Sulphur Springs…/Faircloth hired

navydawg31

16 minutes ago, Mr. Buddy Garrity said:

He did want him fired remember??😂 I'm surprised he isn't trying to run off Barrow. 

Don't forget Reagan is Smitty, he just changed his screen name. 

Yeah I always forget he changed his name… 

but he did want him fired, he didn’t want the school bond passed, and I’m sure if Nederland don’t win state this year(which I know we won’t, i am realist) he will be wanting Barrow fired

6 minutes ago, navydawg31 said:

Yeah I always forget he changed his name… 

but he did want him fired, he didn’t want the school bond passed, and I’m sure if Nederland don’t win state this year(which I know we won’t, i am realist) he will be wanting Barrow fired

Really not a fan , more of a foe of almost everything....With the exception of State Championship winning coaches...

7 hours ago, Reagan said:

First of all, let me say Doug Ethridge spanked Les Koenning in the Astrodome during a playoff run.  Another fact!  

Now, With Newton and Barbay:  There are no guarantees.  True I would have missed that one.  But, that's like 1% of the total.  The point is:  Do you let a coach stay there 30 years with the "hope" that he may start winning a state title?  Again, not me.  I miss a few along the way.  But that percentage is small.  Why?  Because there are not that many state championship-type coaches out there. 

Now Phil Danaher is an interesting situation:   I'm pretty sure he ran a respectable program through the years.  But -- one has to wonder why he couldn't bring it to the next level.  My thought, he's not one of the 10% out there that could.  But if the taxpayers, fan base and administration was happy going a couple of rounds in the playoffs and then going home, well, more power to them!  Again, that's where they set the bar!

Now a little speculation and a fact:  Concerning Faircloth:  Does anyone think that if he took over at Carthage right now that within 7 years he could win a State Title and replicate what Surratt has done?  That's the speculation part.  Now the fact:  Before Surratt got there -- no one did!!  Was he just so lucky that the talent only showed up at Carthage when he did??!!  I don't think any one here can honestly believe that!!

No one has ever done what Surratt has ever done, so I wouldn’t expect Faircloth to.

Danaher won more games than anyone ever in Texas ever has, so pretty sure he knows how to coach.     Talk about next level…. Outside of winning a state title (which is extremely difficult) Danaher had Calallen at the pinnacle for 40 years.

Danaher had Calallen in around 10 semifinals and 2 state title games.   Every time losing to a team with much much more talent than he had.  And they came close to winning several of them, because of him, not in spite of his coaching. 

Your expectations of a state championship are no where close to reality.   Not even close.   Ask anyone who has ever coached, and better yet, that has won one.

7 hours ago, Cougar14.2 said:

Not fast at all. PNG doesn't have near the talent level comparable to their classification that Carthage does. Plus, Surratt already makes over $150k at Carthage and I doubt PNG can touch that. They would probably feel the same way BH does about Westerberg and his titles at Allen. 

Bingo. 

9 minutes ago, MackLewis said:

No one has ever done what Surratt has ever done, so I wouldn’t expect Faircloth to.

Danaher won more games than anyone ever in Texas ever has, so pretty sure he knows how to coach.     Talk about next level…. Outside of winning a state title (which is extremely difficult) Danaher had Calallen at the pinnacle for 40 years.

Danaher had Calallen in around 10 semifinals and 2 state title games.   Every time losing to a team with much much more talent than he had.  And they came close to winning several of them, because of him, not in spite of his coaching. 

Your expectations of a state championship are no where close to reality.   Not even close.   Ask anyone who has ever coached, and better yet, that has won one.

Heck he needs to try to coach a youth football game. I bet he doesn’t win a championship in 7 years.  It’s alot easier to talk about it then doing it. Kids have a lot of outside distractions that cause them not to stay focused 

5 minutes ago, LCMAlumtiger32 said:

Heck he needs to try to coach a youth football game. I bet he doesn’t win a championship in 7 years.  It’s alot easier to talk about it then doing it. Kids have a lot of outside distractions that cause them not to stay focused 

I think he must play a bunch of Madden.   

It’s so easy to win a super bowl playing the Rookie level…. Why can’t they do that at the high school level.

• AggiesAreWe changed the title to Sulphur Springs…/Faircloth hired

Congrats to Faircloth, but man this is exactly what the school board and Dr Gonzales wanted to happen. They can wipe their hands clean of anything. The answer will be “He found another job, we had nothing to do with him leaving, he has been looking for years!” if you ask them directly what happened or ask them why they wanted him out. 

