Hardin-Jefferson 37 West Orange-Stark 53/FINAL

• AggiesAreWe changed the title to Hardin-Jefferson 37 West Orange-Stark 53/FINAL
1 hour ago, TxHoops said:

I hope you’re right.  It’s the inconsistency for me.  The Stangs have trouble even stringing together two good games.  But really hope they are turning the corner.  

all about what the other team does, if wos gets pressed they are fine if the other team wants to make it a track meet , wos struggles when they have to play a HC game and have to run an offense. 

10 minutes ago, bigboss667 said:

all about what the other team does, if wos gets pressed they are fine if the other team wants to make it a track meet , wos struggles when they have to play a HC game and have to run an offense. 

I beg to differ.

Against teams like Silsbee and Yates, WO-S best chance at winning is slowing the game down to a half court game. That was evident when they played Silsbee the first time when Silsbee won 61-58. They controlled the tempo. Not so much the second time when Silsbee won 84-49. Tigers set the tempo in that one.

WO-S cannot win a "track meet" game against Yates.

1 hour ago, AggiesAreWe said:

I beg to differ.

Against teams like Silsbee and Yates, WO-S best chance at winning is slowing the game down to a half court game. That was evident when they played Silsbee the first time when Silsbee won 61-58. They controlled the tempo. Not so much the second time when Silsbee won 84-49. Tigers set the tempo in that one.

WO-S cannot win a "track meet" game against Yates.

Well let me take that back I meant teams that press like yates and Silsbee wos can handle it and usually can take care of the ball and won’t turn it over to much, that’s why they played Silsbee so close the first time, I don’t think yates press will hurt wos that much because they have the guards /athletes to handle it, HC game for wos is suspect that’s why lcm, OF, Vidor, gave them trouble because they didn’t press WOS and give them easy looks. 

15 minutes ago, bigboss667 said:

Well let me take that back I meant teams that press like yates and Silsbee wos can handle it and usually can take care of the ball and won’t turn it over to much, that’s why they played Silsbee so close the first time, I don’t think yates press will hurt wos that much because they have the guards /athletes to handle it, HC game for wos is suspect that’s why lcm, OF, Vidor, gave them trouble because they didn’t press WOS and give them easy looks. 

WO-S slowed the game down last night against HJ and played great defense and forced a halfcourt game on HJ. Had they chose to get up tempo with HJ, the result most likely would have been different.

When I watched the 2nd game with Silsbee, WO-S did not handle the pressure very well and turned it over quite a bit.

IMO, Mustangs are better off playing halfcourt against Yates.

I agree with @AggiesAreWe WOS controlled the tempo but defensively and offensively which surprised me.  The biggest surprise was HJ's inability to do anything on offense, 37 points I would not have guessed that from when they played Nederland this year.  It seemed like only 2 players from HJ could handle the pressure.  #23 from WOS is one of the best players I have seen offensively this year.

1 hour ago, AggiesAreWe said:

WO-S slowed the game down last night against HJ and played great defense and forced a halfcourt game on HJ. Had they chose to get up tempo with HJ, the result most likely would have been different.

When I watched the 2nd game with Silsbee, WO-S did not handle the pressure very well and turned it over quite a bit.

IMO, Mustangs are better off playing halfcourt against Yates.

Yes I agree with that, what I’m saying is wos can handle yates press and play a hc game with them also they can handle the press and get some easy looks/baskets because yates won’t play great defense, what I’m saying is of,lcm didn’t press and didn’t give up easy looks, they made them have to run an actual hc offense  and took gaps away and made them jump shooters, HJ will give u easy baskets doesn’t matter if it’s hc pressue or full, Silsbee, HJ, yates their defense is their offense. 

4 minutes ago, catfever said:

If the other big doesn't play for WOS against Yates, there is little chance that West Orange can beat them.  Not sure why he didn't play last night.

I agree that he could help only if he can keep it together.

The win last night may have something to do with him not being there, if you know what I mean.

1 minute ago, TxStBobcatDad said:

Honestly I’m surprised he lasted this long. He did the same stuff last year. It seems like every other game it’s something 

I was a little embarrassed for him at the second Silsbee game.  It was that bad.  Who knows what goes on in a kid's mind, it's a mysterious and complicated place.  But the coach has to give him a chance.  He really is a good athlete with good height.  He can be a real presence inside.  But the coach had to sit him down.  

1 hour ago, JimThorpe said:

I was a little embarrassed for him at the second Silsbee game.  It was that bad.  Who knows what goes on in a kid's mind, it's a mysterious and complicated place.  But the coach has to give him a chance.  He really is a good athlete with good height.  He can be a real presence inside.  But the coach had to sit him down.  

You gotta have discipline in your program. The difference in the football program and the basketball 

2 hours ago, Tigers94 said:

WOS should do what Silsbee does and make long full court passes to beat Yates press. Toss the ball over the top of that mess.

That's often the best way but only when the opportunity presents itself.  Never throw the ball away to Yates.  It would be better to just throw it out of bounds or get tied up or even get called for time.  Teams don't often get breakaway layups off inbounds plays.  They frequently get them off stolen passes.

4th place Mickey Leland held down the score in their last meeting with Yates and almost won.  It was 56 to 52.  I think WOS can dictate a lower scoring game and they should do it.   That's their best path forward so they can play the Tigers in the quarterfinal at the Montagne.

Fresh off WOS Facebook page

The WOS Boys Basketball Area Round game vs. Houston Yates will be played on Thursday, February 24th at 7:00pm at East Chambers High School. 

All tickets have to be purchased the evening of the game at the gate. All ticket prices are $5.

#wosmustangs #wosmustangbasketball