Former SETX Stars in the NCAA Tournament

On 3/18/2022 at 1:14 PM, BADSANTA said:

I remember in 1998/99 when Lamar had Silsbee grads Holden & Arline along with HJs own Kenyon Spears. Josh Hancock from Kountze went the year before with Northwestern Lousiana. Been a while since we had any D1 kids playing in the tournament. 

That was 99/00

also Brian DeLord from HF was on that Lamar team as well.

#7 lamar beat #4 NW in the championship of southland tourney.

3 hours ago, The Observer said:

bb davis in lamar glory days 

lost second round to tourney champs magic and msu

next yr lost in sweet 16

and if they had 3 pter with oliver who knows what coukd have happen 

78, 79, 80, 81 some good lamar yrs 

Kenneth Perkins was on those 80 to 84 teams as well. Lamar beat Missouri in 1981 and in 1983 smoked Alabama 73-50 before losing by 60-58 to Villanova.

I know there was a story on Olliver. It may have been against Weber State in 1980 where he was standing about 35 feet from the basket by the bench and the opposing coach said don't guard him that far out.  Well he hit one from about 35 feet and the opposing coach was yelling "guard him, guard him". A good many of his shots would have been 3 pointers where he normally shot from. They had Olliver and Clarence Kea on those teams because the Carolinas weren't interested in them.

alvin brooks was on team too - he was so quick

Oliver amazing shot but his def needed help - i think he’s in prison in carolina area - so sad

davis/perkins big men 

all the time blends together now and i can’t remember as much as i like too 

but had the experience to get to play with/against those guys - great games 

abd they let you know how good you ain’t with their talent - lol

great players and teams 

Anthony todd came in and left. talent from area started going else where.

beat  phi slamma jamma in first round nit just one yr after they was in finals but lost to gerald wilkins (dominique brother) chattanooga next round

same yr had joe dumas at mcneese and karl malone at la tech in conference 

la tech ranked 4 in nation and victory at home against them

wish we could get local talent to stay and bring lamar back 

3 hours ago, Mr. Buddy Garrity said:

I had Mike Olliver as a substitute teacher while in Middle School, we didn't do any work in class those days, all we did was talk ball. 

i remember he coached at vincent middle school? i think that was it. i played against him there when they had fund raiser and. had staff vs K106 Mark landis and the nutt hut - i was with K106 and we went to different schools to help raise money 

5 hours ago, The Observer said:

Oliver amazing shot but his def needed help - i think he’s in prison in carolina area - so sad

davis/perkins big men 

great players and teams 

beat  phi slamma jamma in first round nit just one yr after they was in finals but lost to gerald wilkins (dominique brother) chattanooga next round

James Gulley from Newton was on those last of the good teams.

Tic Price was assistant coach at Chattanooga when we lost to them in NIT. That was an overtime game. I believe Lamar had about a 7 point lead with a minute left and gave it up before going to overtime.

41 minutes ago, snakehead26 said:

James Gulley from Newton was on those last of the good teams.

Tic Price was assistant coach at Chattanooga when we lost to them in NIT. That was an overtime game. I believe Lamar had about a 7 point lead with a minute left and gave it up before going to overtime.

James Gulley was almost unguardable on the block most nights. He and Tommy Sewell were my two favorite Cardinals back in those days. I wish I could have seen those Billy Tubbs teams, but Foster's teams were a lot of fun to watch, too. 

8 hours ago, snakehead26 said:

Kenneth Perkins was on those 80 to 84 teams as well. Lamar beat Missouri in 1981 and in 1983 smoked Alabama 73-50 before losing by 60-58 to Villanova.

I know there was a story on Olliver. It may have been against Weber State in 1980 where he was standing about 35 feet from the basket by the bench and the opposing coach said don't guard him that far out.  Well he hit one from about 35 feet and the opposing coach was yelling "guard him, guard him". A good many of his shots would have been 3 pointers where he normally shot from. They had Olliver and Clarence Kea on those teams because the Carolinas weren't interested in them.

Mike Oliver was one of the best pure shooters I ever saw 

11 minutes ago, Bulldogs92 said:

James Gulley was almost unguardable on the block most nights. He and Tommy Sewell were my two favorite Cardinals back in those days. I wish I could have seen those Billy Tubbs teams, but Foster's teams were a lot of fun to watch, too. 

I don’t think I missed a home game during the Tubbs/Foster era. Lord how far we have fallen 

6 hours ago, The Observer said:

davis/perkins big men 

great players and teams 

I remember being in the civic center the night Louisiana Tech ended our home court winning streak at 88 games I believe it was. We had the longest streak in the nation. ESPN was in the house. Karl Malone and Wille Simmons ( I think that was his last name) were just to much on the block. Great teams 

32 minutes ago, whsalum said:

I don’t think I missed a home game during the Tubbs/Foster era. Lord how far we have fallen 

It's sad. I watched every game that KFDM had on the air and there was usually a nice crowd and a huge home court advantage. There's no energy at Montagne anymore. Tubbs was a program changer. How do they find a guy like that?

37 minutes ago, Bulldogs92 said:

It's sad. I watched every game that KFDM had on the air and there was usually a nice crowd and a huge home court advantage. There's no energy at Montagne anymore. Tubbs was a program changer. How do they find a guy like that?

I think they have taken a step in the right direction with Coach Brooks. I’d like to see em go after Larry Tidwell as an AD. 

14 minutes ago, whsalum said:

I think they have taken a step in the right direction with Coach Brooks. I’d like to see em go after Larry Tidwell as an AD. 

That would be a good choice since LU needs to get back to being a legit basketball school. How long could he do it, though?