Vidor students suspended over racist videos and "KKK Jr" groupchat

wbfan

• wbfan changed the title to Vidor students suspended over racist videos and "KKK Jr" groupchat
1 hour ago, wbfan said:

This is the hidden content, please

At least the district disciplined them immediately but let's be honest. NOBODY and I mean NOBODY is surprised about this.

Unacceptable, glad they were disciplined. Would you be even more surprised to learn that they learned that kind of language from the thousands of black rap videos that use that kind of trash language? 

I’m surprised.  I would’ve thought using racial slurs was over, but young folks are deluged with them in some music today.  I’d also bet you could hear the same words being said at United and WB, but since it’s Vidor, WOW, big deal.  Glad of the discipline.  VISD was right in addressing this immediately.

I will say that I haven’t heard a white kid using a racial slur in a long, long time, but there’s always a few knuckleheads.  Only thing comparable is folks who want to blame all Vidor students for the actions of a few.

2 hours ago, Hagar said:

I’m surprised.  I would’ve thought using racial slurs was over,

No way. I have been called "cracker" more times than I can count, and I work for a large corporation. Blacks call each other the N word there all the time with zero consequences. I have never once witnessed a white calling a black anything like that. A white would be fired on the spot.      

8 hours ago, Unwoke said:

Unacceptable, glad they were disciplined. Would you be even more surprised to learn that they learned that kind of language from the thousands of black rap videos that use that kind of trash language? 

No doubt they have heard that type of language in rap music, but I doubt that’s where they learned it. That’s not where you or I learned it along with millions of others. 

9 hours ago, Unwoke said:

I guarantee your father and especially grandfather used that word long before Hip Hop was invented. Try again.

Also Black people don't use -er.

1 hour ago, wbfan said:

I guarantee your father and especially grandfather used that word long before Hip Hop was invented. Try again.

Also Black people don't use -er.

Hypocrisy 101…try again. You know nothing about my father or grandfather but please keep showing your ignorance.

2 hours ago, SmashMouth said:

No doubt they have heard that type of language in rap music, but I doubt that’s where they learned it. That’s not where you or I learned it along with millions of others. 

Again I don’t think you need to speak for me either. Growing up in Port Arthur I heard it all the time from other black kids. An yes they used the er and the a. Either way it’s unacceptable. Hagar’s post is spot on. 

1 hour ago, Unwoke said:

Again I don’t think you need to speak for me either. Growing up in Port Arthur I heard it all the time from other black kids. An yes they used the er and the a. Either way it’s unacceptable. Hagar’s post is spot on. 

I don’t think I spoke for you. There simply weren’t rap videos on MTV spewing profanity, nor was there internet to host such videos. 

7 minutes ago, SmashMouth said:

I don’t think I spoke for you. There simply weren’t rap videos on MTV spewing profanity, nor was there internet to host such videos. 

You are correct, none of that was around in the 70’s but there were plenty of black kids spewing that garbage language along with white racial language in the school and neighborhood I lived in. As said from the get go it’s unacceptable but let’s not kid ourselves that it is only white kids spewing racial words, it goes both ways. 

Anybody who thinks it's okay to use that word is a racist... no matter the color of their skin. 

If you're white and think that it's okay to insult a person because of their person because of their race... you're a racist.

If you're black and believe that the color of your skin gives you the right to say that word while others should be punished for saying it.... you're a racist by definition, too.   

Those are facts, and they're indisputable.    There's no need to argue "a" vs. "er,"  "there are black people and then there are n-words", " it's a term of endearment among black people," or any other stupid excuses for using slurs or epithets.   Anybody that believes it's okay to say it is a racist piece of crap.   Period.

7 minutes ago, CardinalBacker said:

Anybody that believes it's okay to say it is a racist piece of crap.   Period.

I totally disagree. If a black dude says it to another black dude like “What’s up man.” (Replace the word man with the slur), are you saying that one or both of them are racists? That’s silliness beyond belief. 

9 minutes ago, SmashMouth said:

I totally disagree. If a black dude says it to another black dude like “What’s up man.” (Replace the word man with the slur), are you saying that one or both of them are racists? That’s silliness beyond belief. 

If a person believes that their skin color gives them the right to say a word while other people should be punished for using that same word, that person is by definition a racist.  

EDIT.... If someone believes that their skin color gives them the right to do something that people of other races are punished for, then they are racists.  It's not even up for discussion.  "My skin color gives me the right to ride in the front of the bus... if you try to ride up here, you'll be arrested."  "Your skin color means you can't live in this neighborhood, but I can."  "Your skin color means you can't own a home, but I can."  "Your skin color means you can't say this word, but I can."  All despicable racist thought processes.  

The fact that punishing people for using this word at an institutional level while glorifying others for using it proves that institutional racism exists at the highest levels in different forms against ALL races...  not just blacks. 

