Dick Butkus

22 hours ago, LumRaiderFan said:

He was the man…not sure he would be legal today, lol.

Teams had to change some of their favorite plays because of Butkus. When asked why he hit so hard, Butkus said he didn’t want the player to have to get up and look to see what numbered jersey tackled him……he wanted him to already know it was Butkus. Butkus would also call QB cadence and was known for spitting on the football while the center was about to snap it. He was one-of-a kind.

This is from memory before watching this video.

On 2/27/2022 at 11:43 AM, baddog said:

Teams had to change some of their favorite plays because of Butkus. When asked why he hit so hard, Butkus said he didn’t want the player to have to get up and look to see what numbered jersey tackled him……he wanted him to already know it was Butkus. Butkus would also call QB cadence and was known for spitting on the football while the center was about to snap it. He was one-of-a kind.

This is from memory before watching this video.

My dad had a picture when I was growing up of an offensive lineman who had his hand in Butkus' facemask, and Butkus was biting his fingers.  Classic Butkus.  They just don't make em like those guys anymore.  

33 minutes ago, TxHoops said:

My dad had a picture when I was growing up of an offensive lineman who had his hand in Butkus' facemask, and Butkus was biting his fingers.  Classic Butkus.  They just don't make em like those guys anymore.  

Butkus and lots of other players played hurt back then. You know, back before football was wussified.  No such thing as concussion protocol back then. Ronnie Lott would have never made a name for himself. Singletary was great but even he was no Butkus. 

10 minutes ago, baddog said:

Butkus and lots of other players played hurt back then. You know, back before football was wussified.  No such thing as concussion protocol back then. Ronnie Lott would have never made a name for himself. Singletary was great but even he was no Butkus. 

Butkus, Ray Nitschke, Lee Roy Jordan, Sam Huff.  Jack Lambert came a little later but was cut from the same cloth.  Those guys were all a different breed.  Tough as nails.  Butkus was the cream of that crop though. 

Many playing back then had other jobs.

Playing hurt meant you got paid. 

Winning meant more then

you can be on a 1-13 team now and still make millions.

There are many great athletes in the game now but it’s mostly athletic celebrities  entertaining just for the dollar bill. 

my grandfather played when there was no face mask. Played on the oline…..many broken noses to the point it was crooked the rest of his life. You were either tough or you got cut back then.

9 minutes ago, 5GallonBucket said:

Many playing back then had other jobs.

Playing hurt meant you got paid. 

Winning meant more then

you can be on a 1-13 team now and still make millions.

There are many great athletes in the game now but it’s mostly athletic celebrities  entertaining just for the dollar bill. 

my grandfather played when there was no face mask. Played on the oline…..many broken noses to the point it was crooked the rest of his life. You were either tough or you got cut back then.

Most did.  My dad went to HS in Lubbock with another of the tough old guys, EJ Holub.  He got my dad a job with a finance company out of KC (EJ was an all pro center and lb for the chiefs - he may have been the last two way all pro).  

Anyway, two other Chiefs who worked for Interstate (the company) during the off-season were Len Dawson and Jan Stenerud.  When your star QB is “humping it” in the off-season, you know most all of them were.  

8 minutes ago, TxHoops said:

Most did.  My dad went to HS in Lubbock with another of the tough old guys, EJ Holub.  He got my dad a job with a finance company out of KC (EJ was an all pro center and lb for the chiefs - he may have been the last two way all pro).  

Anyway, two other Chiefs who worked for Interstate (the company) during the off-season were Len Dawson and Jan Stenerud.  When your star QB is “humping it” in the off-season, you know most all of them were.  

Brings back some memories.  Jan Stenerud, he was the guy using that weird soccer style of kicking that was sure to phase out. 🙂

24 minutes ago, LumRaiderFan said:

Brings back some memories.  Jan Stenerud, he was the guy using that weird soccer style of kicking that was sure to phase out. 🙂

My dad really liked him and loved to tell a story that was I’m sure a “stock” one for Jan.  He would tell people about a game where he was so bad he couldn’t make anything.   He said he was so mad after his 4th missed FG, he went to kick the bench and was lucky he didn’t break his foot.  Because, as he would tell it, he was so bad that day he missed that too.  😂