Man Arrested for Murder of 16-year-old Girl in Fannett

bullets13

5 hours ago, thetragichippy said:

I can tell you for a fact in the early 90's in PA one night I responded to two separate shooting and one stabbing, and I don't recall any of them making the news. 

People don’t have a clue what goes on today. I would estimate that PA and Beaumont in Jefferson County, there are probably 50 of what the FBI classifies as major crimes such as aggravated assault, murder, sexual assault, arson, burglary  and robbery. That doesn’t include the 3 Mid County cities, the county jurisdiction outside of those cities and all of Orange and Hardin counties.

So let’s say the immediate Golden Triangle area has 75 major crimes “each day”. That is over 500 per week. With the talk of the Internet spreading the word, how many of those 500 major crimes do we hear about?

In truth a lot more crime was covered in the 80s and 90s than there is now. Anytime the police make a report, the basic information is public record and anybody can access it almost immediately. Back when the newspapers and the television stations actually had several reporters, they would show up at many of our scenes. It was common practice when I was a Night Shift patrol officer that when we had a major scene  such as a bad vehicle accident, a house fire, a shooting, etc., once the scene was secured, we started looking for a place to stage the media. We knew all three television stations and both newspapers were going to show up and maybe some other people. I did many newspaper interviews and several TV interviews at that time. That was including things that happened at 2 AM. If I went to a major scene today and grabbed a couple of patrol officers and said, find a place to stage the media, they would look at me like a three headed monster and wonder what the heck I was talking about. Better yet would be me asking who wants to do the on camera interview. 

Even new newspaper reporters were given what is called the police beat or maybe blotter reports in large cities. On many nights they would show up at the police station about 9 PM and request all of the police reports from the previous 24 hours. We would give them a stack of maybe 100 reports in PA. They will flip  through the reports and find 2-5  things that looked interesting to write stories. They would then go to the newspaper office and write their articles so they could finish them in time for the midnight printing.

Good luck if you can  find that in today’s Internet media reporting.

2 hours ago, tvc184 said:

People don’t have a clue what goes on today. I would estimate that PA and Beaumont in Jefferson County, there are probably 50 of what the FBI classifies as major crimes such as aggravated assault, murder, sexual assault, arson, burglary  and robbery. That doesn’t include the 3 Mid County cities, the county jurisdiction outside of those cities and all of Orange and Hardin counties.

So let’s say the immediate Golden Triangle area has 75 major crimes “each day”. That is over 500 per week. With the talk of the Internet spreading the word, how many of those 500 major crimes do we hear about?

In truth a lot more crime was covered in the 80s and 90s than there is now. Anytime the police make a report, the basic information is public record and anybody can access it almost immediately. Back when the newspapers and the television stations actually had several reporters, they would show up at many of our scenes. It was common practice when I was a Night Shift patrol officer that when we had a major scene  such as a bad vehicle accident, a house fire, a shooting, etc., once the scene was secured, we started looking for a place to stage the media. We knew all three television stations and both newspapers were going to show up and maybe some other people. I did many newspaper interviews and several TV interviews at that time. That was including things that happened at 2 AM. If I went to a major scene today and grabbed a couple of patrol officers and said, find a place to stage the media, they would look at me like a three headed monster and wonder what the heck I was talking about. Better yet would be me asking who wants to do the on camera interview. 

Even new newspaper reporters were given what is called the police beat or maybe blotter reports in large cities. On many nights they would show up at the police station about 9 PM and request all of the police reports from the previous 24 hours. We would give them a stack of maybe 100 reports in PA. They will flip  through the reports and find 2-5  things that looked interesting to write stories. They would then go to the newspaper office and write their articles so they could finish them in time for the midnight printing.

Good luck if you can  find that in today’s Internet media reporting.

I still remember when you showed me that decapitation on hwy 69. That was crazy. Luckily I'd seen stuff like that before. 

Just killing time…..

If what I got from various articles is correct…..

The guy had two girlfriends. One is age appropriate and one was a child.

He got the 16 year old child pregnant or believed that he did.

Other girlfriend finds out and decides (with or without the boyfriend) to kill the child to keep him from being sent to prison.

