West Orange Stark job open/HICKMAN APPROVED

aTmfan06

12 hours ago, WOSdrummer99 said:

10 hours and 3 pages later, I'm late to the show.

First and foremost, on behalf of Mustang fans everywhere. I'd like to thank Coach Thompson for everything he has done for our school and students throughout his career. He's one of a kind, a classic that cant be duplicated. Even drives the same old blue truck. Which reminds me of the first time I met him. After the 86 championship game, there was a crowd of people waiting for the team to arrive behind the school. He was the first one off the bus, but only to tell people to get out the back of old blue.

I've been biting my tongue after hearing this for the past 3 seasons. His son has been telling people not to keep their kids at WOS cuz T wouldn't be there much longer. He missed the 1st game against Nederland, and we all know how that turned out. The petition, started by my classmate, who by the way had no bad words about Hooks or T while he was playing. Then the whole Zig ordeal. Oh and did anyone mention, no more Chain Gang. That's like telling PNG no more Indians. Or like telling some of these other schools, "I need more cowbell". Most of us saw what was coming from a mile away. I've been hoping for the best. But when Gales went down, so did alot of hopes and dreams.

Now as for the next coach. There should be applicants from all over the state and possibly the nation. Peevey saw what was coming and went north just in time to take advantage of the upcoming power vacuum. I even think BC sought out a championship caliber coach hoping to catch some future fallout. But if there is already someone currently on staff picked as a replacement. I can only think of one or two that would be deemed acceptable in this new state of our program. And no, neither of them are coordinators.

My preference is to continue the traditions set by almost 40 years of dominance. This would mean having a coach familiar with the community and the system. Making Toby the obvious choice. That is if he even wants the job and has the qualifications (masters degree for AD.) Dont forget all the alumni that could come with Toby. Names like Locks and Gans. Maybe even an Anderson, Thomas, or Bevil. He could put together a dream team style coaching staff.

But as some have said here before, they feel its time for black coach. Race, religion, or sexual orientation should in no way have any bearing on the upcoming hiring process. Best candidate for the position period!!!

Now for the community. And by saying that, I mean those of us that still live in the district, pay taxes, and actually get out and vote. Let us not bow to the opinions of those who have left our area. We voted for a bond to build new schools some years ago, and upgraded sports facilities more recently. All of which bear the names of WOS coaching legends. Breedlove field @ Hooks stadium, with Thompson's name on the indoor training facility. We are the Mustangs. Always have been and always will be. The day I wear green and gold on friday is the day I delete my account and ride off into the sunset.

"Mustang Nation" is everywhere. From Orange to Ohio, from Cove to Cowboy Church. And all parts in between. I've been 1000 miles from home and ran into people from Texas that never heard of Orange, but knew about WOS Football. I've also been at Chilis watching the Seahawks and told some hurricane chasers about Earl Thomas as a RB.

No matter how we want the program to move forward, it will. It's not a decision that will be made by social media analysts such as myself. It will be made by those voted into power, the school board. Not a decision that can be easily made. And if it doesn't work out, there may be more names on the ballot next year.

Well I know these guys are black. One is a kin folk. No one will bow down they will hire whom ever they like no matter what me or anyone else says period!

Man! I will definitely miss coach T because of his philosophy defense. It will never be same or replace like his way. 

I really hope that school board will make a right decision to hire than superintendent. It is all about qualification and experience period! It should be no favorism! 

Of course, Toby Foreman will fit this program and keep the tradition success. 

I will shock if they hire someone who not know or anything because it will destroy WOS football program even hurt kids as well. Foreman will make kids to success and encourage them to attend college that he willing to work hard for kids. 

I hope that Orange community people keep eye and stay together to stand up what WOCCISD school board and superintendent to make a decision. School board is more power than superintendent. Again, we can't see what their inside. 

20 hours ago, ladybug33 said:

Well Dang, I'm,  not ready for coach T. to retire, I was hoping that he would stay on as AD at least.

Problem with a small school district is they can't (won't) pay him close to $100K to be the AD, and then pay another guy close to that to coach football.  Because there's no way you're going to get an established coach to come in and be the head football coach but get paid half of what he'd get somewhere else because he's not AD.  

5 hours ago, BMTSoulja1 said:

I'm just saying... a program and fanbase that states they love and care of Foreman...  he even stated how much he loves Orange and the program himself...  But they went with a coach that was at the time 61 years old over a young, firey and enthusiastic young Coach in Toby.  They didn't think much of him back then.  Just saying, Since he is in a way better situation now, I figured the logical thing to do would be to stay put.  But I guess it's good to have a short memory or easily forgive.  To each their own.  