Don't take my arguments to mean that I want permission to use it.   I think the word is offensive and anyone that uses it is a racist.  

26 minutes ago, CardinalBacker said:

If a person believes that their skin color gives them the right to say a word while other people should be punished for using that same word, that person is by definition a racist.  

But that's not what you said...

41 minutes ago, CardinalBacker said:

Anybody that believes it's okay to say it is a racist piece of crap.   Period.

Disagree.

It's the intent in which the word is said. For instance, my mom used to say to me, "Son, if you don't behave, I'm gonna whip your a$$ 'til your nose bleeds." Now, I would not call her a child abuser. The saying was really pretty funny, and we would usually both laugh when she said it.  She would have died for me (and almost did), and I knew it. No harm, no foul. Words are not finite in meaning or intent. It's the power "we" give those words that make them what they are in the first place. Personally, if someone called me a cracker or a honky (my favorite) , I would laugh my butt off. I don't give those words any power, so they mean nothing to me, and they sound hilarious.

3 hours ago, wbfan said:

I guarantee your father and especially grandfather used that word long before Hip Hop was invented.

I can promise you, my Dad neve used that word - EVER! You, my friend, might be a little racist yourself to make such a blanket  statement based on your thoughts of a person's actions because of their skin color.

Why does an insult have to be racist, homophobic, misogynistic, sexist, etc.?

If I am mad at my neighbor and he is a white male heterosexual senior citizen, what am I if I call him a no good ¥0^€%  ¥{}[<£& and a $&#^€!!?

Why does anger necessarily have to be labeled as anything other than just anger?

3 hours ago, SmashMouth said:

But that's not what you said...

Disagree.

It's the intent in which the word is said. For instance, my mom used to say to me, "Son, if you don't behave, I'm gonna whip your a$$ 'til your nose bleeds." Now, I would not call her a child abuser. The saying was really pretty funny, and we would usually both laugh when she said it.  She would have died for me (and almost did), and I knew it. No harm, no foul. Words are not finite in meaning or intent. It's the power "we" give those words that make them what they are in the first place. Personally, if someone called me a cracker or a honky (my favorite) , I would laugh my butt off. I don't give those words any power, so they mean nothing to me, and they sound hilarious.

Okay, so with which intent am I allowed to say that word?  And by "allowed," I mean "for which I will not be accused of a hate crime and lose everything that I've worked for, both tangible and intangible (such as my good name and reputation)."  Be specific. 

If you think that word doesn't have any power, start throwing it around in conversation and see what happens to your world. Unless, of course, you're black. 

1 hour ago, tvc184 said:

Why does an insult have to be racist, homophobic, misogynistic, sexist, etc.?

If I am mad at my neighbor and he is a white male heterosexual senior citizen, what am I if I call him a no good ¥0^€%  ¥{}[<£& and a $&#^€!!?

Why does anger necessarily have to be labeled as anything other than just anger?

For the same reason that the AP capitalizes "Black" and leaves "white" lower cased in all of their news stories.  Everything has to torn down so that it can be reset.  

ALL of this nonsense is going to lead to bloodshed, I'm afraid.  There's no other explanation for why the left is pushing it so hard. 

2 minutes ago, CardinalBacker said:

For the same reason that the AP capitalizes "Black" and leaves "white" lower cased in all of their news stories.  Everything has to torn down so that it can be reset.  

ALL of this nonsense is going to lead to bloodshed, I'm afraid.  There's no other explanation for why the left is pushing it so hard. 

Divide and conquer. 

4 hours ago, Unwoke said:

You are correct, none of that was around in the 70’s but there were plenty of black kids spewing that garbage language along with white racial language in the school and neighborhood I lived in. As said from the get go it’s unacceptable but let’s not kid ourselves that it is only white kids spewing racial words, it goes both ways. 

That's cool, i learned it from my grandfather.  

1 minute ago, bullets13 said:

That's cool, i learned it from my grandfather.  

True story.... I was going to Lamar in the mid nineties and the OJ trial was ongoing.  I was watching the news one evening and Marcia Clark was questioning that cop Mark Furman(sp) about if he'd ever used "the n-word."  My dumb____ was over there like "N-word?  I know the A-word, a couple of B-words, that C-word that women HATE... but I can't think of an "n-word."" I had honestly never heard it called "the n-word" before that.  It just was what it was.  When I grew up it was an insult as far as I was concerned.  Probably worse than dummy but nowhere near an actual swear word.  And before anybody starts throwing accusations around, of course I used it back then... just like everybody else.  Or at least everybody else from this part of the world.  

Somewhere along the way I just decided that it's not acceptable for me to use... behind closed doors, in jest, or any other way.  It's just not okay.  I also try to spread that message and let people know how I feel.  Don't say it around me, either, please... you're gonna hear about it.