Barbay leaving Jasper

AggiesAreWe

I'll be honest. I kept checking this board expecting to see that he was moving on in some way. It just felt like it was time. I'm sure the next coach will also be the AD as Coach Barbay was. I'm sure some good coaches will apply, but Coach Alvarez's track record and familiarity with the program would be hard to pass up. I wonder how much smoke there really is to that speculation. 

31 minutes ago, purpleeagle said:

Brother retired, then went to merryville. 

get that dual retirement! Darrell gonna do same thing. 😆 of course not until he leads the Wolverines to the promised land.

unfortunately for both Bryan&Darrell their careers combined doesn't come close to the LEGEND that is Curtis Barbay.

2 hours ago, Dirty_but_Dazzling said:

get that dual retirement! Darrell gonna do same thing. 😆 of course not until he leads the Wolverines to the promised land.

unfortunately for both Bryan&Darrell their careers combined doesn't come close to the LEGEND that is Curtis Barbay.

It ain’t over yet 

It's hard to argue the criticism about the Silsbee situation. There are two sides to that story, but either way it should have made us want to play the Tigers even more. Like I said before, Barbay did a good job in Jasper overall and he had two really good teams in 2018 and 2019. I wish him and his family well, but it's time for us to turn the page. 

The next coach has his work cut out for him retooling the offense. Bronson is doing an amazing job with his defense and that needs to be left alone unless he gets the job and hires another coordinator. It'll be interesting to see what the school board decides to do. 

31 minutes ago, Bulldogs92 said:

It's hard to argue the criticism about the Silsbee situation. There are two sides to that story, but either way it should have made us want to play the Tigers even more. Like I said before, Barbay did a good job in Jasper overall and he had two really good teams in 2018 and 2019. I wish him and his family well, but it's time for us to turn the page. 

The next coach has his work cut out for him retooling the offense. Bronson is doing an amazing job with his defense and that needs to be left alone unless he gets the job and hires another coordinator. It'll be interesting to see what the school board decides to do. 

Well if Alvarez comes I guess y’all will be going back to a Wing T/ Slot formation 

21 minutes ago, LCMAlumtiger32 said:

Well if Alvarez comes I guess y’all will be going back to a Wing T/ Slot formation 

Not necessarily. That would be a lil bit different from what he ran at Ennis, Copperas Cove and Cuero from what I've seen. He mixed it up alot. 

Coach Alvarez still bases his offense out of the wing-T.   Scat, scat trap, etc.   

But over the years, the one thing that seperates him from other wing T guys is he will throw the ball.   He’s not afraid to throw it 15 times a game, and he will mix some shot gun in there as well.

Alvarez would kill it in Jasper, and I agree that Cuero don’t have the athletes Jasper does.   Not many schools do, but I don’t see him leaving Cuero after 2 years.

This may depend on what Mrs Alvarez wants.   His oldest Brandon, is in Garrison with the grandkids, so that may have some sway in his decision.

Coach Alvarez still bases his offense out of the wing-T.   Scat, scat trap, etc.   

But over the years, the one thing that seperates him from other wing T guys is he will throw the ball.   He’s not afraid to throw it 15 times a game, and he will mix some shot gun in there as well.

Alvarez would kill it in Jasper, and I agree that Cuero don’t have the athletes Jasper does.   Not many schools do, but I don’t see him leaving Cuero after 2 years.

This may depend on what Mrs Alvarez wants.   His oldest Brandon, is in Garrison with the grandkids, so that may have some sway in his decision.

21 hours ago, Bulldogs92 said:

Barbay had a good season this year and last. Nothing wrong with his results in Jasper. Had to deal with Carthage and some tough outs in the playoffs.

On 1/15/2022 at 11:43 AM, Dirty_but_Dazzling said:

AMEN Curtis was the man