Coaches on the Move

49 minutes ago, 5GallonBucket said:

most on the outside wouldn’t 

his decision is not a complete surprise for me even though I hoped he would stick around because it made the district interesting, but I understand and respect his decision 

Is it another case of small town "politics" ruining a good thing?

On 3/26/2022 at 8:51 AM, Charles in Charge said:

Vidor caught lightning in a bottle with English and a great run of athletes.  It's unreal to expect a coach to recreate that and this is the second time they've run off a really good coach because of that expectation.  I cannot imagine anyone better than Coach Smith who would want that job.

English was a good coach, it wasnt JUST a great run of athletes. The good athletes wanted to play for him because he was a good coach

Don't know if many of you have read the book King Cotton.  It's a great book on Buna basketball and how legendary Coach Cotton Robinson led them to 7 State Championships.  I don't know if Buna will ever see another State Championship again.  Is considered an elite high school coaching position amongst coaches these days, or just a small town that had a good run in the 50's?  

On 4/27/2022 at 9:14 PM, Cherokee88 said:

Is a former Orange County Head Coach in the mix for this one?

Multiple sources have said this job is DJ Wilson's.  Considering he led Hj to a district title and laid thr groundwork for West Orange being so good this year, I say that would be a hone run hire.

9 hours ago, Charles in Charge said:

Multiple sources have said this job is DJ Wilson's.  Considering he led Hj to a district title and laid thr groundwork for West Orange being so good this year, I say that would be a hone run hire.

I think you mean "help" lead. Clay Davis is still the head coach at HJ.

Buna will probably still require the coach to coach football. That may or may not be a deal breaker with some.

On 4/27/2022 at 12:46 PM, 5GallonBucket said:

I really don’t know the details

But I had a discussion with him during the season and now hearing this i connected the dots.

and saying that…..he never mentioned leaving Buna.

Wait what?!  Boys Basketball  coach leaving Buna too?  😲

14 hours ago, Charles in Charge said:

After 4 days of being open I find it hard to believe there is a favorite. 

Actually met up with some people from Buna yesterday and asked about the situation. They showed me some Facebook post from parents and talked about fans always yelling at him during the game. Don’t think it was small town politics that ran him out.  But if admin didn’t remove those fans during the game, I doubt they did anything to try to keep him. The fact that school board members are posting about the job on here, maybe there were some politics going on that they didn’t know about. Girls basketball coach went to orangefield and now boys basketball is leaving. Both were successful and both wanted to stay there for their entire coaching career. Both leaving raises questions and concerns for the program. 
Good luck to the coach going forward.