22-4A All District

Interesting topic, there needs to be 8 per team( maybe 10 on 1st team)  because in all reality that is what a real rotation looks like at most levels. I think 5 would be silly because nobody only plays 5 for a whole game. 

So it looks like harris and miller were the two best players, who was next? LCM/OF/WOS/BC/Vidor/& Lumberton all had good players. I saw all these guys when my Indians played them, please don't just give me the most ppg because that is not a true indicator of who was the best.

7 minutes ago, Cherokee88 said:

Interesting topic, there needs to be 8 per team( maybe 10 on 1st team)  because in all reality that is what a real rotation looks like at most levels. I think 5 would be silly because nobody only plays 5 for a whole game

So it looks like harris and miller were the two best players, who was next? LCM/OF/WOS/BC/Vidor/& Lumberton all had good players. I saw all these guys when my Indians played them, please don't just give me the most ppg because that is not a true indicator of who was the best.

That's where the 2nd team all district comes in.

9 minutes ago, Cherokee88 said:

Interesting topic, there needs to be 8 per team( maybe 10 on 1st team)  because in all reality that is what a real rotation looks like at most levels. I think 5 would be silly because nobody only plays 5 for a whole game. 

on end i would say vidor/lum/bc

1 hour ago, TxHoops said:

They were.  Just saying top to bottom talent wise, OF was at best the 4th most talented team. 

The kid who was nice at guard last year for OF, did he play this year? He could get on a heater and take over the game, I liked his potential. Don’t remember his name but he put it on Vidor last season and I thought he was a returning player for the Bobcats.

32 minutes ago, Cherokee88 said:

After Harris & Miller based on what I saw when they played PNG I would say:

Wrinkle of /Elliot lcm / 10 from lumberton /Wardlow WOS/ Ragusa of/ Alantheon LCM. 

Disclaimer: I did not see Silsbee play live this year. 

10 lumberton is Harmon

Elliot only jr, harris, miller only soph

49 minutes ago, Boneyard Boys said:

The kid who was nice at guard last year for OF, did he play this year? He could get on a heater and take over the game, I liked his potential. Don’t remember his name but he put it on Vidor last season and I thought he was a returning player for the Bobcats.

is the Gardenhire kid - i think 24

is he a senior - he’s a good ball player on Vidor

1 hour ago, Boneyard Boys said:

They had two return this year that were also their starters last year.  One was diagnosed with a rare disease and missed the first half of district but was able to return

the second half and made first team. He has another year. 

5 minutes ago, Boneyard Boys said:

Yes lean times for Vidor after this unless some players step up, we have a big named Root who might show promise but he is young.

well if he can have the right leadership around him - and put in work ethic - you 100% can be competitive - i absolutely love when a young man dedicated himself and creates opportunity from hard work

i stressed to my son constantly 

1) develop your body:  work out grow muscles - run increase your endurance

2) institutionalize fundamentals of the game: practice until fundamentals are like breathing - you just do the simple things in game instinctively 

3) develop mind: 

study film and the game - understand ppl are creatures of habit learn those tendencies - educate self in class room - and be a persons of humility/respect/teamwork/integrity/compliance/value creation

4) talent - all you can do here is master first 3 because you have 100% control there and use all that GOD birth you 

There is more to some of these than just points per game, rebounds per game, and blocks per game. For defensive player of the year: who gave the most fits to the other teams best player. Might not have gotten any steals, but gave them the most issues and made them work for everything. Doesn’t show up in a box score. For offensive player of the year: who dictated what they did on offense. Who handled the load, scored, and distributed the ball. Assists count as points scored too. MVP: who on the best team shouldered the burden of winning.

I don’t see anything wrong with who won any of these awards. Were there other kids deserving as well? For sure. This was a strong district.  The tri coach of the year I think is a joke. Choose someone and move on. BTW, I do think McDonald did more with less and was the most deserving. Adults should not need the same accolades as kids. I agree that first team and second team should have 5 each. Do kids get left off? Yes, but it will mean more. 10 kids for first team is over the top. Just my two cents that are worth nothing. BTW, football all district is way worse. 

15 hours ago, Boneyard Boys said:

You guys care way too much about all district teams, what does all district even mean besides making a few kids feel good about their season and contribution. You don’t get a scholarship, just your name in the paper. We know the really good players make all area teams or all state. By your criteria Vidor would not have a player get recognition in the past decade. Is that fair, probably not some of those kids could play and carried a heavy burden on overmatched teams. If we’re being honest about taking the best basketball players you could probably take the Silsbee starting 5 and sprinkle in a few from Orange County just about every season.

Many years ago the all district teams were chosen to reward hard work, talent and success on the court. These days not so much. Looking at these picks there are some great players and coaches but the awards should be for the best of the bunch. In a 7 team district 35 players would be starters. This list has 26 players that’s 5 complete teams plus 1. I may be old fashioned but that’s a little watered down. The coach looks like a no brainer. The guy who took a team of sophomores and went undefeated would be my choice. 

18 minutes ago, whsalum said:

Many years ago the all district teams were chosen to reward hard work, talent and success on the court. These days not so much. Looking at these picks there are some great players and coaches but the awards should be for the best of the bunch. In a 7 team district 35 players would be starters. This list has 26 players that’s 5 complete teams plus 1. I may be old fashioned but that’s a little watered down. The coach looks like a no brainer. The guy who took a team of sophomores and went undefeated would be my choice. 

Those sophs are cats who can flat out go, Silsbee has tons of talent 

MVP should be the best player on the best team and that's Drelon Miller, but him and Harris are close enough to split.  The actual most valuable player to his team is Payton Wrinkle at Orangefield.  I bet he led them in every category and was best defender and decision maker.  

It is watered down and I want to say in the old days you could get a superlative and be on 1st or 2nd team.  I think these lists would turn out different if they were done by ranking the best players on down.

2 minutes ago, Charles in Charge said:

MVP should be the best player on the best team and that's Drelon Miller, but him and Harris are close enough to split.  The actual most valuable player to his team is Payton Wrinkle at Orangefield.  I bet he led them in every category and was best defender and decision maker.  

It is watered down and I want to say in the old days you could get a superlative and be on 1st or 2nd team.  I think these lists would turn out different if they were done by ranking the best players on down.

Miller and Harris are so special, flip a coin on both I’m sure they have plenty more MVPS under their belts