Who will be the new Chief of PNG?/Jeff Joseph named lone finalist

Indianforever

On 1/27/2022 at 11:51 AM, hitman009 said:

to name a few without deep thought:

Very experienced: Coached at multiple levels, knows how to adjust due to players abilities, Very knowledgeable about multiple sports, has many collegiate contacts to help player recruitment.

Personality: very approachable to community and kids, honest, full of integrity, high level in intensity, knows how to communicate well, knows how to lead by example, kids respond to him.

He knows the community and how it operates(very important at PNG).

Ha 

Very experienced: Coached at multiple levels, knows how to adjust due to players abilities, Very knowledgeable about multiple sports, has many collegiate contacts to help player recruitment.

Personality: very approachable to community and kids, honest, full of integrity, high level in intensity, knows how to communicate well, knows how to lead by example, kids respond to him.

What is his win loss record? Nice guys finish last. 

5 hours ago, purpleeagle said:

What is his win loss record? Nice guys finish last. 

If you are looking at wins and losses only then you do not see the big picture. If that was the case BF, the PNG Head Coach with the most wins in PNG history, should have never got the job in the first place. He was never a head coach before he got the job. BF has great qualities that helped PNG's success. I see CL, that has those same qualities, doing the same..

22 minutes ago, hitman009 said:

If you are looking at wins and losses only then you do not see the big picture. If that was the case BF, the PNG Head Coach with the most wins in PNG history, should have never got the job in the first place. He was never a head coach before he got the job. BF has great qualities that helped PNG's success. I see CL, that has those same qualities, doing the same..

Faircloth had been an assistant at Austin Westlake and Highland Park, and an OC at Odessa Permian. He’d been a part of multiple state championships at the first two, and his offenses had shattered multiple records on deep playoff runs at Permian. That experience paid off - it’s got a lot to do with why he went 11-1 in his very first season as a head coach.

Langston doesn’t have any of that background, and has a 5-5 record in his first season as a high school head coach. And if we’re going to look at the big picture, Langston may very well be a nice guy, but he’s got a history of NCAA violations that cost him his college career.

34 minutes ago, PN-G bamatex said:

Faircloth had been an assistant at Austin Westlake and Highland Park, and an OC at Odessa Permian. He’d been a part of multiple state championships at the first two, and his offenses had shattered multiple records on deep playoff runs at Permian. That experience paid off - it’s got a lot to do with why he went 11-1 in his very first season as a head coach.

Langston doesn’t have any of that background, and has a 5-5 record in his first season as a high school head coach. And if we’re going to look at the big picture, Langston may very well be a nice guy, but he’s got a history of NCAA violations that cost him his college career.

If PNG wants someone who can't win a State Championship, then they might as well kept who they had!  Just saying!

Maybe one day the Benzene, toluene  and polypropylene

1 hour ago, PN-G bamatex said:

Langston would be a foolish hire. I would honestly choose Toby over Langston if I only had those two to choose fron

1 hour ago, PN-G bamatex said:

Quoting myself to make a correction. I had not realized Langston was head coach at Trinity High for three seasons. His overall high school head coaching record is 14-25, or .359.

No record is better than that record.

2 hours ago, PN-G bamatex said:

No doubt they should have kept BF. But just cause you come from great programs does not mean you will succeed as a HC/AD. Wins and losses are not necessarily a indicator either. I can think of a local coach that has had success at Lamar, SFA, University of Florida, and recently Central Michigan that was a HC/AD at a local school and his record was 0-20 in his early years. Coach Alverez was 5-15 his first 2 years at Ennis. Then won state 2 years after that.

Do you think Pevey's decision to leave could have been IN PART is he "seen the writing on the wall" on up and coming athletes?  A 5-5 record his first year could have been a major accomplishment. 

I'm just saying IMO winning is not a definite at PNG. it takes the right kind of mind and qualities to succeed there. I believe if he is chosen to be Chief, He will be good. 

People are forgetting,  this group of upcoming Seniors next year are SERIOUSLY good. Definitely better than our typical classes coming through. I have a feeling whoever they bring in as coach will be successful. These kids are players and this group has a lot of heart.

