West Orange Stark job open/HICKMAN APPROVED

aTmfan06

I can’t wait to see the list of applicants.  Until then it’s all just speculation.

But a job opening like WO-S, you would think there was some problem guys with head coaching experience and probably some pretty good records that got passed up.  Will be interesting to see!

The Super better hopes this works out, or he will be looking for a job in 2 years.   He’s already alienated half of the community with this hire.  Probably more than that.

7 minutes ago, MackLewis said:

I can’t wait to see the list of applicants.  Until then it’s all just speculation.

But a job opening like WO-S, you would think there was some problem guys with head coaching experience and probably some pretty good records that got passed up.  Will be interesting to see!

The Super better hopes this works out, or he will be looking for a job in 2 years.   He’s already alienated half of the community with this hire.  Probably more than that.

Actually this is the doublehead sword of CT , someone had referred to.

This is a well known fact .this is  his pick / Recommendation.... 

The Last "I GOT YOU" to his Best Friend's Son....lol

1 hour ago, AggiesAreWe said:

FYI, Hickman is the lone finalist but still has to be approved by the board. Most likely will be approved but stranger things have happened.

High majority of the time a school board will approve what a supt. recommends.

Many times the board has already given an unofficial off the record approval.

9 minutes ago, mat said:

Many times the board has already given an unofficial off the record approval.

You betcha…..

I would venture to guess that this was not a blindside and nobody behind the scenes saw this coming. The superintendent, like a city manager, is hired by the board/council to work for them and be the administrator of what they want done. Surely there were discussions or indications behind the scenes.

1 hour ago, MackLewis said:

It has been almost 30 years ago but Larry Neumann was not a head coach when he came to Nederland. He was an assistant coach at Thomas Jefferson in Port Arthur. There were almost certainly other applicants, some with head coaching experience and maybe good records. For whatever reason, Nederland decided to go outside and hire an untested assistant. Neumann was thought to be a good fit for that job. 

I think it worked out well for them.

Hopefully Coach Hickman with no head coaching experience, is that good fit and can do the same at WOS. 

Taking a job behind not one, but two hall of famers is not an easy task.  Especially when one of those hall of famers is as responsible as anyone for the first’s success.  Not often is that a successful spot, especially for a first time coach.  I hope Coach Hick kills it at WOS.  Odds are long though - maybe Toby will apply again when the job opens in a couple of years. 

3 minutes ago, TxHoops said:

Taking a job behind not one, but two hall of famers is not an easy task.  Especially when one of those hall of famers is as responsible as anyone for the first’s success.  Not often is that a successful spot, especially for a first time coach.  I hope Coach Hick kills it at WOS.  Odds are long though - maybe Toby will apply again when the job opens in a couple of years. 

I truly hope he's Built For This because the superintendent and CT  has surely set him up for hard times in the community 

1 hour ago, tvc184 said:

It has been almost 30 years ago but Larry Neumann was not a head coach when he came to Nederland. He was an assistant coach at Thomas Jefferson in Port Arthur. There were almost certainly other applicants, some with head coaching experience and maybe good records. For whatever reason, Nederland decided to go outside and hire an untested assistant. Neumann was thought to be a good fit for that job. 

Hopefully Coach Hickman with no head coaching experience, is that good fit and can do the same at WOS. 

Good points.   Austin Westlake just hired a guy with no head coaching experience, and that’s possibly the biggest and best job in Texas.

However, the guy they hired was also a coordinator within the program, not a position coach.    His defenses were also some of the best in the state year after year.   His promotion was a foregone conclusion as soon as Dodge retired.  Much like this situation it sounds like.

Programs promote from within all the time.   Usually someone who has paid his dues within the program and worked his way up to a coordinator position, and had success doing it.

Good luck to Hickman and the Mustangs.   I hope they have continued success.   Time will tell.

1 hour ago, tvc184 said:

Neumann wasn't even Neds first choice, pretty sure he was the 3rd....Seems like the first two backed out.

I think what bothers me the most and many others, is from the very day CT announced his retirement, many were saying the new coach was already on staff that the superintendent already had his candidate. The posting of the job, accepting applications, conducting interviews was all just a formality. Just going through the motions. That makes it seem as though he’s trying to put his personal spin or agenda on the program. Makes it seems sinister. Makes you believe if Todd Dodge applied or Surratt from Carthage they would have been turned down too. 

Just now, marshman said:

I think what bothers me the most and many others, is from the very day CT announced his retirement, many were saying the new coach was already on staff that the superintendent already had his candidate. The posting of the job, accepting applications, conducting interviews was all just a formality. Just going through the motions. That makes it seem as though he’s trying to put his personal spin or agenda on the program. Makes it seems sinister. Makes you believe if Todd Dodge applied or Surratt from Carthage they would have been turned down too. 

They most likely would have got turned down and with other great coaches. Sometimes being friends with your co-workers can be bad thing. But I wish him luck and I don’t blame him for applying for the job. 

• AggiesAreWe changed the title to West Orange Stark job open/HICKMAN APPROVED