OTHER TOURNEY GAME THREAD, Dec. 28-30/Post updates here

Silsbee didn't even play very well and beat Madison a few weeks ago.

Now they're slapping us around by 25 points most the game. 

Beyond pathetic. You can pump the brakes on all that going to state talk, as far as I'm concerned. Proof is in the pudding. You played though teams and came up small. That's all on us and nobody else.

2 minutes ago, Tigers94 said:

Silsbee didn't even play very well and beat Madison a few weeks ago.

Now they're slapping us around by 25 points most the game. 

Beyond pathetic. You can pump the brakes on all that going to state talk, as far as I'm concerned. Proof is in the pudding. You played though teams and came up small. That's all on us and nobody else.

Its one tournament. Its not district and its not the playoffs. Its 14-16 year olds having a few bad games. You play these type of tournaments to get better. The 3 teams Silsbee lost to would be favored with Silsbee in Region 3. You can't overreact to a tournament. Silsbee will be fine. 11 more district games to improve and then the playoffs. No other team in Region 3 would have done much better. 

There is sports psychology to all this. Last year Silsbee had some solid seniors. They had Baltrip who could jump and rebound.  They had Gilder who hustled and hit  timely 3s.  Then they beat Yates.  Yates was making it on name inflation.  they were good but not as good as their ranking.  The tigers beat them and we enter this season # 2.  Maybe they really should be # 4 or # 6.  We beat some then ranked 6A teams and the teams confidence is high.  We were confident enough to beat Madison on our turf.  Then we come to the DISD tournament in Dallas.  Dallas is like the Mecca of high school ball.  There's talent all over the state.  BU proved that.  Still, there is basketball mindset in the Dallas area that is like no other area.

Then you play Carter.  You get behind but you can't comeback and beat them.   At that point the team is down, not depressed but sort of questioning themselves.  But they really didn't have time to recover cause they got beat soundly by Bishop Lynch at 6pm that same evening, yesterday.  They beat Wilmer Hutchins only to play Madison again.  They came back and beat Mad. before in Beaumont but this time they are in Dallas.  D Madison is out to settle the score.  

So now the tigers go home.  Get some rest.  Get some practices in and start district play.  They should be wiser and stronger.  They should easily make the playoffs.  How far do they go?  Who knows?

You gotta remember that last championship team in 2018 had 3 star guards And they had 3 or 4 really good guard like players: Langdon Tyler, Chris Martin, Kalon Barnes,. and some good bench players.   This team does not. have that kind of depth. All the guys on this team are appreciated just the same.

11 hours ago, Kountzer said:

There is sports psychology to all this. Last year Silsbee had some solid seniors. They had Baltrip who could jump and rebound.  They had Gilder who hustled and hit  timely 3s.  Then they beat Yates.  Yates was making it on name inflation.  they were good but not as good as their ranking.  The tigers beat them and we enter this season # 2.  Maybe they really should be # 4 or # 6.  We beat some then ranked 6A teams and the teams confidence is high.  We were confident enough to beat Madison on our turf.  Then we come to the DISD tournament in Dallas.  Dallas is like the Mecca of high school ball.  There's talent all over the state.  BU proved that.  Still, there is basketball mindset in the Dallas area that is like no other area.

Then you play Carter.  You get behind but you can't comeback and beat them.   At that point the team is down, not depressed but sort of questioning themselves.  But they really didn't have time to recover cause they got beat soundly by Bishop Lynch at 6pm that same evening, yesterday.  They beat Wilmer Hutchins only to play Madison again.  They came back and beat Mad. before in Beaumont but this time they are in Dallas.  D Madison is out to settle the score.  

So now the tigers go home.  Get some rest.  Get some practices in and start district play.  They should be wiser and stronger.  They should easily make the playoffs.  How far do they go?  Who knows?

I agree to some degree but Silsbee has beat 6A ranked Summer Creek, #1 3A Madison, #12 4A HJ, 1 loss 5A Lufkin, 6A Westbrook, and 4A #24 Center. Their loses have been to BMT United 2x, Carter, Bishop, and Madison. The Dobie lose was without hand the the starters due to football. I think their 16-6 now. Thats a gauntlet of a schedule for a sophomore lead team with a few seniors. Last years seniors had alot of big game experience over 4 years. Remember Dallas Lincoln beat Silsbee to win state with a 15-16 record. Silsbee biggest challenges will be staying  COVID-19 free, Booker T Washington, and maybe FF if they both make it to state.