Other girlfriend then shoots and kills the possibly pregnant 16 year old.

The guy helps to hide the body.

It is actually a relatively simple case and is not infrequent assuming the above is correct. My questions now are….

Not only being a despicable murderer, why did the woman who appears to have committed the murder, want to stay with a boyfriend who got a 16-year-old child  pregnant? It seems like a logical response would be to break up with him (which is how this all should have ended ) or if she was determined to shoot anyone, why not shoot the guy that caused it all and cheated on you? The woman that committed the murder should have dumped her boyfriend and let him go to prison for sexually assaulting a 16-year-old even if it was with consent. Case closed and we might not of even heard about the sexual assault case.

Next, was the boyfriend involved before the murder occurred? What if this a situation where he did not want it to happen but after it did, went along with his “other” girlfriend? Or perhaps he was in on the whole thing including the planning and luring the 16 year old to where she could be shot?

Another thing is, was the 16-year-old girl pregnant? If she was then by Texas law it was Capital Murder. If convicted of that crime, a person faces only too possible sentences. That is life without the possibility of parole or the death sentence. In either case the person will never walk as a free person again and will only leave  the prison after death. Either would be acceptable to me.

This is not a question but just a statement. Let’s say the DA does not have the evidence of or the guy can put up a defense to show that he was in no way involved in the murder including the knowledge that it was going to happen and only got involved after the fact. I believe by Texas law the murder charge against him will not stand up unless there were other people involved. That goes into organized crime but I’m going to at this point to assume it is just two people. He then make a plea deal for tampering with evidence being a body, accepts prison time but at a lesser rate and not face the death penalty if he testifies against his girlfriend? If I remember correctly, organize crime requires three or more people to be involved, even after the fact and even if they don’t know each other. Under organized crime, unless the law has recently changed, all people involved can be charged with the highest crime. An example  of organized crime might be a couple of guys want to rob a store and one of them asks his buddy to loan him a handgun. The buddy knows what it is for but wants no part of the robbery itself.  While robbing the store, the clerk is shot and killed. While only one person may have done the shooting, all three would be guilty of capital murder. So in this case (without googling the Penal Code), was there other people involved making it organized crime and more arrests are coming?

On 4/1/2022 at 4:05 PM, tvc184 said:

I believe by Texas law the murder charge against him will not stand up unless there were other people involved.

I was thinking the same thing......A few things made me wonder if the dude is just stupid......or maybe smart

1.  Didn't pull the trigger

2. Let the cops in

3. Seems to be cooperating

4.  Didn't run

If it's he said, she said......if he says I was shocked she killed her, and panicked, which is why I covered the body, I was figuring out how I should turn myself in, and the cops came, so I just let them in and confessed......

I could see him not getting a murder charge.....

On 3/30/2022 at 3:39 PM, tvc184 said:

People can only relate to what they experience. Although in history books, no one reading this forum was there for slavery, Indian displacement and for most people, not even segregation laws in the 50’s and early 60’s. I will be 67 on my next birthday and I was 3 years old when the 60’s rolled around.

Just like I wasn’t around for slavery, almost no one reading this was around for Jim Crow laws either.

Yes times seemed better  in the “old days” or maybe “better” is more appropriately described as “simpler”.  Not locking your door, kids not coming home until after dark because their parents didn’t have to worry that they hadn’t seen you all day, some stores having blank checks at the checkout because you forgot yours and you were trusted to fill in your correct name and bank account number and so on. Some people (most?) even left their cars unlocked and many left their keys in the car.   That includes the Black community. My best friend’s first cousins lived in Riverside in Orange and I used to go there a few times in the summer to play. We played hide and seek and other games with the Black kids living there and I don’t recall them being in before dark either. I don’t think their parents were worried about them getting stopped by the police for selling drugs or them being the victim of a drive-by shooting. It was a simpler time. Was there racism? Discrimination? Sure, but there was also a lot more freedom to move about without fear.

