5AD1 District 8 and Region 2 discussion.

Cougtalk

3 hours ago, BlackShirts5 said:

Yea I dont see that happening again any time soon. Week 4 and 6 will be your ln tough games in District.

Crosby's average margin of victory in district play last year was 33.3ppg and considering what we bring back I expect similar results in this district if we stay healthy. I think those two games you mentioned will certainly be our toughest but I don't expect them to be near as hard to finish as they were last year. 

While BH may finish with a slightly better record I don't expect their team to be as good overall. Their stats aren't all the way complete but from what I can make of it they're losing their top 8 tacklers on defense, a couple of good o-linemen, the best backfield I've seen them with and now their top receiver for most of, if not, all year. It's going to take a solid coaching job just to make sure they don't lose to anybody they're not supposed to, especially early in the year.

PAM probably had the best QB/receiving group combination in the coverage area, yet they become very Spring Westfield-ish when it's time to score on good competition. It's odd that with that caliber of athlete they don't score more efficiently when called for but it's kind of been their M.O. lately? Still, it will be a long ride down to Jefferson County and it's always going to be interesting with the type game-breakers they can put on the field.  

Who knows though? Crosby has a history of going through district play undefeated only to lose the last game of the year. Maybe GCM pulls the shocker? 

• 1 month later...
39 minutes ago, Mr. Buddy Garrity said:

Any interesting news lately? 🤔

I was in Dickinson last week at the track meet and was informed by a PAM fan that they would be rebuilding this year and not to expect too much from them🤷🏾‍♂️

Later on in the conversation he tells me that moving into the district with PAM was the best thing that could’ve happened to Crosby because they would “really” get us ready for the playoffs versus the district we played in the last couple of years🧐 

I know some people didn’t like Kenny Ray but this guy made a very good argument for why they should’ve kept him in relation to all sports results, not just football. 

On 4/7/2022 at 4:40 PM, Cougar14.2 said:

Later on in the conversation he tells me that moving into the district with PAM was the best thing that could’ve happened to Crosby because they would “really” get us ready for the playoffs versus the district we played in the last couple of years🧐 

I'm so confused... 

1) How was Crosby not ready for the playoffs? 

2) How did our district with three teams going 3 deep not help us prepare? 

On 2/14/2022 at 3:02 PM, Cougar14.2 said:

Who knows though? Crosby has a history of going through district play undefeated only to lose the last game of the year. Maybe GCM pulls the shocker? 

Yea also, the last time we played GCM it was a final game of season and we threw up an absolute crap show of a game. Granted that's all the way back in the Flannigan era but still. 

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve said it countless times over the years but two things I hate placing any value in are JV records and 7on7 scores. 

That being said, to somewhat break my own rule I’ll say based on what I saw yesterday at the 7on7 tournament in Dickinson that Crosby has more than sufficient talent to cover the losses at the skill positions from last year. The two places I was concerned were the defensive line and the secondary. Even with the loss of Kirkwood it looks like the secondary will be better overall. We’ll see about the d-line in Spring ball, which starts next week, but the LB core looks so solid with the Summer Creek transfer finally being eligible that we just need to find three guys to keep them clean vs a McCoy Casey type dominant replacement up front we were going to miss. 

Myles threw for 32 tds and 3 ints last year. When a kid knows he can take off and most likely pick up the first down it’s hard to get him to take more chances with the football. However, I would gladly take two additional interceptions added to that total if it meant the opportunity for another 8-10 touchdown receptions by our receivers. 40 tds and 5 ints doesn’t sound that bad. 

As long as we stay/stayed healthy Crosby was going to be in good shape this year just due to the talent in this range of classes we have playing varsity right now. Depending on how the line of scrimmage shakes out between Spring ball and Fall camp, we might be in very good shape. 

I was feeling like Baytown Lee would probably be the 4th place finisher this year but I think I’ll switch my prediction to Kingwood Park. I liked the sophomore QB they put in against Crosby and eventually finished the season with. I didn’t realize that #4 kid that played receiver for them had that great a year? He had 1,004 receiving yards on 62 catches with 11 tds on a not very good team. 

The thing I value most when making a prediction about a team’s season is if they have a returning QB. KP has that, IDK what their returning linemen look like but assuming they start Jaxson Sims(sophomore) they still have the 6’5” kid who started the season at QB and will probably be a factor somewhere else? KP may give somebody some unexpected trouble this year if they figure out how to make a stop or two during a football game. 

3 hours ago, Cougar14.2 said:

I was feeling like Baytown Lee would probably be the 4th place finisher this year but I think I’ll switch my prediction to Kingwood Park. I liked the sophomore QB they put in against Crosby and eventually finished the season with. I didn’t realize that #4 kid that played receiver for them had that great a year? He had 1,004 receiving yards on 62 catches with 11 tds on a not very good team. 

The thing I value most when making a prediction about a team’s season is if they have a returning QB. KP has that, IDK what their returning linemen look like but assuming they start Jaxson Sims(sophomore) they still have the 6’5” kid who started the season at QB and will probably be a factor somewhere else? KP may give somebody some unexpected trouble this year if they figure out how to make a stop or two during a football game. 

Crosby 

BH 

Last 2 spots out of Port Arthur Memorial, KP and Lee. 

6 hours ago, Mr. Buddy Garrity said:

Crosby 

BH 

Last 2 spots out of Port Arthur Memorial, KP and Lee. 

Dang dude! BH has no where near the athletes PAM does, and BH lost its bruiser QB to graduation. 

Crosby

PAM 

BH 

KP

That is still the exact order I picked months ago. Lee and the dynamic Boston could upset KP for 4th, but I think KP has a deeper team. Lets get this thing started!  

1 minute ago, Separation Scientist said:

Dang dude! BH has no where near the athletes PAM does, and BH lost its bruiser QB to graduation. 

Crosby

PAM 

BH 

KP

That is still the exact order I picked months ago. Lee and the dynamic Boston could upset KP for 4th, but I think KP has a deeper team. Lets get this thing started!  

I've seen lesser talented teams beat Port Arthur Memorial before, just ask @pakronos 

14 hours ago, Mr. Buddy Garrity said:

I couldn't edit my post, but I lean towards KP 3rd and Port Arthur Memorial 4th, but we'll see what Lee has to say about that. 

If PAM is even semi-competent on offense this year they should be able to muster 40-50 points against KP's defense. They're very PNG-like where most of their good athletes play on the offensive side of the ball, they haven't had a decent defense since 2014. I think if KP finishes 3rd it's going to be because they're better than people are predicting, not necessarily because the district is worse. 

I don't think y'all will have much issue with Lee. I was looking through some of their stuff and didn't realize how much Trudell Berry impacted their outcomes last year. He was far and away their best player and signed with Vanderbilt after being recruited by Aston Walter. I love Lee's coach but they simply don't have enough at the line of scrimmage to consistently compete. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...