Forgive what?  I don't think Toby moped around whining about Coach T getting the job nor does WOS need to be forgiven for promoting a coach with over 40 years in the system who took them to at least the region finals 10 of his 11 years. I'm thinking Toby will be on the short list of quality coaches.

45 minutes ago, bullets13 said:

Problem with a small school district is they can't (won't) pay him close to $100K to be the AD, and then pay another guy close to that to coach football.  Because there's no way you're going to get an established coach to come in and be the head football coach but get paid half of what he'd get somewhere else because he's not AD.  

Peevy makes more then that. Crouch was over 100k when he left. From what I understand he’s getting paid more than Crouch was coming in his first year. 

2 hours ago, Bobcat1 said:

I am friends with a LOT of teachers at WOS-Elementary and the principal he brought there has been a nightmare to work with. I see several openings in the near future. 

I can second this. My girlfriend taught at the WOS elementary campus and left after the 2020-2021 school year. She left because she didn't like how the previous principal was running (or not running) the school, but her friends that still teach there this year say things are way worse with the new principal. FWIW they all like the superintendent.  

22 minutes ago, Reagan said:

Now, not sure why Foreman would be considered for any job. Considering this:  3-9 this year.  39-46 prior to this.  Has been a head coach for 9 years and No State Championships and no State Championship appearances.  

It is not matter with record. He will success WOS program because he know the system. Plus he love kids and know very well in Orange community.

Good example, coach T did coach at Palestine HS and it was not success then come back to WOS and back good program again.  

Again, it up to school board to make a decision.  

1 hour ago, bullets13 said:

That makes sense

22 minutes ago, WOS1986 said:

It is not matter with record. He will success WOS program because he know the system. Plus he love kids and know very well in Orange community.

Good example, coach T did coach at Palestine HS and it was not success then come back to WOS and back good program again.  

Again, it up to school board to make a decision.  

Unfortunately for a coach, you can’t run away from your record.  Especially a losing record.  Coach T spent  year at Palestine.  Not long enough to establish anything.  You hire someone with a losing record don’t be surprised at what you get.  Can a coach you hire win the State Championship.  That ought to be the measuring stick.  

41 minutes ago, Reagan said:

Unfortunately for a coach, you can’t run away from your record.  Especially a losing record.  Coach T spent  year at Palestine.  Not long enough to establish anything.  You hire someone with a losing record don’t be surprised at what you get.  Can a coach you hire win the State Championship.  That ought to be the measuring stick.  

Yes, he can.

The superintendent may not know the area but he should have done a lot of extensive research on areas where he is about to work. Before I go visit places, I always do a lot of extensive research on them. Anyway, as a manager of the 2000 4A Division II State Finalist football team for the Mustangs, I congrats to Coach T on his retirement! We need a coach who can carry on the tradition of winning at West Orange-Stark and more importantly a coach preferable have SETX and Texas ties. Someone who knows about the sport very well as well as SETX and the State of Texas and someone who is willing to make the sacrifice to win at all costs! We could care less about race/sexual orientation/socio-economic status! We also need an athletic director who can hire coaches who can perform higher than expected in all sports (not just football)! Anyone agree?

4 hours ago, LCMAlumtiger32 said:

Peevy makes more then that. Crouch was over 100k when he left. From what I understand he’s getting paid more than Crouch was coming in his first year. 

Yes, but I think you misread my post, or didn’t realize the context.  Peevey makes that much because he’s the head football coach AND athletic director.  I had quoted a post saying they wished that WOS would keep Thompson as the AD and bring in another football coach.  There’s no way a small 4A school would pay the money to fill both of those positions, and not many established coaches would come in to be the head football coach without getting the AD money to do so.

11 minutes ago, bullets13 said:

Yes, but I think you misread my post, or didn’t realize the context.  Peevey makes that much because he’s the head football coach AND athletic director.  I had quoted a post saying they wished that WOS would keep Thompson as the AD and bring in another football coach.  There’s no way a small 4A school would pay the money to fill both of those positions, and not many established coaches would come in to be the head football coach without getting the AD money to do so.

Oh sorry i did miss it. 

21 hours ago, CardinalBacker said:

In this season of social justice, renaming institutions like "the blue link," and the familiar outcry from the majority of citizens in WOS, race will be the primary reason for disqualifying white candidates. 

Y'all 'bout to find out about "equity" really means in terms of football, lol.  

There s a reason why Toby is the only candidate that will be considered ……as in what you mentioned above.

• AggiesAreWe changed the title to West Orange Stark job open/HICKMAN APPROVED