We keep hearing that the truth will come out if he leaves, well he is gone, so talking heads and the people in the know, let’s hear it, spill the beans. We are all waiting anxiously to find out what happened behind closed doors, or are those doors going to remain closed?

Here is some head coaches in the long list of top Texas high school coaches who took longer then 7 to 10 years to win a state championship.

Mike Johnston-Katy

Curtis Barbay-Newton

Bob McQueen-Temple

Tom Kimbrough-Plano

T.J. Mills-Sealy

Bob Ledbetter-Southlake Carroll

Todd Dodge

Luther Booker-Yates

Art Briles

John Outlaw-Lufkin

G.A. Moore-Pilot Point/Celina

Ron Mills-Bay City

Joe Clements-Huntsville

David Aymond-North Shore

Gary Gaines- Odessa Permian

Joey Florence-Denton Ryan

Bryan Erwin-La Marque

John King-Longview 

Bill Smith-Aldine

Steve Shaver-Beaumont French

Ross Rogers-A&M Consolidated 

Terry Gambill-Allen

Lee Fedora-Navasota

Jake Fieszel-Gunter

Rusty Dowling-Texas City

Hal Wasson

John Parchman-Midland Lee

Ed Putejovsky-Cy Fair

Ron Poe-Mckinney 

Gene McCollum-PNG

Joe Martin-Garland

19 hours ago, Matthew328 said:

I definitely wouldnt call Calallen the "barrio"

Its not. The thing about Calallen is not their demographics, but the demographics of their Region 4 competition. Danaher and Calallen has had a very easy glide path though their district, and at least through the first round or two. They can rack up a ton of wins but then they soon go out when the competition is more real.  

Put Danaher and Calallen in region 2 or 3 and it would look different.    

15 hours ago, MackLewis said:

Calallen at the "Pinnacle"? Last year they won 1 playoff game (Zapata, who ever that is), year before they went two rounds, Grulla (who ever that is) and Canyon Lake.

Danaher and Calallen has had a very easy glide path though their district, and at least through the first round or two. They can rack up a ton of wins but then they soon go out when the competition is real.  

Put Danaher and Calallen in region 2 or 3 and those 40 years would look different. Still good but much different.    

2 hours ago, KF89 said:

Here is some head coaches in the long list of top Texas high school coaches who took longer then 7 to 10 years to win a state championship.

Mike Johnston-Katy

Curtis Barbay-Newton

Bob McQueen-Temple

Tom Kimbrough-Plano

T.J. Mills-Sealy

Bob Ledbetter-Southlake Carroll

Todd Dodge

Luther Booker-Yates

Art Briles

John Outlaw-Lufkin

G.A. Moore-Pilot Point/Celina

Ron Mills-Bay City

Joe Clements-Huntsville

David Aymond-North Shore

Gary Gaines- Odessa Permian

Joey Florence-Denton Ryan

Bryan Erwin-La Marque

John King-Longview 

Bill Smith-Aldine

Steve Shaver-Beaumont French

Ross Rogers-A&M Consolidated 

Terry Gambill-Allen

Lee Fedora-Navasota

Jake Fieszel-Gunter

Rusty Dowling-Texas City

Hal Wasson

John Parchman-Midland Lee

Ed Putejovsky-Cy Fair

Ron Poe-Mckinney 

Gene McCollum-PNG

Joe Martin-Garland

If you came up with this list, I applaud your tenacity!    But, right off the bat I saw many that were wrong.  So, I figured you might not understand what mean when I say 7 years.  I'm talking about at a specific school.  Not when they start being a HC.  I don't care if other taxpayers in other districts have low expectations of their coaches.  I just expect what a coach expects at the beginning of every football season.  Plus -- maybe what they promised in an interview to get the job.  Sure, I would have missed some of these coaches future Titles.  But, the overall odds would be in my favor.

19 minutes ago, Separation Scientist said:

Calallen at the "Pinnacle'? 

Danaher and Calallen has had a very easy glide path though their district, and at least through the first round or two. They can rack up a ton of wins but then they soon go out when the competition is real.  

WOW -- somebody who gets it.  That has always been my question as to why he had all these wins but no State Championships.  As you say, probably the competition level of the district!  Excellent thought!

Thanks man. I am always a bit concerned when I post something like this, because someone might accuse me of criticizing or having an axe to grind or something like that, which I do not! I am glad you too see there is more to the Calallen - Danaher story.

Coaches should be evaluated how they do with the talent they have at hand, and the level of competition they face. People really need to take the relative view for the most accurate assessment.       

