KOGT shutting down after 73 years on air

PhatMack19

Hopefully he will do some play by play on SETX or Texanlive.  Gary Stelly is one of the best.

I recall listening to games all the way back to 1988 (I’m sure there are some earlier).  When I couldn’t make a game, Gary was the next best thing!

I wish him and the KOGT folks nothing but the best.  I will miss my daily visits to KOGT.COM

My fondest memory will be listening to the 2000 WOS VS CAL ALLEN game on replay.  Stelly was mucho annoyed by the constant “go, go, go” by the Cal Allen cheerleaders.  His call of the game winning score still sticks with me.

KOGT has been the only pipeline of local news with weekly visits with the judge, LIT Orange, county and city meeting minutes, police reports, local business promotions, charitable events, etc. Dang, as I’m listing them its becoming more evident that Orange County will hurt without KOGT.

Furthermore, KOGT promoted many school events other than football. They broadcast, baseball, basketball, softball as well. These are programs that attract less attendance but still attracted a radio audience. 

It won’t take long after their closing to realize the true impact.

1 hour ago, mat said:

KOGT has been the only pipeline of local news with weekly visits with the judge, LIT Orange, county and city meeting minutes, police reports, local business promotions, charitable events, etc. Dang, as I’m listing them its becoming more evident that Orange County will hurt without KOGT.

Furthermore, KOGT promoted many school events other than football. They broadcast, baseball, basketball, softball as well. These are programs that attract less attendance but still attracted a radio audience. 

This!

2 hours ago, mat said:

Very very true. It won’t take long at all!

On 12/29/2021 at 7:05 AM, mat said:

Surely someone recognizes this and takes it over or renames it to continue coverage of some sort??

1 hour ago, setxathlete14 said:

Surely someone recognizes this and takes it over or renames it to continue coverage of some sort??

If the station were to sell, it likely would go to a corporation and not a private owner. Then it would be more of a syndicate type radio station. Only the advertising would be local.

Home grown, owned radio stations are almost extinct.