Who will be the new Chief of PNG?/Jeff Joseph named lone finalist

Indianforever

3 minutes ago, AggiesAreWe said:

Dodge announced his retirement to start in May. If he has put in his paperwork with TRS, then he cannot draw a salary from any school district in the state of Texas. He would have to "sit out" a year before he could draw a salary from a Texas school district. At least, that's how I understand it.

He could have put off the retirement in order to be hired or his hiring is under an independent contractor. Not really sure how all this works for a coach or admin.

My wife retired last May as a teacher and she could only work as an independent contractor for a Texas ISD and it had to be a job where a regular employee could not do. Otherwise that person would be considered an employee of the school district. She will have to sit out a year and then can hire back into a Texas ISD and be an employee and receive a salary and benefits.

Not sure what Dodge will fall under.

The way I understand it, the retiree can return to work after 60 days but only work half the year. Then full time after the year.

36 minutes ago, AggiesAreWe said:

Dodge announced his retirement to start in May. If he has put in his paperwork with TRS, then he cannot draw a salary from any school district in the state of Texas. He would have to "sit out" a year before he could draw a salary from a Texas school district. At least, that's how I understand it.

He could have put off the retirement in order to be hired or his hiring is under an independent contractor. Not really sure how all this works for a coach or admin.

My wife retired last May as a teacher and she could only work as an independent contractor for a Texas ISD and it had to be a job where a regular employee could not do. Otherwise that person would be considered an employee of the school district. She will have to sit out a year and then can hire back into a Texas ISD and be an employee and receive a salary and benefits.

Not sure what Dodge will fall under.

This is a very helpful primer. Start at the top of Page 9.

This is the hidden content, please

Dodge was 1-2 vs. PN-G.

1978 SOPH: 34-13 Indians at PAISD Memorial Stadium

1979 JR: 26-14 Indians at The Reservation

1980: SR: 14-13 Jackets at The Reservation

Statistically, Dodge did not have good games vs. PN-G.  He would have been 0-3 but for his defense bailing him out and stopping the Indians' 2-point try.  The 1980 Jacket offense gets the hype because of Dodge, Duhon, and Bruce Miller, but the Jacket defense was no slouch.  Don Holloway at LB.  DLs Terrell, Wallace, Hancock, Kip Cooper, and I bet I am forgetting some.  Good times...good memories.

On 2/1/2022 at 9:22 PM, TxHoops said:

Serious question:  should Big Ned have moved on from Brian English for not winning state?  Because a big reason he doesn’t have a ring is his loyalty to Nederland.  He has had opportunities to move on to places he would have a much better shot at a ring.  Or does the state title or failure not apply to sports where it takes far fewer athletes to be successful?

No.  My time table and raised bar is only for football.  And there are two reasons.  One more than the other. 

The lesser one:  The community as a whole is not that much concerned about sports that are below football.  When's the last time someone requested a "Freedom Of Information" concerning who has a applied for the volleyball coaching job at, say, WOS?  Or the Golfing job at PNG?  Or do towns "empty" to go and watch when a local school plays for State in tennis?  You know, like they did back when PNG played for State in the 70's and set an attendance record at Texas Stadium.  Probably not.

Now, the main reason:  When you have the taxpayer expenditures like you do in football, well that's a different set of responsibilities.   The HC is getting paid big bucks.  So, yes, the time frame and high expectations are there.  Now let me say this:  If a school was paying the tennis coach as much as the head football coach, then yes, the time frame and expectation would then extend there.  As I've said before -- the more you make, much more is expected.  Especially with taxpayer dollars!

I would just like to point out that PN-G packed the Dell Diamond for the state championship in baseball in 2017. Grapevine appeared visibly rattled by the size and rowdiness of the PN-G crowd. Attending that was one of my proudest moments as a PN-G Indian.

11 hours ago, 1989NDN said:

Dodge was 1-2 vs. PN-G.

1978 SOPH: 34-13 Indians at PAISD Memorial Stadium

1979 JR: 26-14 Indians at The Reservation

1980: SR: 14-13 Jackets at The Reservation

Statistically, Dodge did not have good games vs. PN-G.  He would have been 0-3 but for his defense bailing him out and stopping the Indians' 2-point try.  The 1980 Jacket offense gets the hype because of Dodge, Duhon, and Bruce Miller, but the Jacket defense was no slouch.  Don Holloway at LB.  DLs Terrell, Wallace, Hancock, Kip Cooper, and I bet I am forgetting some.  Good times...good memories.

Don Holloway was the RB on the State team

• AggiesAreWe changed the title to Who will be the new Chief of PNG?/Jeff Joseph named lone finalist