HJ Hires Zach Bass as new AD/HC

1 hour ago, CardinalBacker said:

After the success that we had in 2016, there was a really big turnout for 2017.  That campaign ended up 1-7 or something like that (unbelievable string of injuries and a lot of talent had graduated) and by the following year turnout for the team was abysmal.  

The problem is that kids have a much better chance of being successful by playing baseball and participating in football (especially on a losing squad) can cause a kid to miss out on baseball season and just erases all motivation.  You'll definitely get more kids to turn out if you're winning, but not necessarily the kids who have a chance to play baseball on the next level.  It also comes down to kids playing LL, select, and having private coaches for baseball, but nobody is putting the effort into honing their kid's QB skills at the same age group.   

I don't know what the answer actually is.

It’s hard to get kids to buy into a losing program. Winning takes hard work.

40 minutes ago, purpleeagle said:

It’s hard to get kids to buy into a losing program. Winning takes hard work.

I dunno... You'll get the fat boys that are playing Tuba in the marching band to sign up and the kids who are JV Juniors to stay in the program... the problem is how do you get that talented kid (and his folks)  that just wants to play baseball to get excited about football camps and STJFL instead of select ball with enough time to develop before the program actually turns the corner?

Sophomore starting tailback in 2017 didn't play his junior or senior year... he already had interest as a pitcher.  The starting qb from 2014 sat out his senior season because he was already committed to UT to play baseball.  It's not just pitchers... the all district catcher from 15-17 or so never played football.  It's a given that your catcher would probably make a FINE linebacker... just not in BC. 

I'm not hating on the baseball program, but its success comes at the expense of football in Bridge City.  You can't have 26 district championships in baseball and two in football... something is just off. 

5 hours ago, CardinalBacker said:

I dunno... You'll get the fat boys that are playing Tuba in the marching band to sign up and the kids who are JV Juniors to stay in the program... the problem is how do you get that talented kid (and his folks)  that just wants to play baseball to get excited about football camps and STJFL instead of select ball with enough time to develop before the program actually turns the corner?

Sophomore starting tailback in 2017 didn't play his junior or senior year... he already had interest as a pitcher.  The starting qb from 2014 sat out his senior season because he was already committed to UT to play baseball.  It's not just pitchers... the all district catcher from 15-17 or so never played football.  It's a given that your catcher would probably make a FINE linebacker... just not in BC. 

I'm not hating on the baseball program, but its success comes at the expense of football in Bridge City.  You can't have 26 district championships in baseball and two in football... something is just off. 

Tell those kids to play football it will increase their chance to finally win a SC in baseball… might have a bigger turnout then. Lol 

Man I remember when BC was good in football, they beat png that particular year i believe when they had Prosperie at QB, Brian Bock was the RB for BC, they made the playoffs. 1996 maybe or 97.... BC folks was hyped bout that team. 

Don't quote me on that but I believe that's what happened 😁

11 hours ago, navydawg31 said:

Tell those kids to play football it will increase their chance to finally win a SC in baseball… might have a bigger turnout then. Lol 

Yepp, I think there are a decent amount of studies out there that show that recruits who play multiple sports in high school end up being more successful at their main sport when they get to college. 

On 4/19/2022 at 7:05 PM, CardinalBacker said:

No, sir… kids with arms sit out for baseball in BC. You can’t take a kid with zero experience/camps and expect good things to happen. 

It’s normal to watch kids in street clothes on the sidelines tossing a ball around better than anybody on the team. 

I’ve always said that there are probably 45 kids at school in PNG (elem-high school) that dream of being qb1 for the Indians and are working hard to make it happen. There are no such kids/parents with qb dreams in Bridge City. 

true dat'

Guest mrtomcat

It's called an Oop-dee-oop. Overload the defense on one side, burn them one-on-one on the other, like West Canaan did in 1999.  Thats the offense HJ needs to implement !!!

On 4/19/2022 at 1:27 PM, Hawks18 said:

If they continue to run the Slot T I don’t think they win many games, Dubois was special with that offense and I don’t think there are many coaches that can run it effectively that are looking for jobs. 