33 minutes ago, hitman009 said:

No doubt they should have kept BF. But just cause you come from great programs does not mean you will succeed as a HC/AD. Wins and losses are not necessarily a indicator either. I can think of a local coach that has had success at Lamar, SFA, University of Florida, and recently Central Michigan that was a HC/AD at a local school and his record was 0-20 in his early years. Coach Alverez was 5-15 his first 2 years at Ennis. Then won state 2 years after that.

Do you think Pevey's decision to leave could have been IN PART is he "seen the writing on the wall" on up and coming athletes?  A 5-5 record his first year could have been a major accomplishment. 

I'm just saying IMO winning is not a definite at PNG. it takes the right kind of mind and qualities to succeed there. I believe if he is chosen to be Chief, He will be good. 

To answer your question, no, I don’t think Peevey’s departure from West Brook had anything to do with lacking talent coming up through the ranks. There’s plenty of talent and athleticism in the Beaumont schools.

I think it had a lot more to do with the fact that Peevey was one of the lowest paid head coaches in 6A, and LC-M offered both more money and the AD title he didn’t have in BISD. Plus, LC-M was the right opening at the right time; as has been mentioned several times over, his wife is an LC-M grad, and Peevey’s an Orange County boy.

52 minutes ago, hitman009 said:

Kevin Barbay was never going to win at that time in Warren. 

26 minutes ago, PN-G bamatex said:

To answer your question, no, I don’t think Peevey’s departure from West Brook had anything to do with lacking talent coming up through the ranks. There’s plenty of talent and athleticism in the Beaumont schools.

I think it had a lot more to do with the fact that Peevey was one of the lowest paid head coaches in 6A, and LC-M offered both more money and the AD title he didn’t have in BISD. Plus, LC-M was the right opening at the right time; as has been mentioned several times over, his wife is an LC-M grad, and Peevey’s an Orange County boy.

really.... I have nothing against Peevey. He is a great man and coach... but Westbrook finished 3rd in district in 2019.. in 2020 they were 4-6 and finished 4th in district.. All under Peevey.  Do you think if they were returning to the State Championship on a consistent basis like they did in 2018 that the success of the program would have not made a difference...  then I don't know what to say... That would go against 99% of coaches mentality.. 

Some might say CL improved the WB program from the previous year and they would be technically correct. . 

23 minutes ago, Mr. Thornton Melon said:

It's ok , the truth sometimes hurts Chuckles.

Just kiss the right butts and I'm sure you will get your chance

You know I’m not CL. Is there a better man for the job ? Maybe. But to say he would be a bad hire shows you lack of knowledge on the subject.

39 minutes ago, Texfootball said:

People are forgetting,  this group of upcoming Seniors next year are SERIOUSLY good. Definitely better than our typical classes coming through. 

Unfortunately for PNG, that seriously good class will be seniors during a new coaches transition year. Thats not to say things can't click, because they can, but typically it takes a season or two, including off seasons, for a new program to be fully installed and implemented.

Hoping the best for PNG! 

28 minutes ago, Separation Scientist said:

Unfortunately for PNG, that seriously good class will be seniors during a new coaches transition year. Thats not to say things can't click, because they can, but typically it takes a season or two, including off seasons, for a new program to be fully installed and implemented.

Hoping the best for PNG! 

The last PNG head coach went 10-0 his first season on the Rez… with a less talented class than the current one they are about to have.

49 minutes ago, hitman009 said:

EXACTLY... his record does NOT indicate his Coaching success.  that was my whole point

There's two different situations here:  Him being a head coach and him being an assistant coach.  As we find out quite often, a coach can be a good assistant but not a very good head coach.  

3 hours ago, Mr. Thornton Melon said:

Let;s be realistic , no ones going to be able to win  a ring at PNG.

Let me play to your intellect:  Do you think the same thing was being said about Carthage before Surratt got there?  How about at Aledo before Buchanan?  How about Brownwood before Wood got there?  BTW, Wood won State in his first year.  How about at Stephenville before Briles got there?  How about Celina before Moore got there?  The point is -- there where not ANY State Titles won before these "coaches" got to their respective schools!   So, I'm sure you are intelligent enough to see what the difference was:  The Coach!  So, straight to your point:  Yes, PNG can win A State Title if the "right" coach is selected!  Now, if the selection is s "buddy" deal, then all bets are off! 

• AggiesAreWe changed the title to Who will be the new Chief of PNG?/Jeff Joseph named lone finalist