Huffman-Hargrave 47 Hardin-Jefferson 85/Final

32 minutes ago, FALCONS2026 said:

It's not normal for them to be out of a game by the 2nd period. If the game was still within reach those kids never see the floor.

Gotcha. I can agree with that. I had also heard that one of Huffmans returning starters transferred to another school district and didn’t play basketball this year.

2 hours ago, bullets13 said:

HJ is a little better than last year, and Huffman is not nearly as good as last year.  That said, they're still a pretty good team, and this was an unexpected result.  I had HJ winning by 10-15 points.  Huffman is now 14-9, but pretty much every loss but one has come to a quality team with a good record, and only two of those losses have been blowouts.  Still, this is a far cry from last year's 29-2 squad.  Speaking of last year's team, what happened to Harvey?  Is he playing somewhere in college?  I tried the google and couldn't find anything.  

I can remember some folks questioning my basketball IQ when I suggested HJ would be as good as last year. I agree with you, I think they are a little better. Not quite as deep but pretty solid. 

23 hours ago, FALCONS2026 said:

It's not normal for them to be out of a game by the 2nd period. If the game was still within reach those kids never see the floor.

"those kids" looked better than the starters, if we're honest.  You're making an argument that doesn't really match what happened.  The assertion you're making is that this game was lopsided because HH played a lot of subs for a lot of the game.  HJ was up 30 on the starters early in the 2nd quarter.  Huffman starters couldn't do anything against the press or in the half court offense.  If anything, "those kids" came in and did a better job keeping things close.   You say that HJ isn't 40 points better than Huffman, but HJ could've won that game by 50-60 if they'd wanted to, regardless of which players Barrett chose to put on the floor.  I don't think HJ beats Huffman by 40 consistently, but they were MORE than 40 points better than them in Sour Lake this week.  

17 hours ago, bullets13 said:

"those kids" looked better than the starters, if we're honest.  You're making an argument that doesn't really match what happened.  The assertion you're making is that this game was lopsided because HH played a lot of subs for a lot of the game.  HJ was up 30 on the starters early in the 2nd quarter.  Huffman starters couldn't do anything against the press or in the half court offense.  If anything, "those kids" came in and did a better job keeping things close.   You say that HJ isn't 40 points better than Huffman, but HJ could've won that game by 50-60 if they'd wanted to, regardless of which players Barrett chose to put on the floor.  I don't think HJ beats Huffman by 40 consistently, but they were MORE than 40 points better than them in Sour Lake this week.  

That was really long. I like the commitment to argue with someone who isn't trying to argue. I'll try again (though I don't think it will work).

Yes "those kids" kept it closer than the starters and that in itself is a testament to just how off the starters were. Couple that with how "ON"  HJ started shooting it and you get the result from Tuesday. Huffman beat HJ by almost 30 at home last year. They weren't 30 points better. It happens. Teams have off nights. Like I said it will be closer when they play again.

Having said all of that HJ is a good team and will make some noise this year. I expect them to meet Silsbee at the regional tournament.

1 hour ago, FALCONS2026 said:

That was really long. I like the commitment to argue with someone who isn't trying to argue. I'll try again (though I don't think it will work).

Yes "those kids" kept it closer than the starters and that in itself is a testament to just how off the starters were. Couple that with how "ON"  HJ started shooting it and you get the result from Tuesday. Huffman beat HJ by almost 30 at home last year. They weren't 30 points better. It happens. Teams have off nights. Like I said it will be closer when they play again.

Having said all of that HJ is a good team and will make some noise this year. I expect them to meet Silsbee at the regional tournament.

Not if both win district. Then they would meet 3rd round.