Hamshire-Fannett 60 Hardin-Jefferson 70/FINAL

• AggiesAreWe changed the title to Hamshire-Fannett 60 Hardin-Jefferson 70/FINAL
9 minutes ago, Jerry West said:

Great game, Sears was Awesome and Davis caught fire for HJ.  HF played a great game but struggled with the pressure of the moment in the 4th.  Can’t wait for round 2!!!

Back to back 3s from Davis Jr with 2:30 left in the 4th made the separation. Was just a two point game before that. HF offensively started stalling down the stretch. Guys trying to be heros started playing out of their talent levels and abilities instead of putting the ball in the hands of their best player 🤦🏾‍♂️. HJ put the ball in the hands of Sears and rode him down the stretch which freed up Davis for those shots. It's real simple when you have a stud player in close games. You put the ball in their hands

@Cardinal 1 it was a great game and I’m not sure who’s HF’s best player is.  Watching you guys against Nederland and now HJ, I think #2 and #23 are two of the top but tonight I thought #2 was the best player for HF.  

I noticed #23 didn’t seem to touch the ball much in the last 5 minutes.  Also didn’t think he helped himself out on the defensive end by defending,  seems like he just wants to play offense.  #2 played both sides of the ball.  So when looking at the game we must remember to be the best player you have to play both defense and offense.  

Again both teams looked good but HJ handled the 4th quarter when they needed.  My two cents, I’m a basketball connoisseur and old retired basketball coach, not as good as the two I saw coach tonight.

HJ led by 5 at the end of the 1st. They went up by 7 at the half but came out cold to start the 3rd and HF went on a 10-2 run . Foul trouble to Brown hurt the Hawks late in the first half . Davis hit two deep 3’s and a little floater he was fouled on to put the Hawks back up by 9. Sears sure looked like the best player on the floor tonight. I was also impressed with #3 for the Hawks tonight. He scored some big buckets in the first half and played super defensively. For the Horns I believe it was #2 who was strong on the defensive end and #5 was solid as well. #23 played big in spurts and has the tools. Good win for the Hawks 

12 hours ago, Jerry West said:

@Cardinal 1 it was a great game and I’m not sure who’s HF’s best player is.  Watching you guys against Nederland and now HJ, I think #2 and #23 are two of the top but tonight I thought #2 was the best player for HF.  

I noticed #23 didn’t seem to touch the ball much in the last 5 minutes.  Also didn’t think he helped himself out on the defensive end by defending,  seems like he just wants to play offense.  #2 played both sides of the ball.  So when looking at the game we must remember to be the best player you have to play both defense and offense.  

Again both teams looked good but HJ handled the 4th quarter when they needed.  My two cents, I’m a basketball connoisseur and old retired basketball coach, not as good as the two I saw coach tonight.

#23 defending all night lol. Had 21pts, 8 rebs, 2blks, and 3stls. His job is help defense and guarding the forwards from the other team being the biggest player. When he was switched on Sears, he came off the ball.  #2 plays the PG which means he guards the 1 and the 2 along with #5. HJ runs their offense through their 1 and 2 so yeah they will be one on one all night in a spread/motion offensive on defense. You are right, no he didn't touch the ball much down the stretch which is on the coach as he and Denson where the mismatches that HJ had no answers for.  Also Sears had less then 5 rebs, no steals, no blks. Defensive rebs, steals, and blks determine defense last time I checked. Sears was dominant down the stretch offensively due to his coach putting the ball in his hand as he should and he went right at HFs best defender and did his thing. Looked very good and with the win, yeah he should be picked as the best player that night. But statically he wasn't.

12 hours ago, whsalum said:

HJ led by 5 at the end of the 1st. They went up by 7 at the half but came out cold to start the 3rd and HF went on a 10-2 run . Foul trouble to Brown hurt the Hawks late in the first half . Davis hit two deep 3’s and a little floater he was fouled on to put the Hawks back up by 9. Sears sure looked like the best player on the floor tonight. I was also impressed with #3 for the Hawks tonight. He scored some big buckets in the first half and played super defensively. For the Horns I believe it was #2 who was strong on the defensive end and #5 was solid as well. #23 played big in spurts and has the tools. Good win for the Hawks 

HJ had plan and stuck to it. HF unfortunately hasn't figured out who's the leader of the team and the go to guy down the stretch. Every team has to have that guy who statistically can get high percentage buckets under pressure in closing. Sears is HJs, HF has guards who fight over the ball and that's because in my opinion the coaching staff doesn't want to hurt feelings and is trying to be way too fair. HF offense also doesn't fit all it's players. It's a read and react offense that requires a level of basketball IQ that only maybe 3 or 4 of the guys on the entire team has enough to run. At the end of the day HF had two of the biggest and most skill guys on the court and neither of them touched the ball in the post or ran pick and roll win each other because that's not the offense they run. HJ ran pick and roll/pop all night between their two best offensive players and everyone else played defense and played off those players. Ardoin had a bad shooting night from 3 going 2-6 but still put in 21pts 8rebs 3stls 2blks. HF took way to many band shots down the stretch with players who don't know, or refuse to play, their roles! Everyone can't be the man or the closer. There can be only one and it's always the guy or guys who are the clear mismatches on offense and last nigh it was Ardoin and Denson. Neither of them touched the ball much down the stretch in scoring positions. No one else should have taken a shot in the last 5 mins of that game for HF but them two players as Sears and Davis where for HJ. Defining roles is on the coaches, not the players. 

