PNG's Spring Practice!

Reagan

It's never a good time to lose your coach but it's really bad timing for PNG this year. The top two teams from this district are probably also going to play in the regional final, depending on how Austin LBJ rebounds? If PNG finishes second in the district they would get LBJ in the second round, which is basically FB Marshall with a lower enrollment. 

6 hours ago, Cougar14.2 said:

It's never a good time to lose your coach but it's really bad timing for PNG this year. The top two teams from this district are probably also going to play in the regional final, depending on how Austin LBJ rebounds? If PNG finishes second in the district they would get LBJ in the second round, which is basically FB Marshall with a lower enrollment. 

But what if the new coach decides we need a defense?  I'm hearing it's looking better already.

On 5/2/2022 at 10:05 AM, Cougar14.2 said:

Are you really that impressed with FBM?  They are a paper tiger in my opinion until proven otherwise.  They are finally in a decent district away from all the gimme HISD games.  They may be legit.  They will finally have to fight a bit to win some games.  

21 hours ago, NDNation said:

But what if the new coach decides we need a defense?  I'm hearing it's looking better already.

Interesting. BF and company couldn’t fix the defense after being there over a decade but Joseph’s staff fixes it in 7 practices🤔 Sounds like y’all made the right decision. 

Make sure you don’t get scheme and personnel confused though. For instance, off the top of my head I can only remember one TD Crosby scored on PNG last year from a scheme mistake the DB made against Womack. All the rest of the TDs(really only talking about first half when starters were in) were a result of Crosby being bigger and faster than PNG. The great coaches like Joseph’s dad figure out how to mitigate those disadvantages. PNG is going to have to wait until the fall to see if the same is true for Jr. 

16 minutes ago, dme1111 said:

Are you really that impressed with FBM?  They are a paper tiger in my opinion until proven otherwise.  They are finally in a decent district away from all the gimme HISD games.  They may be legit.  They will finally have to fight a bit to win some games.  

In the last six years they’ve been to five regional finals and two state championships while playing in the same division as the teams in this coverage area. Their bad season was 10-1. That’s one heck of a paper tiger. Remember how they absolutely dominated Ned in that 3rd round game a couple of years ago? 

Their new district is not going to be stronger than the one they were playing in with Texas City, Manvel and FB Elkins. It’ll just be stronger than it was the last two years. 

They’ll have the best coach and the best players in the district. They also got a potentially huge QB transfer this off-season that might allow Ja’koby Banks to move to his natural position in the slot where he will play in college. Kid will most likely be a high major prospect like Malik Hornsby was for them a few years ago. Yeah, I think they’re that good. They just had a bad matchup against BH, they won’t have those same issues in this district. 

On 5/2/2022 at 10:05 AM, Cougar14.2 said:

Thanks for your opinion and your never ending hijacking of threads, but we are talking about practice, practice. Not the fall games, practice. Not how great Crosby is, practice. So you have any comments on that or will you fill the thread about how PN-G has no chance unless Crosby plays their JV? 

PS. I acknowledge your football IQ but damn I would like to open a thread once about PN-G that doesn't have your comments about Crosby, FB Marshall etc. We all get it, they are great. 

22 hours ago, Cougar14.2 said:

In the last six years they’ve been to five regional finals and two state championships while playing in the same division as the teams in this coverage area. Their bad season was 10-1. That’s one heck of a paper tiger. Remember how they absolutely dominated Ned in that 3rd round game a couple of years ago? 

Their new district is not going to be stronger than the one they were playing in with Texas City, Manvel and FB Elkins. It’ll just be stronger than it was the last two years. 

They’ll have the best coach and the best players in the district. They also got a potentially huge QB transfer this off-season that might allow Ja’koby Banks to move to his natural position in the slot where he will play in college. Kid will most likely be a high major prospect like Malik Hornsby was for them a few years ago. Yeah, I think they’re that good. They just had a bad matchup against BH, they won’t have those same issues in this district. 

you are correct.  It is definitely not stronger than the district you mentioned.  

