#1 Argyle vs #2 HJ, 4A State Semifinals/ HJ ADVANCES TO STATE CHAMPIONSHIP!!!!!

drewlsu

18 minutes ago, bullets13 said:

unfortunate that this game will be in the Semis.  it's the finals everyone deserved.  I hope whoever comes out on top doesn't have a letdown in the finals.  

I think if it's HJ vs Brownsboro for the Ship it'll be better than the Semifinal game. 

5 minutes ago, Mr. Buddy Garrity said:

I think if it's HJ vs Brownsboro for the Ship it'll be better than the Semifinal game. 

hopefully so.  Argyle is good, but they're young.  HJ has all the experience you can ask for, and has played a brutal schedule.  Always kinda nice to get to state and have already played 7-8 teams better on your schedule than anyone there.  

On 2/27/2022 at 7:56 AM, bigboss667 said:

I think it’s dumb that 1 and 2 play in the semifinals!!! 

while in the rankings have them one and two the method the UIL uses as they do in all boys and girls sports goes by team win/loss records for seedings. so by the fact HJ has the most "L" of the four teams is how they get Argyle.  yes, from entertainment value it sucks, but if a team is truly the best team when it's all said and done beats whoever they play and the champ will be holding the 🏆 

Good luck lady HJ players!  Great season and I hope it ends with State Championship.

1 hour ago, AggiesAreWe said:

The seeding at the state tournament is they take the top two teams win percentage and place them opposite of bracket. Their opponents is done by coin flip.

It was a mere coin flip that has HJ playing Argyle after the seeding of win percentage.

well apparently  by luck or for whatever reason,  it "just so happens" with or without coin flip that team with most losses becomes 4th vs 1 seed (team with best record)

team with 2nd best record is 2 seed playing against 3rd best record (3 seed). a coin flip until I read that also over at the other site I never heard of. I just go by the simple method of the teams records they use.

the four years in a row Jasper Lady Dawgs went to state tourney and the 3 times(that are relevant) Jasper has went baseball State tourney 07,10 and 2018 the team records decided seeding. in 07 when Jasper won baseball title we were 4 seed because we had most losses, so on and so forth. in 2018 it's how we got to play that monster of a team Argyle had.  

• Bobcat1 changed the title to #1 Argyle vs #2 HJ, 4A State Semifinals/Updates
9 hours ago, Dirty_but_Dazzling said:

well apparently  by luck or for whatever reason,  it "just so happens" with or without coin flip that team with most losses becomes 4th vs 1 seed (team with best record)

team with 2nd best record is 2 seed playing against 3rd best record (3 seed). a coin flip until I read that also over at the other site I never heard of. I just go by the simple method of the teams records they use.

the four years in a row Jasper Lady Dawgs went to state tourney and the 3 times(that are relevant) Jasper has went baseball State tourney 07,10 and 2018 the team records decided seeding. in 07 when Jasper won baseball title we were 4 seed because we had most losses, so on and so forth. in 2018 it's how we got to play that monster of a team Argyle had.  

I'm just telling you how the UIL does the seeding. If it happens to turn out where the records actually reflect the seeding, then so be it.

I have seen it many times where two teams have the same win percentage (or records) and those two be the top two seeds but one plays a team in semifinals that has just 3 losses while the other played a team with 11 losses. Also, I have seen it where an undefeated team played a team with just 3 losses in semi while the other top seed who had 2 losses played a team with 8 losses. Just luck of the flip.

It's how UIL does the state tourney in basketball and baseball. Been that way for years.

Guest mrtomcat
On 2/28/2022 at 9:17 AM, bullets13 said:

hopefully so.  Argyle is good, but they're young.  HJ has all the experience you can ask for, and has played a brutal schedule.  Always kinda nice to get to state and have already played 7-8 teams better on your schedule than anyone there.  

does argyle have any d1 players, or mcdonalds all americans?  i dont guess it matters because canyon didnt either and was successful last year.  how does a team like canyon or an argyle knock off a team as loaded as HJ ?  is it coaching, or just 5 girls who know their role better than the opponent (with more talent) ?  HJ is going to be good for a long time from what i hear about that program !!!

37 minutes ago, AggiesAreWe said:

I'm just telling you how the UIL does the seeding. If it happens to turn out where the records actually reflect the seeding, then so be it.

I have seen it many times where two teams have the same win percentage (or records) and those two be the top two seeds but one plays a team in semifinals that has just 3 losses while the other played a team with 11 losses. Also, I have seen it where an undefeated team played a team with just 3 losses in semi while the other top seed who had 2 losses played a team with 8 losses. Just luck of the flip.

It's how UIL does the state tourney in basketball and baseball. Been that way for years.

OK. well said.

34 minutes ago, mrtomcat said:

does argyle have any d1 players, or mcdonalds all americans?  i dont guess it matters because canyon didnt either and was successful last year.  how does a team like canyon or an argyle knock off a team as loaded as HJ ?  is it coaching, or just 5 girls who know their role better than the opponent (with more talent) ?  HJ is going to be good for a long time from what i hear about that program !!!

great question/post.

I can't answer your question.

instead, I am truly amazed by the success by the girls and boys consistently in all sports at Argyle! Academically as well. I maybe wrong but I think it's like 9 or 10 Lonestar  Cup in a row they have won.

Guest mrtomcat
8 minutes ago, Dirty_but_Dazzling said:

great question/post.

I can't answer your question.

instead, I am truly amazed by the success by the girls and boys consistently in all sports at Argyle! Academically as well. I maybe wrong but I think it's like 9 or 10 Lonestar  Cup in a row they have won.

must be the money....its truly the only answer i can come up with

2 hours ago, mrtomcat said:

They have a D1 player this year who is a senior. They are young this year and their best talent is underclassmen.  They are going to be loaded as usual for the foreseeable future, even with the move up to 5A.

How do they maintain it? Lots of factors….tradition, parental involvement, coaching, and they have an excellent youth program. I also believe they have an actual athletic period in 6th grade unlike most schools. So when those girls get to junior high basketball they are ready to roll.

2 hours ago, mrtomcat said:

it's great coaching and great fundamental basketball.  What makes HJ so unstoppable is their relentless press, and having 4-5 girls on the court at all time that can bring the ball up on the break.  Teams like Argyle and Canyon (and maybe 1-2 more 4A schools statewide) have multiple girls that can handle the pressure and break the press.  When you can break the press consistently you end up with easy baskets consistently.  Both of those teams also have a well-run, slow and methodical offense that will shorten games.  If you let HJ run all game they'll wear you down and win.  If you cut the amount of possessions their all-American gets in half you greatly increase your chance of winning.  

• Bobcat1 changed the title to #1 Argyle vs #2 HJ, 4A State Semifinals/ HJ ADVANCES TO STATE CHAMPIONSHIP!!!!!