Lumberton has gone VIRAL

I was finally able to see the video after my grandson showed me yesterday.  I have not been a big fan of Coach Mitchell but after seeing this I have lost all respect for him as a coach.  I can't believe that he is allowed to run a basketball program with gimmicks like this.  I have zero issues with four corners or slowing the pace down, but this is a mockery of the game.  

The time he spent working on this he should have spent working on other weaknesses that his team has.  Coaches like this usually do not have an identity.  A identity is full court man, zone defenses or whatever they do that is great.  Instead they constantly change what they do based off their opponent.  Get an identity and become great at what you do with your personal instead of changing all the time for your opponents.  If you coach like that then you're running a scout team instead of a Varsity level basketball team.

So let me get this straight, I saw the game and Lumberton did this for less than 3 mins what is so bad about that??? It is thinking outside the box and putting Silsbee in a situation they have never seen before and the players and coaches on the Silsbee side were freaking out because it confused them.  Then they went 5 out and stalled and passed and cut the rest of the first qtr and they were down 12-8 if I remember after the 1st qtr. Then in the 2nd qtr. went 5 out and passing and cutting and being patient and they were down 25-18 at half. I think a coach should put his team in the best situation to win a game especially against Silsbee who is a great team, I think Coach Mitchell did something out of the ordinary that 95 percent of the coaches/teams have never seen…Everyone is acting like Lumberton did this the whole game, when they didn’t even do it for more than 3 mins. 

What did Coach Mitchell do that was so bad? His players were playing within the rules of the game. Are there people on here that are jealous they didn't think of the strategy first? Any good coach, which Coach Mitchell is an excellent coach is going to do what gives their team the best chance to be successful. So, why is everyone faulting him for doing what he felt would give his team a chance to win the game?  

In the early 2000's Huntington boys and Woodville boys played to a 5-3 final, because Woodville sat in a zone and Huntington held the ball waiting for them to come out and play man.  I wonder if people would of blasted the Woodville coach for sitting in a zone if this site had existed back then? He did what he thought would give his team a chance to win. The next time they played that season Huntington won by double digits.

What Coach Mitchell was doing has the same concept as what Woodville did many years ago. If you don't like the strategies he uses then go get a teaching and coaching job and lets see what you do strategy wise when you play a team like Silsbee.

I give many kudos to Coach Mitchell for his strategy against Silsbee and what he has accomplished so far at Lumberton in his time there. His teams will continue to to be competitive and give people fits.

12 minutes ago, Broncos2447 said:

How is standing on the sideline going to get you in a situation to win?

They were stalling, people stall all the time in 4 corners look, boutte will stall all day long if he could, this was a different stalling technique that people aren’t use to seeing. I don’t understand all the complaints. 

9 minutes ago, Broncos2447 said:

How is standing on the sideline going to get you in a situation to win?

There was a coach in another state that did what Mitchell did several years ago, that coach got fired the next day. 🤷🏾‍♂️ 

Not saying he should be fired, but I bet he doesn't call for it again.  

Pretty sure the higher-ups of Lumberton ISD didn't want the kind of attention this has brought them in other areas of media (not talking about on here). 

Good luck to them going forward, too good of a team to pull a stunt like that. 

19 hours ago, Who That said:

This is the most inbarasing thing I've ever seen in a High School Basketball game.!

Wow what a "First World" problem to have! Lumberton basketball style-of-play has become an international crisis, I am sure NATO and the UN are in emergency session... how, OH HOW will humanity go on!   

TheDream34 forcing a team into a game of chase is a strategy as well. Yes it can be an aggravating one for the team chasing, but it's a strategy none the less and within the rules. If people don't like it then maybe they should avoid high school basketball games. Well at least ones where a team is trying to give themselves a chance to compete against a stronger opponent.

And my question for the haters, would you be mad if your team used the same strategy or would you talk your coach up like he is a genius?

4 minutes ago, Mr. Buddy Garrity said:

There was a coach in another state that did what Mitchell did several years ago, that coach got fired the next day. 🤷🏾‍♂️ 

Not saying he should be fired, but I bet he doesn't call for it again.  