Most kids don't wanna play slot t put their hand in the dirt. If you go spread at least you have a better chance of getting the basketball and/or baseball kids.  Need a spread quarterback? Recruit the short stop.

On 4/20/2022 at 4:31 PM, CardinalBacker said:

Matt Menard, Cameron Dishon, Johnny Dishon all played football and baseball at BC, all still went D1 in baseball.  It can be done. Those are just the 3 names that stick out in my mind.

12 hours ago, TheOutsider said:

Matt Menard, Cameron Dishon, Johnny Dishon all played football and baseball at BC, all still went D1 in baseball.  It can be done. Those are just the 3 names that stick out in my mind.

Ethan Oceguera, Deegan King, JT Fielder, Justin Abate, JimSharon Bearden, Braylen Collins, Matt Livingston, Landon Reeves, Hutch Bearden all varsity baseball players at BC all play football. 

On 4/22/2022 at 9:56 PM, DLivingston said:

Ethan Oceguera, Deegan King, JT Fielder, Justin Abate, JimSharon Bearden, Braylen Collins, Matt Livingston, Landon Reeves, Hutch Bearden all varsity baseball players at BC all play football. 

Oceguera is the only qb that I recognize… and he honestly wasn’t setting the world on fire under center 

12 hours ago, CardinalBacker said:

Oceguera is the only qb that I recognize… and he honestly wasn’t setting the world on fire under center 

Ok, I guess I misunderstood what you were talking about. I thought you were saying that BC kids rarely play football because they want to play baseball. My comment was showing a number of kids who played both.

Oce was QB1 this season, Abate was QB2 and Bearden was QB on freshman team. 

Injuries happen all the time, sucks that Ethan had to deal with his problem basically all season long. He gave it all could. On a positive note, congrats to him on committing to Lamar last night to play baseball. 

Guest mrtomcat
37 minutes ago, SmashMouth said:

This is true. Lol. Rarely are you going to get them to pad up and hit somebody though. 

they pad up on madden but thats about it (gamers)

Guest mrtomcat
1 hour ago, WOSdrummer99 said:

Nope. We had an All-State tuba player that was 6-6 210 and recieved full scholarship for hoops from SMU.

6'6 and 210 ?  Please tell me his skinny tail played TE or wide out

2 hours ago, DLivingston said:

Ok, I guess I misunderstood what you were talking about. I thought you were saying that BC kids rarely play football because they want to play baseball. My comment was showing a number of kids who played both.

Oce was QB1 this season, Abate was QB2 and Bearden was QB on freshman team. 

Injuries happen all the time, sucks that Ethan had to deal with his problem basically all season long. He gave it all could. On a positive note, congrats to him on committing to Lamar last night to play baseball. 

I was focusing more on the QB position... you can't run a spread offense without a good QB and our talented kids prepare for baseball, not football.

A couple of years ago there was a stud kid at Port Neches.  Not Roschon, but the ace on the baseball team... they won a state championship and nobody knows who he was.  There are tons of kids who dream and prepare to be qb1 for the Indians, but nobody grows up wanting to be Bridge City's qb. Our kids who could be qbs are playing select ball, LL, and taking pitching lessons, not going to football camps.   That's the point that I was making.

28 minutes ago, mrtomcat said:

6'6 and 210 ?  Please tell me his skinny tail played TE or wide out

what are those positions in basketball? (*grin*)

off topic briefly.  you made me think of ole Chet Holmgren that just announced he was going into the NBA Draft.  7' tall while only weighing 190lbs. how does that combo fit into the NBA?

3 hours ago, Dirty_but_Dazzling said:

what are those positions in basketball? (*grin*)

off topic briefly.  you made me think of ole Chet Holmgren that just announced he was going into the NBA Draft.  7' tall while only weighing 190lbs. how does that combo fit into the NBA?

Durant was close to that size when he came out of UT. He's not all that far from it now and the Celtics are taking him out of his game by being physical with him. The kid needs to EAT. 

• Bobcat1 changed the title to HJ Hires Zach Bass as new AD/HC