22 hours ago, aki1994 said:

Thanks for your opinion and your never ending hijacking of threads, but we are talking about practice, practice. Not the fall games, practice. Not how great Crosby is, practice. So you have any comments on that or will you fill the thread about how PN-G has no chance unless Crosby plays their JV? 

PS. I acknowledge your football IQ but damn I would like to open a thread once about PN-G that doesn't have your comments about Crosby, FB Marshall etc. We all get it, they are great. 

Dude, you think that's hijacking a thread? There were 9 posts in 4 days when I made that comment and I mentioned Crosby once to add an example to what I was saying. Now you're saying dumb about JV players, come on dude. We're not in the same division anymore and there's probably a 99% chance Crosby will never play PNG again, why would I make comments about PNG having a chance against Crosby anymore? 

The first comment I made literally talks about PNG possibly being able to finishing 2nd in the district and make a regional final, wth are you talking about? As far as practice, I had a guy from Santa Fe who has a relative on the team come by and tell me "We're looking really good in Spring practice so far.", so there you go. 

On 5/3/2022 at 2:10 PM, dme1111 said:

This is an odd take, they laid an egg last year but calling them a paper tiger is a little much...they've proven they are a contender....I think the new district is going to help them immensely 

As for how a team looks in spring ball I think its really hard to tell just because you dont have a frame of reference against other teams.....biggest thing about spring is coming out healthy and maybe settling individual position battles

On 5/3/2022 at 2:23 PM, Cougar14.2 said:

Interesting. BF and company couldn’t fix the defense after being there over a decade but Joseph’s staff fixes it in 7 practices🤔 Sounds like y’all made the right decision. 

Make sure you don’t get scheme and personnel confused though. For instance, off the top of my head I can only remember one TD Crosby scored on PNG last year from a scheme mistake the DB made against Womack. All the rest of the TDs(really only talking about first half when starters were in) were a result of Crosby being bigger and faster than PNG. The great coaches like Joseph’s dad figure out how to mitigate those disadvantages. PNG is going to have to wait until the fall to see if the same is true for Jr. 

I haven't seen many disadvantages needing mitigation in Joseph's stock of athletes.

I think any kind of defensive know how is better than what we had. Png wasn't even picked to make the playoffs last year but went 3 rounds deep. We have alot of talent coming back. They are only gonna get better. As for the new coach I guess we get to see if he lives up to the family tree pedigree. I think they will do fine. The way I look at it any improvement on the defensive side of the ball Is a plus! I'm ready to see some scrimmages and see where our weaknesses lie.

Well, it’s time for the non rah rah post!! I have watched some scrimmages, and I will say this. I love the energy, and I love the fact they are getting coached up. The few moves Joseph made are interesting, mainly because Loftin at NG was done rather quickly, which shows me he has done some homework. I actually told his mom before it was made, he needed to be at NG, and it happened quick. The CB coming back that was suspended last year is a big help as well. He is the fastest kid on the defensive side of the ball. Am i expecting miracles? No. I do think we will see improvement. I also like Landon on defense as well, he brings swag. I think the hope, would be to sneak in as a 2 seed best case, and go in the playoffs an underdog and sneak up on teams. Tommy is getting a fresh start as well with BF gone, and if he can stay healthy he will have a good season at RB. Only time will tell, I think our non district games will help us out a lot. We are undersized in several positions, but I think the main goal is to tackle and do some fundamental stuff well, that we haven’t done in years. I’m not sure if we are going to be better record wise, but i do think you will see a better effort all around, versus years past. For the outsides, a lot of people had lost faith in BF, so I think a change will help motivate, and bring a new energy, as we seen in the inter squad scrimmages. 

Did they keep the same sideline hair dresser or did the new coach bring in his own guy ? Or gal . The other guy was quick to fix any out of place hairs as soon as the helmet came off. I heard he worked under many big time names  such as Vidal Sassoon , Paul Mitchell, David Raccuglia & Horst Rechelbacher . He's gonna be hard to replace