launch pad for your son"? 

2 hours ago, Rez Ipsa said:

Frankly, Whitehouse was terrible last year. Prospects this year aren’t great. I’m wondering whether the Westerberg name should carry as much weight as it does. BH improved under Westerberg Sr, but that improvement also came during an era of disproportionate growth in BH’s favor, and they only did marginally better than they had done prior to his arrival. Kyler Murray and Allen HS having 7,000 kids is where the Westerberg legacy has to be traced. 

Whitehouse brings back 7 on offense, 3 defense....JV was 7-2-1 last year, so I'd say there's a pretty decent chance for improvement...especially considering they were pretty competitive in every game last year except for Texas High...

32 minutes ago, Matthew328 said:

Whitehouse brings back 7 on offense, 3 defense....JV was 7-2-1 last year, so I'd say there's a pretty decent chance for improvement...especially considering they were pretty competitive in every game last year except for Texas High...

I agree JV looks strong. I saw one of those games myself and they dominated Royse City easily. They have a D1 receiver as well. They should improve. I don’t expect their ceiling is particularly high (though I hope it is, as I have a nephew playing varsity this year). My point is it’s a mistake to think the Westerberg name is magic pill that creates state championships. The great run at Allen was behind arguably the best high school quarterback in Texas history, for starters. 

13 hours ago, Rez Ipsa said:

I agree JV looks strong. I saw one of those games myself and they dominated Royse City easily. They have a D1 receiver as well. They should improve. I don’t expect their ceiling is particularly high (though I hope it is, as I have a nephew playing varsity this year). My point is it’s a mistake to think the Westerberg name is magic pill that creates state championships. The great run at Allen was behind arguably the best high school quarterback in Texas history, for starters. 

I think TW is a good HS Coach, KW the jury is still out he's only had one year so a lot of time left

18 hours ago, Matthew328 said:

Predicting the success/failure based on the previous year's JV results isn't always a good indicator.  If a team is very senior heavy, then their JV will be also filled with "older" kids (mostly juniors maybe) so they should win.  If a team is relatively young then good younger kids will play varsity, meaning the JV will likely struggle.  Or even if there is a stud freshman/sophomore that's pulled up and taken away from the JV, they may struggle.

Too many variable to base anything on "last season's JV". 

On 5/12/2022 at 1:26 PM, 89Falcon said:

Is there anything wrong with a "money grab" or "creating a launch pad for your son"? 

Absolutely not if we're the ones doing it. You always want to try to better the financial outlook for you and your family whenever possible. On the flip side if I was an administrator or tax payer I would feel somewhat slighted that we had to compensate TW and his family the way we did, yet he never seemed overly invested in the outcomes. I do think the hire was a net plus overall for BH if for nothing more than saving the district from having to look at those uniforms every week. 

On 5/12/2022 at 12:32 PM, Rez Ipsa said:

I think TW gets somewhat slighted for having KM. He was a state title winning offensive coordinator at Garland and won his first title at Allen in '08 over a more talented FB Hightower team. KM may be the best high school QB ever to play in Texas but he wouldn't have gotten near that status had he stayed in Lewisville and played for those 2-8/1-9 Farmer teams at the time. TW benefited from KM playing for him but you also have to say KM benefited greatly from playing for TW too. 

Yes, the 7,000 kids at Allen gives you a much larger talent pool but it by no means dictates that you'll have the most talent. For instance, North Shore only has about 4,500 kids and is 70% Hispanic but has dwarfed Allen over the years in terms of high level prospects produced. Duncanville has about the same number of kids as North Shore but also has "limited" open enrollment meaning they can legally put together a South Dallas select team every year. Duncanville's neighbor Desoto has less than 2,800 kids and Allen can't hold a candle to the school they call Desoto U due to the amount of high level prospects they pump out on a regular basis. 

I'm not saying TW is the greatest coach ever, I'm just saying that some of those "advantages" that a lot of people attribute to his success aren't as much of an advantage as some people make them out to be.   

On 5/16/2022 at 9:59 AM, Cougar14.2 said:

You always want to try to better the financial outlook for you and your family whenever possible….. I do think the hire was a net plus overall for BH if for nothing more than saving the district from having to look at those uniforms every week. 

I don’t think he was a net plus. If you look at the full picture he did no more than his predecessors but with more hype and more pay. So if anything he is a net minus. At BH he Underachieved relative to his compensation (and hype). BH paid more so BH should have got more.                                                            Glad you see that economics matter for families. It’s easy to understand Mont Belvieu is an attractive choice for many. 

