22-4A All District

On 3/12/2022 at 3:57 PM, The Observer said:

i agree on 5 and 5 

makes it a little more prestigious to earn

yes playoff should not even be in process - it has nothing to do with district play

The way that it SHOULD be done is that there are 5 on 1st Team and 5 on 2nd Team.. and your MVP, Off MVP, Def MVP, and Newcomer come from those 10 that are all district.  That's how college and profession teams do it.. because a basketball team (that is on the floor) is 5 players.  If coaches insist on having more than 10 then there needs to be a 3rd Team All District.. or load up the honorable mentions..

All of this 9 on 1st Team and 11 on 2nd Team and co-this and co-that is literally the epitome of "everyone gets a trophy".   It's disgusting to me... just give everyone something and admit that you're scared of your parents.

1 hour ago, oldschool2 said:

The way that it SHOULD be done is that there are 5 on 1st Team and 5 on 2nd Team.. and your MVP, Off MVP, Def MVP, and Newcomer come from those 10 that are all district.  That's how college and profession teams do it.. because a basketball team (that is on the floor) is 5 players.  If coaches insist on having more than 10 then there needs to be a 3rd Team All District.. or load up the honorable mentions..

All of this 9 on 1st Team and 11 on 2nd Team and co-this and co-that is literally the epitome of "everyone gets a trophy".   It's disgusting to me... just give everyone something and admit that you're scared of your parents.

AMEN!!!!!!

28 minutes ago, bullets13 said:

I hate it when 3/4 of the starters in the league get all district.  It waters down the prestige of making the team, and also sucks for the like 6 starters who didn’t get something.

Apologies if this was answered somewhere before, but does the All-District format (number of players on 1st team, 2nd team, & honorable mention) vary between each district based on the coaches' preferences, or is it some type of UIL-wide format?

1 hour ago, BEARCPA said:

Apologies if this was answered somewhere before, but does the All-District format (number of players on 1st team, 2nd team, & honorable mention) vary between each district based on the coaches' preferences, or is it some type of UIL-wide format?

It varies. UIL has no say in all district teams.

For 22-4A, they have a policy of no less than 8 players on 1st and 2nd teams. So at minimum there will be at least 16 players who make all district.

On 3/12/2022 at 10:30 PM, Cherokee88 said:

Interesting topic, there needs to be 8 per team( maybe 10 on 1st team)  because in all reality that is what a real rotation looks like at most levels. I think 5 would be silly because nobody only plays 5 for a whole game. 

So it looks like harris and miller were the two best players, who was next? LCM/OF/WOS/BC/Vidor/& Lumberton all had good players. I saw all these guys when my Indians played them, please don't just give me the most ppg because that is not a true indicator of who was the best.

Sounds like either you or your kid needed for their to be a few more on the list to be all-district... because 8-10 per all-district team is a joke.  Just make it 20.

By the way.. in reality.. in almost every other area of the state, the elite teams actually do play 5 kids with a couple/few coming off the bench.  Don't act like rotating 5 and 5 is normal just because some SeTx teams do it.  If you think that, you should go on a field trip. 

1 minute ago, oldschool2 said:

Sounds like either you or your kid needed for their to be a few more on the list to be all-district... because 8-10 per all-district team is a joke.  Just make it 20.

By the way.. in reality.. in almost every other area of the state, the elite teams actually do play 5 kids with a couple/few coming off the bench.  Don't act like rotating 5 and 5 is normal just because some SeTx teams do it.  If you think that, you should go on a field trip. 

*there

Guest mrtomcat
2 hours ago, oldschool2 said:

can not agree more

On 3/16/2022 at 9:03 AM, oldschool2 said:

Whenever I was in school, I played for a TAPPS school, the District coaches got together and ranked the players in district 1-5 and that was first team and same for the second team. It was pretty simple and easy concept that I don’t understand why it’s not universally adopted. My junior year we had 4 out 5 of the 1st teamers. Sometimes that’s just how it is. 