Pretty sure the higher-ups of Lumberton ISD didn't want the kind of attention this has brought them in other areas of media (not talking about on here). 

Good luck to them going forward, too good of a team to pull a stunt like that. 

It’s called stalling it’s a strategy 

3 minutes ago, AFanInTheStands said:

What did Coach Mitchell do that was so bad? His players were playing within the rules of the game. Are there people on here that are jealous they didn't think of the strategy first? Any good coach, which Coach Mitchell is an excellent coach is going to do what gives their team the best chance to be successful. So, why is everyone faulting him for doing what he felt would give his team a chance to win the game?  

In the early 2000's Huntington boys and Woodville boys played to a 5-3 final, because Woodville sat in a zone and Huntington held the ball waiting for them to come out and play man.  I wonder if people would of blasted the Woodville coach for sitting in a zone if this site had existed back then? He did what he thought would give his team a chance to win. The next time they played that season Huntington won by double digits.

What Coach Mitchell was doing has the same concept as what Woodville did many years ago. If you don't like the strategies he uses then go get a teaching and coaching job and lets see what you do strategy wise when you play a team like Silsbee.

I give many kudos to Coach Mitchell for his strategy against Silsbee and what he has accomplished so far at Lumberton in his time there. His teams will continue to to be competitive and give people fits.

You better believe this site would have blistered the Woodville coach and rightfully so. The Huntington team was comprised of Sophomores that were not in the same class as Woodville. Huntington spread the floor and held the ball Woodville chose not to come out and force the action. Big Mistake but completely different strategy. 

Just now, bigboss667 said:

It’s called stalling it’s a strategy 

Trust me I know what it is, what that chicken little stuff was with 4 players surrounding their teammate wasn't what I would call stalling or a good strategy.

I've said my piece, have a good day. 

2 minutes ago, whsalum said:

You better believe this site would have blistered the Woodville coach and rightfully so. The Huntington team was comprised of Sophomores that were not in the same class as Woodville. Huntington spread the floor and held the ball Woodville chose not to come out and force the action. Big Mistake but completely different strategy. 

How is it a different strategy...Huntington smoked them the 2nd round of district that year when Woodville did decide to force the action. So, I think the Woodville coach knew what was up and he decided to give his guys a chance to win in that first game.

1 minute ago, AFanInTheStands said:

How is it a different strategy...Huntington smoked them the 2nd round of district that year when Woodville did decide to force the action. So, I think the Woodville coach knew what was up and he decided to give his guys a chance to win in that first game.

I think you need to research this game a little further. 

16 minutes ago, AFanInTheStands said:

Huntington won the 2nd game by 20+...straight from a player who competed in that game

I believe Woodville was highly ranked in the first game. The spread was was implemented by coach Hand I believe because of the youth of his club. Not coming out to contest the ball was a huge mistake on the Woodville coaches part. It was not something he did to keep his team close. If you talk with Leland tell him I said hello. I haven’t talked to him since last week 

25 minutes ago, AFanInTheStands said:

TheDream34 forcing a team into a game of chase is a strategy as well. Yes it can be an aggravating one for the team chasing, but it's a strategy none the less and within the rules. If people don't like it then maybe they should avoid high school basketball games. Well at least ones where a team is trying to give themselves a chance to compete against a stronger opponent.

And my question for the haters, would you be mad if your team used the same strategy or would you talk your coach up like he is a genius?

Yes, any rational fan would be embarrassed if their coach pulled that stunt. 

I don't know why people are whining so much about this. I guess Lumberton is one of those schools/ teams/ communities some people just want to hate on. I remember "LumbetonOldTimer" saying last football season "Some people just aren't happy unless Lumberton is losing". (I feel ya, man).  

I watch NCAA BB. If I recall, SMU in the late 80's? did a crazy stall, and it worked for them for a while. Bottom line, if its clearly WITHIN the rules, everyone should just deal with it and stop crying. If you really want to address competitive manipulation, address all the transfers, and schools like Faith & Family.