On 5/20/2022 at 10:27 AM, Separation Scientist said:

I don’t think he was a net plus. If you look at the full picture he did no more than his predecessors but with more hype and more pay. So if anything he is a net minus. At BH he Underachieved relative to his compensation (and hype). BH paid more so BH should have got more.                                                            Glad you see that economics matter for families. It’s easy to understand Mont Belvieu is an attractive choice for many. 

No reasonable person expected TW to come to BH and be competing for state titles. He was expected to elevate the program and he did. Most people born post-1980 had never heard of BH until TW took the job. Gage won one playoff game and one district title in his six years there, and never had a 10-win season. TW won three playoff games and one undefeated district title in in five years there, plus posted an 11-win season which was BH's most wins since 2001 under Don Price.  

As for the hype and money part of it, BH brought that on themselves. I'm sure there were plenty of other coaches who would've taken the job for less money and probably done a better job had BH done their due diligence. BH wanted to make a splash with a big name hire and agreed to be extorted to do so, that's on y'all. On the flip side if y'all didn't agree to be extorted then it's unlikely you were going to get a coach of that caliber to leave those plush North Dallas suburbs to come to a place like BH. The only reason Abseck doesn't have similar hype is because the past two coaches with 6 combined state titles have already come there and flamed out trying to turn it around. 

TW was making about $115K when he left Allen. In other words the people that sat there and watched him win four state titles felt that's all he was worth and obviously didn't offer him anything comparable to try to keep him. It was the BH brass that came up with the bright idea to make him one of the highest paid coaches in the state because they thought they were going to get "more", that's all on y'all. BH went for the name just like they did with Gage and got the same results. Allen hired a new guy who had never won a title yet went 16-0 his second year there. Maybe BH should modify their hiring practices instead of seeking out guys who are winning at schools that are nothing like theirs? Don't be surprised if Abseck only stays for 5 years, collects his $800k and leaves for a better situation too.  

36 minutes ago, Cougar14.2 said:

No reasonable person expected TW to come to BH and be competing for state titles.

Very few expected a quick State title. If they did they simply did not understand how it all works. Some did expect more of a change in trajectory of the program, due to the growth and depth that was happening. The program was already trending up, in general. The moderate upward trajectory continued, but its the second derivative that mattered. It does not matter though. He is in the past, and the focus is entirely on the 2022 season anyway.  

I am happy with Absek so far. I have no idea how long he plans to stay. If he does leave after five years for a "better situation", you must be referring just to football. It would be very hard for anyone to find a community with a better quality of life and education than Mont Belvieu, and quality of life is much larger than any sport. 

19 hours ago, Separation Scientist said:

Very few expected a quick State title. If they did they simply did not understand how it all works. Some did expect more of a change in trajectory of the program, due to the growth and depth that was happening. The program was already trending up, in general. The moderate upward trajectory continued, but its the second derivative that mattered. It does not matter though. He is in the past, and the focus is entirely on the 2022 season anyway.  

I am happy with Absek so far. I have no idea how long he plans to stay. If he does leave after five years for a "better situation", you must be referring just to football. It would be very hard for anyone to find a community with a better quality of life and education than Mont Belvieu, and quality of life is much larger than any sport. 

Nah.. I specifically remember the conversations on this very site about him right after the hire.  There were most definitely multiple people with very unrealistic expectations.  Including state titles by a certain year after his hire.  I may be old but my memory's as sharp as ever..

6 minutes ago, oldschool2 said:

Nah.. I specifically remember the conversations on this very site about him right after the hire.  There were most definitely multiple people with very unrealistic expectations.  Including state titles by a certain year after his hire.  I may be old but my memory's as sharp as ever..

be careful! your mind so sharp it may cut your head off.

1 hour ago, oldschool2 said:

That's why I don't like hype. It sets unrealistic expectations. I am sure you did remember some things said by some people, but I am not sure some voices on this board accurately represents the overall BH fanbase of thousands. Personally I did not hear people saying BH was "about to win state"  back then, but maybe a few did here. It really don't matter though, history is history he is long gone and BH looks forward to building under coach Absek. I am ready to get the season started!    

11 minutes ago, Separation Scientist said:

That's why I don't like hype. It sets unrealistic expectations. I am sure you did remember some things said by some people, but I am not sure some voices on this board accurately represents the overall BH fanbase of thousands. Personally I did not hear people saying BH was "about to win state"  back then, but maybe a few did here. It really don't matter though, history is history he is long gone and BH looks forward to building under coach Absek. I am ready to get the season started!    

I have never nor will ever believe that a few represent the whole.. but there were 100% multiple people on this site saying that TW would bring a title by a certain year.  Maybe it was the same guy that created multiple accounts but it happened.  Like you said, it doesn't matter now as it didn't then.  I'll agree that having an experienced coach like TW was a great hire and BH definitely  benefited from it.

Best of luck in the future.