Silsbee at WO.S

Who That

7 minutes ago, TxStBobcatDad said:

WOS by 3

So we're looking at something like 105 to 102?ย  Just kidding.

It's clear that the Tigers' district strategy is to simply to outscore their opponents.ย  And the key is three point efficiency.ย  If they can lure the Mustangs into running up and down, which is always a temptation, and can hit their 3's then the Tigers will score in triple figures.ย  Now, can the Mustangs hang with that? Factor in also that since this is an important away game and there probably won't be anything like a 30 point separation the Tigers likely play only the first 8 or 9 and they'll maintain a higher intensity longer than against Lumberton or Bridge City.

Except for only a small number of possessions the Tigers simply refused to let Lumberton run it's offence.ย  It's not that Silsbee shut the Raiders down exactly.ย  It's rather that most times down the Tigers either quickly generated a turnover or gave Lumberton a quick shot, a good number of which they made.ย  After all, scoring 63 is not bad.ย  But scoring 94 in 3 quarters is at another level.

I can see a game like Silsbee/Orangefield where the Bobcats had plenty of opportunities and scored plenty but were simply outscored.ย  Or not.

ย 

This will likely be Silsbeeโ€™s closest district game (even though WOS will finish somewhere between 5th and 3rd in district), like it is manyย years (close being a relative term). ย This is because WOS always has the next most talent in the district, even though they are chronic underperformers against its other district foes.ย 

3 hours ago, catfever said:

IDK.ย  West Orange likes to play fast.

If I am coaching any team in this district, I am not going to try and run with Silsbee. You have to slow it down and force them into a half court game. Otherwise, you may score 60-80 points, but you will lose by 25+.

WO-S best chance of keeping it "close" is to utilize their height and length and slow the game down.

I remember around 2014 or so WOS beat Silsbee in a district playoff to win district. I think WOS lost to Navasota that year in the Regional Tournament. Silsbee lost to Yates in the 3rd round in Huntsville on a raining Tuesday night. I remember one of my brother in laws and I driving back to Houston in the pouring down rain. Yates beat Navasota to advance to state that year.ย 

11 minutes ago, BADSANTA said:

I remember around 2014 or so WOS beat Silsbee in a district playoff to win district. I think WOS lost to Navasota that year in the Regional Tournament. Silsbee lost to Yates in the 3rd round in Huntsville on a raining Tuesday night. I remember one of my brother in laws and I driving back to Houston in the pouring down rain. Yates beat Navasota to advance to state that year.ย 

WOS took 2 of 3 from Silsbee that year. ย Laquarious Paige was on another level. ย 

1 hour ago, JimThorpe said:

Was he back for the Orangefield game?ย  This make the whole thing more interesting.ย  How tall?ย  I wasn't planning on going to the game but now....

ย 

He was back for the Orangefield game and he did make a difference.ย  I believe the Orange Leader said that he had 9 points and 13 boards.ย  He is about 6'5" and has some hops.