One thing people need to realize here. This is the first time this group has played in the Dallas area As a high school team at least.  I am not going to use the “refs cheated us” statements but i have been hearing lots of rumbles and rumors based on the refs. With that said i have heard for years about the different way they call games up that way, be it tighter etc.  i have heard that this took a toll on our guys probably effecting their enthusiasm if nothing else.  That can go a long way with a young team.  These few games dont really cause me to have any less enthusiasm over this season than i did going in.  By what i am hearing these rumblings werent just from tiger fans either..

1 hour ago, ST413 said:

One thing people need to realize here. This is the first time this group has played in the Dallas area As a high school team at least.  I am not going to use the “refs cheated us” statements but i have been hearing lots of rumbles and rumors based on the refs. With that said i have heard for years about the different way they call games up that way, be it tighter etc.  i have heard that this took a toll on our guys probably effecting their enthusiasm if nothing else.  That can go a long way with a young team.  These few games dont really cause me to have any less enthusiasm over this season than i did going in.  By what i am hearing these rumblings werent just from tiger fans either..

I know 3 people who were there and only one was Tiger grad. They said the Carter game was joke the way the charges were called vs Silsbee. 3 or 4 of those charges were and ones and the Carter kid feet slid under the Tiger player while in the air. 

One thing I noticed is that they aren't as quick to call jump balls when kids get tied up. Often it was a foul on somebody instead. Don't know if that's normal, or if was just that way in this tourney.

Man this Madison game just really made me angry though. There's no way we beat them on what was a bad night for us and then get blown out. Only explanation is we gave a poor effort and didn't want it. Inexcusable. And no, showing up when the game was all but over doesn't count.

I guess we can find our way again against the mighty Bridge City Cardinals in about a week.

Silsbee still has a chance to make it to state. We're lucky we only have to worry about one or two teams in our way that we'd probably be a slight favorite against. Got a lot of work to do if we want to win it though.

3 hours ago, ST413 said:

One thing people need to realize here. This is the first time this group has played in the Dallas area As a high school team at least.  I am not going to use the “refs cheated us” statements but i have been hearing lots of rumbles and rumors based on the refs. With that said i have heard for years about the different way they call games up that way, be it tighter etc.  i have heard that this took a toll on our guys probably effecting their enthusiasm if nothing else.  That can go a long way with a young team.  These few games dont really cause me to have any less enthusiasm over this season than i did going in.  By what i am hearing these rumblings werent 

No team in Region 3 has played the Tigers schedule. Why are you guys worried? The only thing that matters is district and the playoffs. Coach Sigler schedules these type of games every year. I dont think Silsbee even won a tourney or made it to a finals the last 2 years. You learn from these type of games. Dallas style of ball is different from SETX. I know we won the Whataburger Classic about 6 years ago and made the DISD Finals in 2017. 

2 hours ago, Tigers94 said:

Well for anyone who's slightly interested in the rest of this tournament.

Madison took out WT White 52 - 49 on the left side of the bracket. Winners side will be Carter vs ESD.

I don't know who ESD is, but they 

Episcopal school of Dallas" Another TAPP'S 6A #4 RANK team with a 8-6 record 

1 hour ago, Tigers94 said:

Well these TAPPS 6A schools ain't no joke.

Carter and ESD play for the title at 6pm.

Yep it sure does help when you're able to recruit your players like the TAPP'S schools. Reasons like them are the reason teams like Faith Family Academy should haft to play in a TAPP'S district because their able to recruit. It's not fair to all the small towns schools.🤷🏻‍♂️

I'm not saying this because I live in Houston and BT Washington is not that far away.  Also not because I kinda know their coach. I"m saying put some respeck on BT Washington's name. I've seen Silsbee 3 or 4 times this year. I have not seen Washington.  That should tell you where my loyalty lies.  Washington has good height their best big man Lewis has a reputation as a good player.  Silsbee's press is not as good as it usually is this season. Every dog has it's day.  

If I have to eat cheese if when Silsbee wins regional so be it.  I don't bet so I don't have any tangible skin in this game.