La Porte is Open

2 hours ago, D3zii said:

That whole area headed south of Houston towards Galveston as a whole is going through a major change and not the football powers they use to be

(La Marque, Hitchcock, Galveston, etc.) 

A lot of people like to point to demographic shifts as the reason for the slides. The bigger reason is because there's just not anymore money down there, look at the facilities for instance. I looked up the numbers on Ball and 76.4% of their students are classified as "economically disadvantaged", what type of staff can you afford/build/retain with numbers like that? Everybody capable has been moving to north Galveston County to the Dickinson and League City/Clear Lake areas. 

10 hours ago, Cougar14.2 said:

A lot of people like to point to demographic shifts as the reason for the slides. The bigger reason is because there's just not anymore money down there, look at the facilities for instance. I looked up the numbers on Ball and 76.4% of their students are classified as "economically disadvantaged", what type of staff can you afford/build/retain with numbers like that? Everybody capable has been moving to north Galveston County to the Dickinson and League City/Clear Lake areas. 

Galveston is dangerous to live in.   

16 hours ago, Separation Scientist said:

Galveston is dangerous to live in.   

Everywhere that a large percentage of the population lives below the poverty line is going to be dangerous, especially with the ease of access to weapons. Baytown has some good neighborhoods to live in but they also had 5 murders in December alone. Even when your community is relatively safe like Crosby you can still end up with a situation like the three bodies they found yesterday. Galveston has some rough areas but I'd much rather be caught there than Texas City, La Marque, Hitchcock or parts of Dickinson.  

4 hours ago, Cougar14.2 said:

Everywhere that a large percentage of the population lives below the poverty line is going to be dangerous, especially with the ease of access to weapons. 

Both sets of my grandparents came from Louisiana to Beaumont a century ago. My Dads dad was gassed by the Germans in WWI. He barely survived, but his lungs were severely burnt up, and could not do much more that get out of a chair to walk across the room. He had 8 kids and never worked again. Moms dad suffered from heart failure and repetitive hernias. He tried to run a filling station, but never made much money at all. Mom was one of 5 kids. Both my parents were "depression era" kids, and survived by planting gardens, making their own cloths, and eschewing real medical care. The babies were born at home, not in hospitals. I grew up in a tiny home without air conditioning. Dad worked hard, but it took time to build things up because him and Mom had to start from literally nothing. 

My grandparents were beyond poor. They nearly starved during the depression. However, they, and my parents, were devout Christians who never, ever even thought about using poverty as an excuse for committing killings, drug abuse and other crimes like the "poor" do today.

I fully reject "poverty" as an excuse for crime. The breakdown of the nuclear family and the associated immorality lifestyles are to blame.  

12 hours ago, Separation Scientist said:

Both sets of my grandparents came from Louisiana to Beaumont a century ago. My Dads dad was gassed by the Germans in WWI. He barely survived, but his lungs were severely burnt up, and could not do much more that get out of a chair to walk across the room. He had 8 kids and never worked again. Moms dad suffered from heart failure and repetitive hernias. He tried to run a filling station, but never made much money at all. Mom was one of 5 kids. Both my parents were "depression era" kids, and survived by planting gardens, making their own cloths, and eschewing real medical care. The babies were born at home, not in hospitals. I grew up in a tiny home without air conditioning. Dad worked hard, but it took time to build things up because him and Mom had to start from literally nothing. 

My grandparents were beyond poor. They nearly starved during the depression. However, they, and my parents, were devout Christians who never, ever even thought about using poverty as an excuse for committing killings, drug abuse and other crimes like the "poor" do today.

I fully reject "poverty" as an excuse for crime. The breakdown of the nuclear family and the associated immorality lifestyles are to blame.  

Lol, I wish it would've been as easy for my grandparents. My grandpa was born in 1906 to a freedman, you really don't want to go there. Your story sounds like a fairytale. Our difference in understanding is the reason I cheer for the underdog in the hopes sports can change their lives and elevate them above the stigma you so clearly expressed. 

It's not February yet though so back to hoping Coach P isn't interested in going to Pearland and seeing who Crosby will donkey stomp on La Porte's sideline next year.  

9 hours ago, Cougar14.2 said:

Your story sounds like a fairytale.

I don't know why you say that. You really think I just made that up? A fairytell? Seriously? 

No one is pointing at your grandparents. What I am doing is contrasting the privileged poor of today that gang bangs and commits the vast majority of crimes then uses "poverty" as an excuse, to the preceding generations that were FAR poorer than the poor of today, but were solid, law abiding citizens. The world has changed. Fathers are mostly absent and the welfare generation is running wild. Over the past year many cities have became war zones. Its not mostly isolated to Chicago, NY, and LA anymore. Sad days for whats left of America.