Lcm is getting turf field!!!

lcm93

47 minutes ago, mat said:

Turf will be nice but the tennis courts and restrooms will be a huge improvement. LCM currently has no tennis courts but has a growing tennis program. The stadium restrooms are very small and outdated. 

I'm surprised there hasn't been any talk about expanding the bleachers, especially on the visitor's side. 

25 minutes ago, oldschool2 said:

Several years ago when I first became a member of this site.. I argued for the necessity of schools turfing their facilities.  It was met with ridicule.

Funny how a mindset changes after a few years. 

I was just saying that to my wife last night. Everybody was bad mouthing PNG when it was the first in the area to get it. Saying it’s a bunch of spoiled rich kids and all kinds of other trash talk. Now those same people are praising their schools for getting it…..My how hypocritical some people are. Jealousy goes to praise when you are getting what YOU want.

24 minutes ago, Coach85 said:

I was just saying that to my wife last night. Everybody was bad mouthing PNG when it was the first in the area to get it. Saying it’s a bunch of spoiled rich kids and all kinds of other trash talk. Now those same people are praising their schools for getting it…..My how hypocritical some people are. Jealousy goes to praise when you are getting what YOU want.

And my argument was specifically for investment purposes.  Both financially and in your players/community along with the potential for transfers.  Recruiting without recruiting.

But as I said.. it was met with the, "what we have is good enough" attitude. 

24 minutes ago, oldschool2 said:

And my argument was specifically for investment purposes.  Both financially and in your players/community along with the potential for transfers.  Recruiting without recruiting.

But as I said.. it was met with the, "what we have is good enough" attitude. 

Bingo. Jealousy may play a small part in it, but from what I've seen the issue is mainly people with antiquated views on everything, including improvements to their school district. "We didn't have turf fields back when I played, so why do kids these days need it?" Sadly there are a lot of folks like this in SETX, and the high school athletic facilities around here mostly reflect that way of thinking.

Your "what we have is good enough" point is great, because people will say that in regard to local high school athletic facilities, then they will turn around and complain when our football teams get knocked out of the playoffs early (except for WOS and Newton usually) by schools with much better facilities. Top-notch athletic facilities certainly won't guarantee playoff success, but it definitely helps programs get going in the right direction. 

1 hour ago, BEARCPA said:

Bingo. Jealousy may play a small part in it, but from what I've seen the issue is mainly people with antiquated views on everything, including improvements to their school district. "We didn't have turf fields back when I played, so why do kids these days need it?" Sadly there are a lot of folks like this in SETX, and the high school athletic facilities around here mostly reflect that way of thinking.

Your "what we have is good enough" point is great, because people will say that in regard to local high school athletic facilities, then they will turn around and complain when our football teams get knocked out of the playoffs early (except for WOS and Newton usually) by schools with much better facilities. Top-notch athletic facilities certainly won't guarantee playoff success, but it definitely helps programs get going in the right direction. 

As I argued in the past:

It costs a lot of money to maintain a grass field (water, mowing, maintenance, paint, fertilizer, etc.).  A turf field is truly a big investment but saves money in other areas.. along with allowing all sports to use without fear of tearing up.. and in most weather conditions (wet).  As for draws; nice facilities will bring players, coaches, teachers, parents, fans, playoff games, etc.  Is that a guarantee? No.  But kids don't transfer to a school with trash facilities because of the facilities or probably any other reason.

All that aside, it's a show of faith that you care about your athletic programs and community.  As good coaching friend of mine says, "if you don't turf your fields then you're losing money somewhere".

And you're 100% correct, the mindset/mentality/culture of most of SeTx is for the most part stuck in the past.