#23 is definitely HF best overall player. #4 is there best athlete and defender. One difference IMO is HJ has 4 and even Davis can lock down and play defense when he wants to but HF only has 3. HJ can switch everything and keep ppl fresh by rotating who’s having to lock down the other teams scorer. HJ can cause  a mis match with there offense and take advantage of it better than HF can. Also HJ closes out on shooters as good as any team I’ve seen. HF seemed to be off from the outside but I think HJ had a lot to do with it. The 3’s HF made were all well contested they were  just good shots. My take away from this game is both teams are good and have potential to get better. I think if they play 10 times HJ wins 8 of them but with the talent level of both teams it should be 5-5. You can say it’s coaching you can say it’s basketball IQ of the players idk what but HJ is definitely a better ball club at this point in the year. They better both continue to improve if they want to knock off silsbee and take the region. I will say this, all 3 Silsbee, HJ, and Fannett are all better than the Huffman team that won the region last year…

1 hour ago, Cardinal 1 said:

#23 defending all night lol. Had 21pts, 8 rebs, 2blks, and 3stls. His job is help defense and guarding the forwards from the other team being the biggest player. When he was switched on Sears, he came off the ball.  #2 plays the PG which means he guards the 1 and the 2 along with #5. HJ runs their offense through their 1 and 2 so yeah they will be one on one all night in a spread/motion offensive on defense. You are right, no he didn't touch the ball much down the stretch which is on the coach as he and Denson where the mismatches that HJ had no answers for.  Also Sears had less then 5 rebs, no steals, no blks. Defensive rebs, steals, and blks determine defense last time I checked. Sears was dominant down the stretch offensively due to his coach putting the ball in his hand as he should and he went right at HFs best defender and did his thing. Looked very good and with the win, yeah he should be picked as the best player that night. But statically he wasn't.

Looking at this break down I wouldn’t be able to tell who won the game?? Sears did a masterful job of breaking the defense down and dishing the ball where it needed to go. He could penetrate the defense at will and did when he needed to. HF doesn’t have the go to guy that steps up and demands the basketball with the game on the line. #2 was the closest player I saw to anyone doing this. Everyone has a different opinion I guess but I personally would have put #5 on the block and pounded the basketball in to him. I don’t the kids name but #3 from HJ was the most impressive defender I saw last night. Early foul trouble on Brown kept him on the bench for extended periods of time and kept the game closer than it would have been otherwise.

1 hour ago, Cardinal 1 said:

HJ had plan and stuck to it. HF unfortunately hasn't figured out who's the leader of the team and the go to guy down the stretch. Every team has to have that guy who statistically can get high percentage buckets under pressure in closing. Sears is HJs, HF has guards who fight over the ball and that's because in my opinion the coaching staff doesn't want to hurt feelings and is trying to be way too fair. HF offense also doesn't fit all it's players. It's a read and react offense that requires a level of basketball IQ that only maybe 3 or 4 of the guys on the entire team has enough to run. At the end of the day HF had two of the biggest and most skill guys on the court and neither of them touched the ball in the post or ran pick and roll win each other because that's not the offense they run. HJ ran pick and roll/pop all night between their two best offensive players and everyone else played defense and played off those players. Ardoin had a bad shooting night from 3 going 2-6 but still put in 21pts 8rebs 3stls 2blks. HF took way to many band shots down the stretch with players who don't know, or refuse to play, their roles! Everyone can't be the man or the closer. There can be only one and it's always the guy or guys who are the clear mismatches on offense and last nigh it was Ardoin and Denson. Neither of them touched the ball much down the stretch in scoring positions. No one else should have taken a shot in the last 5 mins of that game for HF but them two players as Sears and Davis where for HJ. Defining roles is on the coaches, not the players. 

We are 17 games into the season if roles haven’t been defined by now it’s probably not gonna happen this year. I don’t know anything HF’s new coach but he looked like he had a pretty good handle on things last night. I know they have an assistant that was a top notch head guy in the area for years. 

2 hours ago, whsalum said:

Looking at this break down I wouldn’t be able to tell who won the game?? Sears did a masterful job of breaking the defense down and dishing the ball where it needed to go. He could penetrate the defense at will and did when he needed to. HF doesn’t have the go to guy that steps up and demands the basketball with the game on the line. #2 was the closest player I saw to anyone doing this. Everyone has a different opinion I guess but I personally would have put #5 on the block and pounded the basketball in to him. I don’t the kids name but #3 from HJ was the most impressive defender I saw last night. Early foul trouble on Brown kept him on the bench for extended periods of time and kept the game closer than it would have been otherwise.

