Faircloth Resigns as PNG Head Coach & athletic Director

png9mon

10 minutes ago, pine curtain said:

So if the new coach doesn't beat Nederland and go at least 4 rounds in the playoffs will he be a failure?

Next election will be fun to watch.  

Per Smitty, I mean Reagan: yes, you are correct partially, the new guy has to win STATE or else. 

1 hour ago, mat said:

PNG is one of, if not the most, premier jobs in the area. They should get some quality applicants. Hiring the right one may be another story. 

depends on your definition of quality.  there are plenty of solid assistant coaches looking for their first gig.  there are established coaches looking to come back to this area, etc.  But "quality" coaches in good situations aren't going to be lining up to come coach in a daddy ball system.  I guarantee just about every coach in the state, and certainly in the region, knows exactly what went down with Faircloth.  If I'm a young up and comer, or maybe an older assistant who's never been given a shot, it's worth the risk.  But no way in hell I'd leave a good gig to coach there.  

49 minutes ago, bullets13 said:

depends on your definition of quality.  there are plenty of solid assistant coaches looking for their first gig.  there are established coaches looking to come back to this area, etc.  But "quality" coaches in good situations aren't going to be lining up to come coach in a daddy ball system.  I guarantee just about every coach in the state, and certainly in the region, knows exactly what went down with Faircloth.  If I'm a young up and comer, or maybe an older assistant who's never been given a shot, it's worth the risk.  But no way in hell I'd leave a good gig to coach there.  

That's why I said what I said when Coach Neece was brought up, I'd stay right there in Anahuac. 

1 hour ago, bullets13 said:

Maybe I am wrong and I’m sure someone will correct me if I am. I think Dan Hooks, Larry Neumann and Brandon Faircloth all were assistants only before being named head coach at WOS, Nederland and a PNG. That is a fairly long track record of some of the winningest coaches in this area in recent years. I think all three are the winningest coach in each school’s  history and all coached against each other. With Hooks and Neumann, I believe it was their only head coaching job. They did not come from somewhere else as a head coach and never moved on to somewhere else. Until yesterday that was true of Faircloth.

Much talk is made of bringing in some mythical head coach with a long résumé but that may not always be the right answer. 

4 hours ago, tvc184 said:

Maybe I am wrong and I’m sure someone will correct me if I am. I think Dan Hooks, Larry Neumann and Brandon Faircloth all were assistants only before being named head coach at WOS, Nederland and a PNG. That is a fairly long track record of some of the winningest coaches in this area in recent years. I think all three are the winningest coach in each school’s  history and all coached against each other. With Hooks and Neumann, I believe it was their only head coaching job. They did not come from somewhere else as a head coach and never moved on to somewhere else. Until yesterday that was true of Faircloth.

Much talk is made of bringing in some mythical head coach with a long résumé but that may not always be the right answer. 

I don’t disagree with this.  There are just a lot of people talking up the png job like some established, winning coach is going to fall all over himself to come get the faircloth treatment 

7 hours ago, tvc184 said:

Highlighting an important piece of this very well stated post for those out there claiming ‘thirteen seasons is a long time to hang on to a head coach’ and ‘head coaches typically come and go much more quickly than that’ to downplay the significance of Faircloth’s departure.

Setting Faircloth aside, the three most consistently successful coaches in Southeast Texas since 1980 are Dan Hooks, Larry Neumann and Curtis Barbay. All were with their programs for at least 25 years. Neumann’s record at Nederland during the first half of his tenure there is especially comparable to Faircloth’s.

I just wish tvc had stated this in the Port Neches neighborhood watch group on Facebook. There aren’t many, but the few comments there supporting Faircloth’s departure are absolutely dumbfounding.

10 hours ago, mat said:

PNG is one of, if not the most, premier jobs in the area. They should get some quality applicants. Hiring the right one may be another story. 

I would have thought that about the WOS job, given the history of success there. Yet, only 13 candidates applied, with only one of them having a winning record as a HC at the 2A level and only two of them having WOS ties. Really surprising to see the dismal list of candidates.

1 hour ago, PN-G bamatex said:

Highlighting an important piece of this very well stated post for those out there claiming ‘thirteen seasons is a long time to hang on to a head coach’ and ‘head coaches typically come and go much more quickly than that’ to downplay the significance of Faircloth’s departure.

Setting Faircloth aside, the three most consistently successful coaches in Southeast Texas since 1980 are Dan Hooks, Larry Neumann and Curtis Barbay. All were with their programs for at least 25 years. Neumann’s record at Nederland during the first half of his tenure there is especially comparable to Faircloth’s.

I just wish tvc had stated this in the Port Neches neighborhood watch group on Facebook. There aren’t many, but the few comments there supporting Faircloth’s departure are absolutely dumbfounding.

I considered it but kind of wanted to stay out of politics in that group. 

8 hours ago, OneChance said:

I would have thought that about the WOS job, given the history of success there. Yet, only 13 candidates applied, with only one of them having a winning record as a HC at the 2A level and only two of them having WOS ties. Really surprising to see the dismal list of candidates.

If the Chase Adams on the applicant list is who I think he is, then that would make it three applicants with WOS ties (assuming Foreman and Hickman are the two you're thinking of). Either way, your point stands that the applicant list is a big head-scratcher.

Should've stuck with Faircloth. He did more with less and PNG over achieved with him as chief. No coach is going to win state @ PNG , 1975 was 48 years ago and things have changed a lot since then . Png is land locked by the Neches, Port Arthur and Nederland so growth is impossible. The plant contractors are all migrants so they wont help either. Last time I went to a PNG Senior night I couldn't help to notice most of the students names called out  were mostly hispanic. If you build it they will come and they did