8 hours ago, oldschool2 said:

Your basketball knowledge needs to be questioned, no elite team above 1A or 2A only plays  5 kids. Whoever said anything about 5 and 5? I know Beaumont United plays 8 or 10 guys, I think they would be considered elite. Now does the #8 player plays as much as #1? No, but your take on elite teams only playing 5 guys is borderline moronic. 

8 on each team is fine, superlatives plus 3 or 4 more. 

1 hour ago, Cherokee88 said:

Your basketball knowledge needs to be questioned, no elite team above 1A or 2A only plays  5 kids. Whoever said anything about 5 and 5? I know Beaumont United plays 8 or 10 guys, I think they would be considered elite. Now does the #8 player plays as much as #1? No, but your take on elite teams only playing 5 guys is borderline moronic. 

Why didn’t you highlight the rest of his sentence about the guys coming off the bench? No one here is arguing about the number of players in a given team’s rotation. Every basketball team starts five players, so it only makes sense that the all-district teams are also five players. 

That is correct, my only point is that the district has procedures in place to have 8 players on a team as stated earlier and there is nothing wrong with that because that is a true indicator of most "teams" . Now as for ties, everybody is going to have their opinion on how to settle those.... carry on. 

17 hours ago, Cherokee88 said:

Hmm.. Well, according to the stats provided on maxpreps (

This is the hidden content, please
) only 6 players for United actually played in over 24 games for the year.  I'm not talking about the games in which are blowouts where even the managers get to go in.. I'm talking about actual quality minutes that happen in important, close games.  What was the "minutes per game" for United's players?  How many kids played in the state games?  Perhaps I know a little bit about what I'm talking about.

Speaking of United.  Has anyone seen All District selections for the 5A district?  I saw on Twitter where United had all 5 starters get either a superlative or first team and a bench guy got 2nd team.  Would be interested to see how many players were on the 5A All District Team.

2 hours ago, oldschool2 said:

Hmm.. Well, according to the stats provided on maxpreps (

) only 6 players for United actually played in over 24 games for the year.  I'm not talking about the games in which are blowouts where even the managers get to go in.. I'm talking about actual quality minutes that happen in important, close games.  What was the "minutes per game" for United's players?  How many kids played in the state games?  Perhaps I know a little bit about what I'm talking about.

Based on your link it is 7 guys that played in 24, They had 9 play in 22 or more. Either way you are splitting hairs, again in most cases a good or elite team is more likely to play 8 than 5. As far as mpg Im not sure anyone besides the staff would have that information. 

46 minutes ago, Cherokee88 said:

Based on your link it is 7 guys that played in 24, They had 9 play in 22 or more. Either way you are splitting hairs, again in most cases a good or elite team is more likely to play 8 than 5. As far as mpg Im not sure anyone besides the staff would have that information. 

No.. you need to recount.  SIX players played in at least 30 games (over 24).  SIX.  SIX players played exclusively in at least 15 of the games.  SIX.  My guess is that those 15 games are the ones that were relatively close.  

And it's not splitting hairs.. I said that elite teams did in fact play that few kids.  You said my "basketball knowledge needs to be questioned".  And that my "take on elite teams only playing 5 guys is borderline moronic".  Those were your words.. even though I didn't say they play only 5 players. No matter.

Anyone can read what was posted above.

My last post on this topic: 

box score of Silsbee & faith family game: Silsbee played 7 guys significant  minutes & an 8th guy 5 minutes

: United Played 8 guys in the championship with 6 getting significant time. 

So in closing 2 elite teams from our area played between 6 & 8 guys at the state tournament, so I would say that having 8 on an all-district team would be fine.

5 hours ago, Cherokee88 said:

My last post on this topic: 

box score of Silsbee & faith family game: Silsbee played 7 guys significant  minutes & an 8th guy 5 minutes

: United Played 8 guys in the championship with 6 getting significant time. 

So in closing 2 elite teams from our area played between 6 & 8 guys at the state tournament, so I would say that having 8 on an all-district team would be fine.

Dont know why but that statline it pulls up,for silsbee, is a player short it is missing a keynstarter that played significantly in Jayron Williams.