Tarkington Open

cat001

All depends on who the AD is and what his priorities are.

Need to hire a football coach that is in it for the long haul, and willing to put in the work to develop a program and culture. Most people want instant success,  that is not going to happen in Tarkington. 

They had the right guy and ran him out of town. Then Bass came in and wasn't willing to stay the course and build a program.

Definitely takes a special person in places like Tarkington. 

I think if they want a quality guy then they can't split the AD/HC there. Just to be honest, not many people will want the job if it is just HFC. As stated, it takes a special guy who will develop the program but they won't stick around long enough to let it happen or they get ran out of town before it happens because the community wants to win immediately. 

Unfortunately, they have not done much winning ever outside of under Carpenter. 

The community needs to stop running out coaches and let them build quality young men and woman. A successful program is not always determined by the football record. Tarkington has been good at baseball, basketball, and track and field (mainly field lol) very recently. 

Get a guy that wants to be there and is passionate about it. Don't run them off because of the football record, some schools just aren't football schools.

23 minutes ago, SherriffReesie said:

I think if they want a quality guy then they can't split the AD/HC there. Just to be honest, not many people will want the job if it is just HFC. As stated, it takes a special guy who will develop the program but they won't stick around long enough to let it happen or they get ran out of town before it happens because the community wants to win immediately. 

Unfortunately, they have not done much winning ever outside of under Carpenter. 

The community needs to stop running out coaches and let them build quality young men and woman. A successful program is not always determined by the football record. Tarkington has been good at baseball, basketball, and track and field (mainly field lol) very recently. 

Get a guy that wants to be there and is passionate about it. Don't run them off because of the football record, some schools just aren't football schools.

Many, many true statements here,  but 5-5 is possible just about anywhere with proper scheduling,  a great culture, hard work and good coaching. And then on the rare occasion that you have a really good class or two then 7-3 or 8-2 is always a possibility. 

In reality Tarkington is either stepping stone job or a trying to ride out a few more well paid years. The only way they have a chance at a consistently competitive team is to get someone that is either from the area and wants to stay or someone that is looking for a hometown to raise their kids in. It’s hard to imagine an up and coming coach would stay there long term. It’s also hard to imagine a coach that is a quality veteran coach that would stay especially when they aren’t getting AD pay. If they kept it one role and looked for the kind of coach that is rooted to the area or one that is willing to call it home they could sniff 500 consistently and a shot at the playoffs occasionally. For Tarkington that would be a successful hire.

On 3/3/2022 at 1:30 PM, PlayActionPass said:

All depends on who the AD is and what his priorities are.

Need to hire a football coach that is in it for the long haul, and willing to put in the work to develop a program and culture. Most people want instant success,  that is not going to happen in Tarkington. 

They had the right guy and ran him out of town. Then Bass came in and wasn't willing to stay the course and build a program.

Definitely takes a special person in places like Tarkington. 

edited for content.

They should make the Basketball coach or the Baseball coach the AD. Both win and would give the athletic program some consistency. The football talent/community/facilities are not enough to keep any FB coach around for long. I got a name for yall. Mark Newton. He is a very good coach, lives in community, is from Tarkington, and his kids go to school there. 

The last 4 head coaches that were there left to just become coordinators at a different school. Carpenter just last year became a HC again at Klein Oak. 

I can name 2 coaches that live in Tarkington and have kids that go there that would be a good fit for the job, but I don't think the school board will go for it. 

Plus if you separate the AD/HC then you won't get many people who will want to deal with it either. I don't expect very many applicants for this job if it does get split. 

Hopefully they learned their lesson by hiring a south Texas guy and him only lasting one semester. Need a guy that is from SETX or Houston area that know what to expect with the job and willing to take on the challenge and ride it out for the long haul, community willing. 

Baseball coaches son is a senior this year so I am sure he is not far from retirement. 

Guest mrtomcat
22 hours ago, 89Falcon said:

Agreed. They are very isolated which leads to genetic dysfunction (similar to Hardin, HD and WH). They have served a valuable role in providing "homecoming compliance" for opposing teams.  

i dont know who you are but your post wins the entire year !!!!!!!!! and i am from warren and totally feel this to my core.  as much as I give a hard time to HD, we could not talk crap about them until after the 2000's ( last 20 year ) because as we all know, they did beat the dogpiss out of a lot of good setx programs for a many of years prior.

On 3/4/2022 at 10:44 AM, Go-rilla said:

They should make the Basketball coach or the Baseball coach the AD. Both win and would give the athletic program some consistency. The football talent/community/facilities are not enough to keep any FB coach around for long. I got a name for yall. Mark Newton. He is a very good coach, lives in community, is from Tarkington, and his kids go to school there. 

I've been waiting on somebody to say it. This is the guy if you want someone who wants to be in Tarkington. Word to the wise though: if you do this LEAVE HIM ALONE!!!

The community is as much at fault for the program's poor state as any coach. You have to leave a guy alone and let him work. Let him bring a class from 7th grade through Senior year before you fire him. Tarkington is going to lose either way, you might as well let a guy try to build a program. 

36 minutes ago, Mr. Buddy Garrity said:

Nice area, not enough talent though. 

I once stopped in Tarkington. Made that drive down 105 and got stuck behind truck transporting a trailer house. Can’t make that up. A huge gas station suddenly appears like mirage in the Trinity River swamplands. I needed some cold beer in a bad way. They didn’t have any. Dry area apparently. Got back on the road only to be stuck in traffic because of a wreck on the Cleveland side of Tarkington. 

Can a team of non athletes be good in football and not be whiskey or beer drinkers. I think not. Let’s just have a reoccurring post every two years, “Tarkington Open.”

Just now, Pot Stirrer said:

I once stopped in Tarkington. Made that drive down 105 and got stuck behind truck transporting a trailer house. Can’t make that up. A huge gas station suddenly appears like mirage in the Trinity River swamplands. I needed some cold beer in a bad way. They didn’t have any. Dry area apparently. Got back on the road only to be stuck in traffic because of a wreck on the Cleveland side of Tarkington. 

Can a team of non athletes be good in football and not be whiskey or beer drinkers. I think not. Let’s just have a reoccurring post every two years, “Tarkington Open.”

Lol 

Guest mrtomcat
1 hour ago, Pot Stirrer said:

help me understand something.  you were in tarkington and the gas station there didnt have beer?  and so you drove 3 more miles to the 321/105 stop light and there's another gas station there that serves beer.  i know this because thats my route for the last 12 years to work.  i wonder why both places were out of beer.  they usually keep a great amount of stock

Guest mrtomcat
2 hours ago, SherriffReesie said:

Tarkington gas stations don't sell beer. Once you leave Cleveland and cross the Tarkington Bayou you won't see beer until after the Trinity River or almost to Dayton. Never made since to me. Because they definitely need it out there. 

i was confused.  i thought he meant the new gas station right across from the 105 Loop where the new subdiv is going in ?  thats considered cleveland or tarkington?  i guess its cleveland since its so close to the ISD.

Not sure who the new superintendent is but they had a meeting today to name the lone finalists. Sure the movement on the AD/HC (if they don’t split them) will start soon. Wonder what schedule he inherits. Whoever picked the non district schedule probably wasn’t super motivated to put some winnable games on there.