35 minutes ago, Reagan said:

One must ask oneself:  As of this post, there are 10 6A jobs open.  So, why did he make a "side ways" move to a 5-A school?  Maybe it was because, oh never mind!

Some coaches like a 1 team per city aspect of it. Look at Todd Dodge when he came back to hs level… he easily could have had a better job than Marble Falls but he took it because of that aspect. Heard from numerous coaches that’s one of their check list on applying for a HC job. 

1 hour ago, Separation Scientist said:

Its not. The thing about Calallen is not their demographics, but the demographics of their Region 4 competition. Danaher and Calallen has had a very easy glide path though their district, and at least through the first round or two. They can rack up a ton of wins but then they soon go out when the competition is more real.  

He's dominating that region with the same demographics and talent pool as the rest of them.  It's unrealistic to expect him to somehow compete against the teams from Austin, Dallas, Houston, etc.  It's not like he's got a team from Katy over there or something pounding all the crappy teams.  

8 minutes ago, bullets13 said:

He's dominating that region with the same demographics and talent pool as the rest of them.  It's unrealistic to expect him to somehow compete against the teams from Austin, Dallas, Houston, etc.  

Uh, not exactly. The RGV teams are almost 100% Hispanic. Calallen is 40% white.

He HAS to compete with Austin, Houston, Dallas if he wants to advance in the playoffs!  Calallen aspires to do more than just beat up on the weak RGV.   

1 hour ago, Separation Scientist said:

That sounds like you don't even research THSF? He's beating the kids down there WITH the kids from down there. If you put him in region 3 and give him Crosby's kids or put him in region 2 and give him South Oak Cliff's kids it's a completely different story. SMH. Coach Prieto came from CC Vets which is a great Coastal Bend program now, they haven't been to the semis out of region 4 since the school opened though. However, with Crosby's talent he was able to win region 3 in back to back years. Those Joe's absolutely matter. 

For most of the past 20 years you could've taken those good team down in Corpus and they would've mauled BH and most of the school around here on a regular basis. The "barrio" comment I made wasn't about the school's location itself, it was in regards to people on this board that think certain schools have fallen off because of the growth in the Hispanic population. That's literally 60% of what Danaher had to work with down there, yet he gets knocked because he couldn't beat schools like Manvel and La Marque on a regular basis who had 5X the talent he did. Guess what, the reason Calallen was playing those schools is because NOBODY IN REGION 3 BEAT THEM EITHER. 

1 hour ago, Reagan said:

WOW -- somebody who gets it.  That has always been my question as to why he had all these wins but no State Championships.  As you say, probably the competition level of the district!  Excellent thought!

Spring Westfield hardly loses any district games, is a certified Houston powerhouse and has 0 state championships. They pile up a bunch of wins in a district that's often suspect outside of the other Spring ISD schools. Are the Meekins brothers not great coaches? I mean, they've beat North Shore more often than anybody else in the state besides Katy recently. A bunch of those schools Calallen was beating in district play, especially when they were in 5A, would've hammered the average SETX team.  

38 minutes ago, Separation Scientist said:

Uh, not exactly. The RGV teams are almost 100% Hispanic. Calallen is 40% white.

He HAS to compete with Austin, Houston, Dallas if he wants to advance in the playoffs!  Calallen aspires to do more than just beat up on the weak RGV.   

S. Scientist, you notice how a lot here ALWAYS blames the kids and gives the coach a pass?!   

28 minutes ago, Cougar14.2 said:

That sounds like you don't even research THSF? He's beating the kids down there WITH the kids from down there. If you put him in region 3 and give him Crosby's kids or put him in region 2 and give him South Oak Cliff's kids it's a completely different story. SMH. Coach Prieto came from CC Vets which is a great Coastal Bend program now, they haven't been to the semis out of region 4 since the school opened though. However, with Crosby's talent he was able to win region 3 in back to back years. Those Joe's absolutely matter. 

For most of the past 20 years you could've taken those good team down in Corpus and they would've mauled BH and most of the school around here on a regular basis. The "barrio" comment I made wasn't about the school's location itself, it was in regards to people on this board that think certain schools have fallen off because of the growth in the Hispanic population. That's literally 60% of what Danaher had to work with down there, yet he gets knocked because he couldn't beat schools like Manvel and La Marque on a regular basis who had 5X the talent he did. Guess what, the reason Calallen was playing those schools is because NOBODY IN REGION 3 BEAT THEM EITHER. 

I can't wait to see how the "facts don't care about your feelings" crowd tries to spin these facts.