HF has a go to guy, two as a matter of fact, they weren't getting the ball down the stretch as one was on the bench for some reason most of the 4th and half the 3rd, and the other didn't touch the ball last 5 mins of the game despite having 21pts. Their offense is read and react, not pick and roll like HJ. #2 went 4/12, 0-3 from 3, had 6 TOs, only 2 rebounds. That's why analytics are very important and not just the eyes. What you saw was a kid who's girlfriend was probably in the stands and he was trying to impress 🤣. #5 only got 5 touches total going 4/5 when it should have been over 10 plus. That's not on the players at all. Sears doesn't demand the ball down the stretch, he doesn't have to, it's an automatic given rule by the coach. #3 for HJ was the x factor for them. He gave 14pts all off rebounds and hustle plays. Brown was being held by Ardoin and for some crazy reason they had Brown holding him a lot in the game which is why he wasn't a factor and in foul trouble. Hard to defend and get by another guard that has you by 30lbs 🤷🏾‍♂️. He's a good kid though, comes from a great family. 

2 hours ago, whsalum said:

We are 17 games into the season if roles haven’t been defined by now it’s probably not gonna happen this year. I don’t know anything HF’s new coach but he looked like he had a pretty good handle on things last night. I know they have an assistant that was a top notch head guy in the area for years. 

Two staters went 8/25 total with 10 TOs while your other two went 11/20 total with 2 TOs and one of them had a bad shooting night from 3 and still had a 47% FG. You ride the mismatches in games and put the ball in the hands of your high percentage shooters. It may change from game to game, but not when you have a stud. They are always the mismatch that others must play off of them. HJ had Sears which opened up things for Davis and Malbrough, HF is trying to give everyone an equal opportunity which keeps back firing in tough or close games. But at the sametime you have to have players who want to win no matter what and who scores. Knowing your role which is based on your abilities and skills is a big problem for teams with a lot of talent. Everyone can't be "the man" or "the guy". You simply have to do what you do best that helps the team win. Ardoin #23 is my kid and that's why he can put up 20pts as well as numbers in every statistical category every game, because he does whatever the coach ask him to do at any given time during the game. When told to take over, he does. The freedom to simply do so was taken from him after some players and parents complained when he was dropping 25-30pts in games and responsible for them winning. Last year Rideaux didn't care who got mad, he played the best players that fit that game and ran the offense through the mismatches. If it was one player, that player got the ball every single offensive possession and the others played off them. A lot of parents didn't like him for that and he didn't care one bit. He won games period!

3 hours ago, Wise_one said:

#23 is definitely HF best overall player. #4 is there best athlete and defender. One difference IMO is HJ has 4 and even Davis can lock down and play defense when he wants to but HF only has 3. HJ can switch everything and keep ppl fresh by rotating who’s having to lock down the other teams scorer. HJ can cause  a mis match with there offense and take advantage of it better than HF can. Also HJ closes out on shooters as good as any team I’ve seen. HF seemed to be off from the outside but I think HJ had a lot to do with it. The 3’s HF made were all well contested they were  just good shots. My take away from this game is both teams are good and have potential to get better. I think if they play 10 times HJ wins 8 of them but with the talent level of both teams it should be 5-5. You can say it’s coaching you can say it’s basketball IQ of the players idk what but HJ is definitely a better ball club at this point in the year. They better both continue to improve if they want to knock off silsbee and take the region. I will say this, all 3 Silsbee, HJ, and Fannett are all better than the Huffman team that won the region last year…

HJ boys played this summer with each other in grassroots tournaments. They are far ahead of a lot of teams in chemistry because of that. HJ isn't more talented then HF, they have better chemistry. HF still trying to figure out their roles, HJ knows theirs which is why they won. My son has played and trained with many of the HJ players since 7th grade so they all are familiar with each other and good friends. Him and RJ know each other's game like the back of their hands. It was fun for me actually watching the game and them play. I just didn't like the way we lost in not feeding our big man #5 down low or running pick and roll between him and #23. HJ ran pick and pop between Sears and Davis which gave both of them opportunities to get to their spots. The better prepared team won yesterday for sure. Game two at HF will definitely be another good one and might determine the Championship. 

47 minutes ago, Cardinal 1 said:

HJ boys played this summer with each other in grassroots tournaments. They are far ahead of a lot of teams in chemistry because of that. HJ isn't more talented then HF, they have better chemistry. HF still trying to figure out their roles, HJ knows theirs which is why they won. My son has played and trained with many of the HJ players since 7th grade so they all are familiar with each other and good friends. Him and RJ know each other's game like the back of their hands. It was fun for me actually watching the game and them play. I just didn't like the way we lost in not feeding our big man #5 down low or running pick and roll between him and #23. HJ ran pick and pop between Sears and Davis which gave both of them opportunities to get to their spots. The better prepared team won yesterday for sure. Game two at HF will definitely be another good one and might determine the Championship. 

So is Silsbee in the district with Both?...Cause if so i will be in Silsbee Monday to watch the Silsbee vs HJ game.