Setx Super Gold Team

On 4/11/2022 at 8:16 AM, Hooohead.com said:

How can the 1st team come out but not the rest. I know theres some kids who want to know if there on this list...🏀

Second team:

G: Zac Sells, Kountze
G: Jailan Ardoin, HF
G: Aron Akhtar, Legacy Christian
F: Trip Parker, Nederland
F: Trealyn Porchia, United

50 minutes ago, TxHoops said:

By the way, for all who are anti-"everyone gets a ribbon" (i.e., the all district teams now), this is the team for you.  It has been, and continues to be, the elite list to make in Southeast Texas.  5 on first team, 5 on second team.  And way more often than not, Matt Faye and crew nail it.  

yup.  the only issue is how bad the voting can be (two different years I got a superlative award in soccer over players who played my position in my district and they made the supergold team over me with lesser stats, but were from the "right" schools).  it's always a problem when you're picking a team out of players you've seen a few times or not at all, but at least they don't just give it to 50 area kids and water down the honor.  they do tend to do better in bigger sports, and in general i'm sure it's improved some as coverage has over the last 20 years.  

40 minutes ago, TxHoops said:

By the way, for all who are anti-"everyone gets a ribbon" (i.e., the all district teams now), this is the team for you.  It has been, and continues to be, the elite list to make in Southeast Texas.  5 on first team, 5 on second team.  And way more often than not, Matt Faye and crew nail it.  

Another reason why we do not do All SETXsports teams here any longer. Just too many teams in our coverage area to try to put a team together.

A little easier to do a BE Super Gold as they only consider their reader coverage area schools.

But I tend to agree, the teams are usually spot on.

3 hours ago, AggiesAreWe said:

Another reason why we do not do All SETXsports teams here any longer. Just too many teams in our coverage area to try to put a team together.

A little easier to do a BE Super Gold as they only consider their reader coverage area schools.

But I tend to agree, the teams are usually spot on.

Their picks at a minimum are usually highly justified.  And I usually can just about predict the team (in Basketball anyway), before I see it.  This year, 4 of the kids were absolute no brainers.  The fifth could have been a few different kids but no issue at all with who they went with and the others were on the second team. 

1 hour ago, TxHoops said:

Their picks at a minimum are usually highly justified.  And I usually can just about predict the team (in Basketball anyway), before I see it.  This year, 4 of the kids were absolute no brainers.  The fifth could have been a few different kids but no issue at all with who they went with and the others were on the second team. 

There are 2-3 players that I could see on 2nd team over Akhtar and Parker.

3 hours ago, AggiesAreWe said:

There are 2-3 players that I could see on 2nd team over Akhtar and Parker.

Agreed.  I was speaking of the first team having 4 no brainers.  The 5th was well deserved, but I wouldn’t have had an issue with Porchia, Ardoin or Sells being the 5th first teamer either. 

4 hours ago, ballismorethanLIFE said:

WOS Michael Wardlow should had made the list 

Based on talent maybe but not based on production.  The only other player in that district who deserved serious consideration is Ben Elliott.  I might have even had him on the second team above a couple of those guys.  

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/12/2022 at 12:45 PM, TxHoops said:

That's me.  Definitely refreshing to see FIVE on a 1st Team basketball list and FIVE on a 2nd Team.  As intended... 

Congrats to those that made it and congrats to those that were in the conversation or even considered to be on the list.