Obviously there is now much more freedom technically/legally and merely acceptance.  But is it better? Yes in a strictly legal and acceptance sense.  When I first became a police officer in the mid-80s and even until the mid-90s, there was violent crime and n PA but it was mostly located in small pockets and they could easily be avoided. Now? There were no drive by shooting or violent crimes like robberies in neighborhoods. The local Stop and Rob convenience store? Sure and in those limited neighborhoods and I am not talking Black neighborhoods.  There were several areas in Black neighborhoods in PA that I never went to for police services. There was simply no need. They were quiet and generally self policed.  The violence was mostly concentrated in the areas of short Texas, Sally’s alley and a short strip of Houston Ave. 

I don’t think parents are less worried about their children today because it is different.  Quite the opposite.   Violent crime isn’t concentrated in a couple of small pockets of a city. People are not wise to leave their doors unlocked or even your car door if you are out of it for even a minute. I was probably in my late 20s when I first started thinking about locking car doors. 

So while it is easy for a 40 year old today to say it is better now, what is their experience time frame? A person turning 40 this year was 15 years old in 1997.  That person has no direct knowledge of the “old days”. I could only guess but I think the Black kids that I played with in Orange who are approaching 70 years old, might long for the old days but without the discrimination. Maybe like, I wish it was like 2022  but back when I was a child in 1963.

So yes things are bad now and they were bad then but for different reasons. It goes by a person’s experience. For all its faults, some of the previous generations had a much simpler life. It depends on if you look so the glass as half full or half empty.

In my opinion….

Was brought back here by a like on one of my post, and re-read yours.  You mentioned the blank checks, which reminded me of another deal in the mid-50’s.  We lived about a mile from one of two grocery stores.  My Mom was a housewife, who never drove (never had a DL).  We only had one car (1949 Plymouth) which Dad drove to work at the Bethlehem Ship yard.  If we needed groceries during the week in the summertime, my Mom, Sister & I would walk that mile.  Pick up what we had to have (that we could carry, lol) and the owner had an old receipt book.  He’d write down the total we owed.  On Friday evening, which was Dad’s payday, we’d all drive over and Dad paid the owner what we owed for the week.  So yes, there was trust back then.  You’ll play hades getting Walmart or Market Basket to let you do that today.  Sounds like a corny line from a movie, but in those days, a handshake was a binding gesture.

7 hours ago, Hagar said:

Was brought back here by a like on one of my post, and re-read yours.  You mentioned the blank checks, which reminded me of another deal in the mid-50’s.  We lived about a mile from one of two grocery stores.  My Mom was a housewife, who never drove (never had a DL).  We only had one car (1949 Plymouth) which Dad drove to work at the Bethlehem Ship yard.  If we needed groceries during the week in the summertime, my Mom, Sister & I would walk that mile.  Pick up what we had to have (that we could carry, lol) and the owner had an old receipt book.  He’d write down the total we owed.  On Friday evening, which was Dad’s payday, we’d all drive over and Dad paid the owner what we owed for the week.  So yes, there was trust back then.  You’ll play hades getting Walmart or Market Basket to let you do that today.  Sounds like a corny line from a movie, but in those days, a handshake was a binding gesture.

We had a similar arrangement, and I’m nowhere near as old as you are. (Lol). It was definitely a simpler time. 

On 4/13/2022 at 5:39 AM, Hagar said:

Veterans Grocery in Orange still did that back in 2010. Not even sure if they're still open today though. Those old mom & pop shops are probably all extinct now. 

Wait... this ain't "Hagar’s Ramblings "?

17 hours ago, WOSdrummer99 said:

Veterans Grocery in Orange still did that back in 2010. Not even sure if they're still open today though. Those old mom & pop shops are probably all extinct now. 

Wait... this ain't "Hagar’s Ramblings "?

Not sure if they’re still open or not either,probably not!They had the best bbq chip beef samich I ever had,they quit doing them several years ago ☹️

28 minutes ago, wo-s#1 said:

Not sure if they’re still open or not either,probably not!They had the best bbq chip beef samich I ever had,they quit doing them several years ago ☹️

My fav was extra thick turkey with fresh lettuce and home grown tomatoes. Google says they open at 5am monday. But the "mayor of Cove" says no they been closed a couple years. Covid probably got em. Collier(sp) family was who owned it

• 2 months later...